JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There was another thread in the General Guns questions and I asked a question on there and am more confused then before.
When an AR Pistol is not a Pistol - ATF responds
These weapons have a VFG on them and are considered legal. ATF says as long as it is 26" long it is legal ????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9VLQ...eature=related
PRODUCTS
<broken link removed> (Page 2)
Thoughts ?????
Last edited by pinkhamr; 09-28-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Typo

So do you feel you know the Law?
1) Over and Under OAL 26 inches....
2) Barrel shorter than 16 inches - end of threads to front of upper receiver....
3) OAL > 26 inches and Barrel under 16 inches - With pistol buffer tube
4) OAL < 26 inches and Barrel under 16 inches - With pistol buffer tube
5) Butt Stock or Pistol Buffer Tube Only....
6) Vertical forward Grip - Mag Pull AFG2 is legal on Pistol package

I know some of the responses will be the known obvious that seem to be commonly known to members on this forum, but if you start to look at specifics, Im confused now, especially after reading through the other Thread where others tried to understand and reason the legality of certain guns.

Specifically, Im wondering about AR pistol setup compared to a SBR. Here are a few key issues. What Are They? Pistol, Rifle, Or SBR?

1) Building a AR that has a OAL over 26 inches and has a Barrel less than 16 inches with a pistol buffer tube. Example - OAL is over 26 inches and has a 10.5 inch barrel.

2) Building a AR that has a OAL under 26 inches and has a Barrel less than 16 inches with a pistol buffer tube. Example - OAL is under 26 inches and has a 7 inch barrel.

It doesn't seem so clear when you look at the two options does it?

From what I've read on here,the barrel length has to do with the rifle and sbr.
Pistol barrel length doesn't matter.
The pistol can only have the buffer and a pad (one of those wrap around kind) and no vertical hand grip.No butt stock
Can't have a stock,just the tube.Supposed to handle it with one hand? Which is silly cause most shoot a pistol with two anyway right?

But we'll have the experts on here soon.

those are the general understandings that I have believed also, but the specifics are much more complicated then that, and In the two examples I listed, I hope a few members that know the laws will comment on here. Looking forward to some more info.

Barrel length is measures from the tip of the barrel or pinned or welded flash hider to the bolt face. Therefore barrel length must be measured on the inside of the barrel with a rod. Not from end of barrel to the top receiver as mentioned on the OP.

ok, I do agree with the technical term in measuring barrel length, but mjb...., what is your proof of your answer, hours and years on this site, hear say, or technical actual proof from written law. I would love to see, in text that explanation of the two examples in which you looked at and answered too.

If I were you,I would check M4 and AR 15 forums for some real straight info on this.
Which is where I have gotten most of my info.
It's been a while since I looked it up and would take some time for links

But most is from others that have built pistols and explained the differences.

Difference between AR pistol and AR SBR? - AR15.Com Archive

<broken link removed>

And I forgot,someone had posted this a while back

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show