JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Or can I get away with food grade buckets and gamma seal lids with the rice and beans poured into the buckets directly? I figure I'd open the lids every other day and use my rice cooker or crockpot to make a meal (with other stuff of course).

Will I need to do the same with the beans?

And again, do I NEED to store this stuff in mylar bags inside food grade buckets if I'm eating this stock? I figure I'd get 100 lbs of rice and 100 lbs of beans and when I get down to 50 lbs of each I get more and eat the old stock.

That's an awful lot of rice and beans to eat all the time. I'd store it long term and eat "real food" until the rice and beans is NEEDED.

That's an awful lot of rice and beans to eat all the time. I'd store it long term and eat "real food" until the rice and beans is NEEDED.

I'm not eating just rice and beans for every meal, but I do eat a lot of rice because I like it in general. I do eat real food, rice is part of many normal peoples daily diet. Think Thai food, Indian food, Teriyaki, etc.

I'm wondering if I need to store it in mylar if I eat it on the regular.

I use 2 5 gallon food grade bucket stored in the panty with rice. I take the lid on and off of them to fill a smaller container of rice that we use till they need filling again. We consume roughly 25 pounds every 3-5 months. So I just keep filling and eating. I've done this for years now. Never had any bugs or anything happen to the rice.

Brown Basmati rice is the rice of choice here, we go through about 8-10 pounds every two months. Rice and potatoes as staples of the wife's diet being Peruvian, as are beans (Peruvian beans) and lentils. We keep a good supply in original packaging.

White rice will apparently last longer in storage than brown rice:

During the financial crisis ~2008, I stored some white rice in a galvanized trash can with a lid; can lined with a plastic garbage bag, and kept on the dry, cold concrete floor in the garage with weight on top to keep out mice, etc. I kept the rice in the original tough plastic zip-lock bags. In May of 2019, I removed a 10 lb bag with an expiration date of Nov 2009 and put it in the pantry. I've been eating out of that bag since then, and it is as good as new - no discoloration, no bugs, no odor.

Rice - 10 lb Golden Star Jasmine Rice Prime Grade Long Grain Fragrant Rice. From Thailand: (probably bought at Safeway or Fred Meyer)

1582004259724.png

Trash Can: (look it over to make sure there are no holes before you buy it)

1582004226951.png

Just make sure to use desiccants around your storage area. Air and moisture are what causes decay, eliminate those and you could store a cheese burger indefinitely.

I use Mason jars for everything. We brake item down to sizes that we keep in kitchen. When that runs out, we grab one off the shelf. Simple easy, no thinking. Easy to see what you have and dont have

Anyone use the small chunk of dry ice trick into the 5 gallon bucket with beans or rice? I read about it in a book yrs ago and it makes sense to push the air out and leave dry Co2 between the food as you seal up the lid. I have never done this but it seams like it would work.

Anyone use the small chunk of dry ice trick into the 5 gallon bucket with beans or rice? I read about it in a book yrs ago and it makes sense to push the air out and leave dry Co2 between the food as you seal up the lid. I have never done this but it seams like it would work.
used it on red wheat stored for about 3 years then made lots of bread with it, you will need to Burp the lid as the co2 builds up when you first add the DI

It's fine in just the bucket, We've been storing some Pintos in a food grade 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma lid in our basement and we're on year 2 and they haven't gone bad...yet:) My wife makes fantastic refried beans when she makes them. We eat less beans than I thought we would. 5 gallons is a lot. We have a dehumidifier down there but it's been off this winter. Probably time to turn it back on.

Good point about weevils in the food. Popping them in the freezer overnight or a couple of days takes care of that issue. The other pain in the neck issue with beans in bulk is that you still have to check for little rocks mixed in with them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top