Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Do you like Spicy Food?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2Wheels4Ever, May 17, 2014.

1. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

If so, my cousin is starting a hot sauce business, and it is by far the best hot sauce out there. He has a kickstarter up, and you can try out his sauce with a small donation.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/136598712/fym-hot-sauce-spicy-and-flavorful-from-fresh-ingre

His hot sauce is getting some pretty good attention from the Oregonian and Fox12

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2014/05/reddit_fym_hot_sauce_kickstart.html

http://www.kptv.com/story/25521406/local-chili-grower-starts-hot-sauce-company

Doc In UPlace and Certaindeaf like this.
  2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Do you remember that specialty store in Troutdale.?
    It only sold salt and hot sauces etc.. I'm pretty sure it's no longer there. You could sample about everything and that place was packed to the gills with stuff. Best store ever.

3. 2Wheels4Ever

Harry and Davids? I think they are still there.

On a side note, Tapatio was my go to sauce before I tried FYM. FYM is probably 3 times as hot, but has unbelievably great flavor.

4. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

One Labor Day weekend I found myself in spice heaven, New Mexico. These roasters were every where.

nmchili.jpg

Good luck to your cousin in his new venture.

5. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

For a widely available sauce, Dave's Scorpion sauce is a serious product. about 1/4 teaspoon makes an entire 64 oz. can of tomato juice just right for Bloody Marys.

The Scorpion makes Sriracha seem like tomato sauce, be careful. And yes, hot sauces are essential, very good for you too.

Good luck to Dane and FYM!

6. Michael Js

Michael Js Greater Seattle, WA Active Member

Love hot sauces! Just pledged...good luck to him!!

7. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Your cousin has done a great job representing his brand and what he's trying to do. I've been following him on reddit since he first announced it.

Fun photos: http://imgur.com/a/xvkwg

I'm happy to see his Kickstarted campaign doing so well.

8. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Is it just hot or does it have actual flavor?

9. 2Wheels4Ever

Hot it so relative making it hard to say. Most in the family are not accustomed to heat and think it is too hot. I like the heat from his sauce, though if I put too much on it gets a bit hotter than I would like. It is hotter than tabasco, tapitio, saracha, and other common hot sauces. I never liked the strong vinegar flavor from tabasco, and tapitio was my go to before FYM. but the flavor from tapitio is basically chile powder and a bit of cumin. FYM definitely is the best tasting hot sauce I have had. Hope that helps. Pledging $10 gets you a 5oz bottle if I remember correctly on the kickstarter.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  10. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I am going to check out his Kickstarter when I get home. My wife and In love Chohula brand hot sauce and are both not much for the vinegar based sauces. We both like spicy food and typically favor more spicy then most people. We don't like where the spice over powers the dish and its all you taste.

11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Sorry, I don't remember the name of it, there is a salt and condiment store on N. Albina Ave in PDX. Its a few blocks North of Fremont st. On the west side of the street. It's very small and hard to spot! Lots of fun shops and eateries in the vicinity!:p

Certaindeaf likes this.
  12. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Thai basil chicken entirely from scratch is one my specialties. I like to make it with the skinny little Thai chiles chopped very finely, but my family can't stand very much heat. If this sauce could be added once it's on your plate that would allow me to enjoy the amount of heat I like without making the dish inedible for the rest of the family.

13. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My favorite hot sauce is the Habanero sauce at Taco Del Mar. Hot but flavorful! My stomach not like so much as I get older. I used to put Habanero in everything :( Still make Habanero Pickles every year.......