JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you keep scope boxes?

• Yes, I keep them, because ...

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • Nope, I toss them.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I don't know. I don't buy scopes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (gasp!) Scopes are scary and bad and go on ghost guns with a shoulder thing that goes up!

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters
Thread kind of says it. Do you hang on to scope boxes or toss them after mounting on the firearm of choice? (It is extremely rare that I buy optics, as I normally stick with irons, but did recently add a Leupold scope to a project I have been working on since the early part of the year. I abhor clutter, so will likely toss the box, but figured I inquire.)

I keep them just in case I need to send the optic back (which has happened only once), or if I were to replace an optic I have the appropriate box for storage or sell (hmmmmmm, never happened either). ;)

I keep them so I can store them if/when I take them off their current homes. Having a box to ship for warranty/repair is a good idea, too but not my main reason. That and I'm a small-time hoarder of gun "stuff"

there's no clutter involved, you can store small parts in far more organized fashion, in the scope box even if you never retrieve it for original scope duty. Storing an empty box seems odd to me.

Some of the boxes are pretty cool, and one of the Night Force boxes I have is funky super cool, so I keep them around! Besides, like every one else has posted, If I ever needed to send one in for repairs, I got the factory box and usually all the factory papers and such that came with it!

Probably safe to throw away the Leupold box.
But I would be sure to keep any Vortex boxes.
I have sent back one Leupold in 43 years of owning them.
I have sent back three Vortex in 6 years of owning them.
my .02

After I discovered Ebay long ago I started keeping the packaging for a lot of things. Reason being I found that if I got tired of something and wanted to trade it in so to speak, it was worth more that way. I often found someone would pay me as much as I paid for something I had used for years. Optics is one of the things I have sold quite a few of this way.

If its an expensive or quality scope like Leupold, save the box, and any literature and original accessories that comes in the box. Especially the original owners manual. Worth so much more at resale.

If its a cheaper scope with no real resale value then dont worry about the box.

Last Edited:
I keep 'em. I've only purchased one used scope, without box, but later replaced it with one I bought new. I put the old one in the box for safe keeping. Leupold has the correct size box to store a scope with rings attached and the styrofoam inserts to keep it secure. Right now I've a couple of empty Leupold boxes, but ya never know what I might do.
If I decide I'd like to sell a scope, there's nothing better to ship one in than a scope box.

Can help resale value on more expensive equipment and simplifies packaging for shipping. I have scope, rifle, reels, camera, ham radio and stereo equipment boxes all for the same reason. A ham radio box was worth $100 over what I would have got without the box. Store smaller boxes inside larger boxes.

I keep them as long as i have the scope.
I also ship a scope back in another companies box the few times i have had to. It reminds the company that there are other companies out there and if they dont get thier act together i will buy elsewhere. Never had a problem doing this so far.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top