JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Being in a ceremony??? Most people don't like being in the spotlight. I've been an actor/singer/speaker/etc since middle school so I'm good with it. Being in the military one gets used to ceremony. One of the highest moments in my pitiful life was when I was awarded a plaque during the graduation ceremony for USCG Aviation Electronics School for achieving the highest grade point avg they had ever had in the entire history of the school.

At my wedding, I was not embarrassed, but my wife was horrified to find all those eyes on her. She is that way. I'm not.

I have it in my will that there will not be a funeral nor memorial when I pass. However, I have requested a Veteran's military graveside sendoff. The local American Legion provides.

Watching ceremony is boring IMO. TV awards shows, yuck, and now they are so political... no way!!!
:s0042:

I like certain ceremonies, such as marriage at its core. (An oath in front of witnesses.) I can see value in that. Oaths of citizenship. Oaths of the military, oaths of codes of ethics. I like those things that publicly tie ones honor to ones word. Then again, I also hold myself and others to their oaths.
You shouldn't need a witness to keep your word to another... now, telling yourself you're going to quit eating hohos and lose 30lbs, but continue to stuff your face is a different matter entirely!

Though I have no use for ceremony, I will say my wedding day was the happiest day of my life, because I was formally united with "mi media naranja". The religious aspect was conducted in accordance with her Protestant faith, not the Catholicism that I was raised in. Was this ceremony necessary for us formalizing our devotion? No, but it honored our family and tradition, so it is good, I think.

You shouldn't need a witness to keep your word to another... now, telling yourself you're going to quit eating hohos and lose 30lbs, but continue to stuff your face is a different matter entirely!
No but it lends a gravitas to things. It comes down to the elements of honor/shame in my own background. And for me they were quite good. As strange as it might seem this actually allows for certain things to be held accountable in my family and for centuries it is how we keep honor. If I give my word someone regards it only as much worth as they have seen it be deserved. Having kept difficult oaths and promises indicates a depth of worth. Realize I grew up with a very traditional and strict Scots-Irish hillbilly background and name and reputation are all my dad and grandfather had. So I see a value there. Because my family background is poor, honor is the currency.

Last Edited:
Whether or not I like ceremony of any kind is a personal thing, but I would never dream of being obnoxious to the point of real unpleasantness about anybody else's opinions, as has happened a number of times on this thread already.

I'm sorry to say it, but there are some people who need to address their real anger issues about ceremony.

The correct answers to 'do you like ceremony', without causing offence, that is, are as follows -

1. Yes, I enjoy a bit of ceremony, within reason.

2. No, I don't like ceremony - I feel it has no place in our society.

That's all.

There are formal and informal ceremonial occasions.The military is full of them (crossing the line, order of the bluenose, winging, enlistment, commissioning, first salute, change of command, CPO initiations, etc.) Some are fun, some boring as hell, most are officially sanctioned, a few are merely officially tolerated. Most mark some kind of a milestone and follow long standing traditions. Ever been on a military base when they lower the flag? That's a ceremony done every day and the whole base takes part. Love 'em or hate 'em they're a bit of the glue that gives us a common bond.

Last Edited:
Incidentally, I am reminded, by Mrs tac, that the ceremony of the changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle is often seen by many Americans [and other nationalities] as a highlight of their visit to England.

There is no ceremony like that of the Old Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior because here the marker over the grave is inside Westminster Abbey. Anybody can walk to it and pay their respects.

Including your President.

Donald Trump lays wreath at tomb of The Unknown Warrior

1573727965825.png

While I do not really care for ceremony...if what the ceremony is about is important or meaningful , then I will go and do what is required , with my attention and respect.

What may not be my cup of tea so to speak...may well mean far more to someone else
After all the world wasn't just made for me and likes and dislikes.
Andy

At my son's graduation the 'fan favorite' teacher they invited to speak gave two pieces of important advice: "Don't ask, always take the last piece of pizza, and don't accidentally use Preparation H for toothpaste, it's a mistake you'll never recover from."
Based on his willingness to use the platform in such a way I come to the conclusion that advice was probably as useful in real life as the drivel of which he most likely infested his classroom.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads