Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Do you make knives?

Discussion in 'Knives & Other Discussion' started by WhyteCheddar, Jan 19, 2011.

1. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

Would love to see pics of your work and read about your experiences.

I just completed a simple kit knife from Jantz. The blade comes finished, all I had to do was select, form, and install the scales.
    It was a lot more difficult than I had imagined but it was fun and I learned a lot. Even though the completed project didnt turn out 'pristine' like I had envisioned, the process was rewarding and the buddy I made it for was pretty excited about it.
    I plan to do more and would like to start grinding my own blades at some point this summer.
    Here are a couple of pics of the finished knife. The scales are of G10 Black/Blue with brass pins. Steel is 440C Stainless.
    And I should give credit for the pics to my 13yo daughter. :)
    View attachment 19493 View attachment 19494 View attachment 19496 View attachment 19497 View attachment 19498

2. UncalledForGabe

UncalledForGabe Aloha Or. Member

Cool, what kind of steel did you use?

3. WhyteCheddar

This is a 'Wyoming Hunter' blade of 440C Stainless. As I mentioned, the blade came from Jantz already finished. I didnt have to do any steel work on this. I am going to do a couple more this winter where I only have to do the scales then in the summer I am going to attempt to grind my own blades from some old tool steel.

Any advice from those who are into this stuff would be appreciated!

4. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I got bored one day and had read an article in Outdoor Life about making survival knives out of old sawzall blades. This is the result. :)

AKMS-47006.jpg

pdxjohann and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

I would like to learn how to make knives, where would be a good source to start?

SF-

6. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

7. WhyteCheddar

Here is where I have been going for plenty of info.
    BladeForums.com - Powered by vBulletin