JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The title of the article is "Should you know if your neighbor owns a gun?" but I think that is misleading.

Would they make the same assertion if it was "Should you know if your neighbor owns a dildo?" of "Should you know if your neighbor is gay?".

How about if your neighbor is part of criminal illegal activity like drug dealing, prostitution, car theft, gang members. You know, the things that actually lead to innocent people getting shot.

Implying people who have been vetted by the state will commit crimes based on nothing just points out, you don't believe in background checks. So why are we doing them?

Do I have the right to know if the neighbor owns guns..?....No.

Should I know if the neighbor owns guns.... ? Maybe...depends on how I find out.

I have had this happen....I am loading the truck up for a rendezvous and the neighbor is out and we start a conversation...during the conversation , he mentions that he owns guns...sure that is okay.

Should I find my name or my neighbors name in the paper or on social media*...'cause of being issued a permit or license of some sort...Nope , not okay at all.

Legally owning firearms is not a crime or newsworthy...no need to publish a list of those that do.
The is no crime in exercising a Right...no need to make it seem so , or push the idea that someone who does may be a danger.
Andy

* Unwillingly....I post on here at NWFA fairly often...postings with pictures and stories of me and my firearms...That , however is by my choice.

The title of the article is "Should you know if your neighbor owns a gun?" but I think that is misleading.

Would they make the same assertion if it was "Should you know if your neighbor owns a dildo?" of "Should you know if your neighbor is gay?".
Not logging into that rag, sorry

Well my neighbor flys a Marine Corps flag like me. So…. I am going to assume our block is pretty squared away.

Okay... so these guys want to publish the names and addresses of permit-holder in order to hold public officials accountable? Is that what they're angling at?

"...questions about transparency around gun permitting records. That lack of public information about gun permit-holders makes it harder to judge how well the police chiefs who issue those permits are using their authority, and to hold them accountable when they make the wrong call. The shooter, who was gunned down by police, had a license to carry. Yet little is known about who the licensing authority was in this case and how that decision was made."

And they're making the case by highlighting a double shooting by a permit holder?

I'm unable to put those two things together.

Are they saying that if the records had been made public, they'd have been on the case by investigating the backgrounds of each and every permit holder, thereby preventing future incidents?

They said that there was little known about the "licensing authority". Isn't that information written into the law that requires a "licensing authority"? How would having access to private citizens' personal information tell anyone anything about the licensing authority?

The writer sounds like a government beuracrat:
"Hey... you know how we steal your money?"
"Yes, I'm familiar".
"We want more".
"But you have a surplus of my money already, and what you do spend you spend foolishly and waste. You don't know WTF you're DOING!".
"Yes. We want more... we're also going to make some redundant laws to pile on top of other laws that also won't do anything or be enforced. You're Welcome".

Just opinion but there is no privacy at all now days, they know what everyone has but haven't told the world yet. When they tell the world its to use it against you in public opinion.

Opinion created by media. :s0093:

They were trying to do similar several years ago around here and the sheriff's (most anyway) said FU.

There is a thread about this somewhere......

also...... http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...ing-names-addresses-chl-holders-new-york.html

Just opinion but there is no privacy at all now days, they know what everyone has but haven't told the world yet. When they tell the world its to use it against you in public opinion.

Opinion created by media. :s0093:
I assume the gov theoretically knows about at least 75% of my firearms as the paperwork on them exists somewhere, and probably data records in some computer system somewhere.

I would be more concerned about that data being released to the public as some criminal(s) would then consider my residence as a high value target for break-in and theft.

As others have said, all my neighbors know I own guns and I know they own them too - there is no question about that.

Nobody has a "right" to know what I possess, and I'm inclined to include any government entity also but that's a hot topic for a different thread.

*The rest of my comment has been redacted :mad:;)

If they own an assault dildo maybe, because those things are meant for only one thing.

Do I have the right to know if my neighbor DOESN'T own a gun?

Maybe we should simply be required to make an annual inventory of all our possessions and hand it out to anyone interested .... or, better yet, post it on our homes, like a menu outside the entrance to a restaurant.

Next?.... declare all locks racist, and robbery as reparations

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top