JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you have a gun in your House? **This is from a women while in a hospital.....When I had my gangrene gallbladder taken out and spent 10 days in the hospital for what should have been an overnight stay the insurance company kicked me out. I had home nurse visits
for two weeks and was asked if I had guns in the house. I respond that if I
did I would not tell them. So the below has some merit. FYI, I am passing
this along...there are comments from two other people that have also been
asked if they keep guns in the house. The nurse just kind of slipped it in
along with all the other regular questions. I told her I refused to answer
because it was against the law to ask.*

*Everyone, whether you have guns or not, should give a neutral answer so
they have no idea who does and who doesn't. My doctor asked me if I had
guns in my house and also if any were loaded. I, of course, answered yes to
both questions. Then he asked why I kept a loaded gun close to my bed. I
answered that my son, who is a certified gun instructor and also works for
Homeland Security, advised me that an unloaded, locked up gun is no
protection against criminal attack. The Government now requires these
questions be asked of people on Medicare, and probably everyone else. Just
passing this along for your information: I had to visit a doctor other than
my regular doctor when my doctor was on vacation. One of the questions on
the form I had to fill out was: Do you have any guns in your house? My
answer was None of your business!! So it is out there! It is either an
insurance issue or government intervention.*

*Either way, it is out there and the second the government gets into your
medical records (as they want to under Obamacare) it will become a major
issue and will ultimately result in lock and load!!*

*Please pass this on to all the other retired guys and gun owners...Thanks,
from a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer: I had a doctors appointment
at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting
that I would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing
the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions: **1. Did I
feel stressed? 2. Did I feel threatened? 3. Did I feel like doing harm to
someone? **The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of
the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have
gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland
Security. Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people
like retired law enforcement will probably be next. Then when they go after
the civilians, what argument will they have? Be forewarned and be aware.
The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun
owners potential terrorists. Whether you are a gun owner, veteran or not,
YOU"VE BEEN WARNED ! If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom!!*

Please don't use overly formatted fonting. It's difficult to read.

But to get on-topic: Yes, I don't fill out irrelevant questions on doctor forms. No SSN, no guns y/n questions. My doctor knows I carry, because he's seen it a few times and he's comfortable with it.

Do you have a gun in your House? **This is from a women while in a hospital.....When I had my gangrene gallbladder taken out and spent 10 days in the hospital for what should have been an overnight stay the insurance company kicked me out. I had home nurse visits
for two weeks and was asked if I had guns in the house. I respond that if I
did I would not tell them. So the below has some merit. FYI, I am passing
this along...there are comments from two other people that have also been
asked if they keep guns in the house. The nurse just kind of slipped it in
along with all the other regular questions. I told her I refused to answer
because it was against the law to ask.*

*Everyone, whether you have guns or not, should give a neutral answer so
they have no idea who does and who doesn't. My doctor asked me if I had
guns in my house and also if any were loaded. I, of course, answered yes to
both questions. Then he asked why I kept a loaded gun close to my bed. I
answered that my son, who is a certified gun instructor and also works for
Homeland Security, advised me that an unloaded, locked up gun is no
protection against criminal attack. The Government now requires these
questions be asked of people on Medicare, and probably everyone else. Just
passing this along for your information: I had to visit a doctor other than
my regular doctor when my doctor was on vacation. One of the questions on
the form I had to fill out was: Do you have any guns in your house? My
answer was None of your business!! So it is out there! It is either an
insurance issue or government intervention.*

*Either way, it is out there and the second the government gets into your
medical records (as they want to under Obamacare) it will become a major
issue and will ultimately result in lock and load!!*

*Please pass this on to all the other retired guys and gun owners...Thanks,
from a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer: I had a doctors appointment
at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting
that I would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing
the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions: **1. Did I
feel stressed? 2. Did I feel threatened? 3. Did I feel like doing harm to
someone? **The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of
the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have
gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland
Security. Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people
like retired law enforcement will probably be next. Then when they go after
the civilians, what argument will they have? Be forewarned and be aware.
The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun
owners potential terrorists. Whether you are a gun owner, veteran or not,
YOU"VE BEEN WARNED ! If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom!!*

There. Now people can read what you have to say, including myself.

When we had Kaiser Insurance, they asked all kinds of questions they had no business asking. The kid's sexual preferences, guns in the house, really private, personal, not related to what we were being seen for, and generally inadequate questions directed toward why we were there. We determined early on to never let them alone with our kids. Government is taking over medicine, and you are not as yet, perjuring yourself to tell them what they want to hear to avoid being profiled or preached at.

Interesting I go to the doctor at least 4 times a year and no one has ever asked me anything like these questions. Maybe its because I discuss various reloading things with my doctor or maybe its because I have run into my nurse and her husband at a gun show (the gal that does my taxes as well). I just don't know. But my experience has been very different.

Last time we went to providence and my fiancee had a sore throat they asked if we had a gun in our house. I asked what does that have to do with a sore throat, they did not response so we said no.
She was a new patience so that might be why they asked. This was about 6 months ago.

N/A raises more questions. I just leave it open. If that makes them ask me to answer I say "Oh, didn't think it was relevant" and then if they still push on, I just say "No, I won't answer that". Usually they don't care anyway.

You bet I do!
A Senco nail gun, a Porter Cable nail gun and best of all, a Swedish made Kihlberg Pneumatic stick stapler that goes full auto when you least expect it to.

This is why I just stay away from hospitals until theres bleeding that can't be stopped. I have awesome health insurance but something tells me they'll just give me injections that keep me sick. But then again maybe i'm just being paranoid... watch Jacobs ladder and you'll never want to visit a hospital again.

Hmm... So I looked up the official DoD definition of a 'gun' and saw the following:

"A cannon with relatively long barrel, operating with relatively low angle of fire, and having a high muzzle velocity. 2. A cannon with tube length 30 calibers or more. See also howitzer; mortar."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Cannon_Fire.jpg

So I think the correct, truthful answer (unless you collect tanks and have your own personal history museum) would be "NO".

Now if they asked if you had any pistols or rifles, that would be another matter.

N/A raises more questions. I just leave it open. If that makes them ask me to answer I say "Oh, didn't think it was relevant" and then if they still push on, I just say "No, I won't answer that". Usually they don't care anyway.

"No, I don't have "a" gun in the house" applies when it is a plurality of firearms, amirite?:winkkiss:

Just curious why are they asking at all?

This has not happened to me ever.

Just took my daughter to her first pediatrician appointment last week and the question was on the new patient paperwork. I was surprised when the nurse doing the intake asked about firearms in the house - I asked if the doctor was giving shooting lessons - she laughed and said that since the Affordable Care Act passed this has become standard questioning that they have to report on to get paid.

Rob

As much as I hate the question, I think everyone should answer "no" to the question.

I don't really know why, but I think it would be better to not be on the "this dude is a gun nut" list.

Then again, arguing my own opinion, maybe it would be better to answer "yes" and make guns seem more main-stream and normal.

In short. ITS A TRAP!!
Someone post the pic of General Akbar!

Just took my daughter to her first pediatrician appointment last week and the question was on the new patient paperwork. I was surprised when the nurse doing the intake asked about firearms in the house - I asked if the doctor was giving shooting lessons - she laughed and said that since the Affordable Care Act passed this has become standard questioning that they have to report on to get paid.

Rob
Our stockbroker is an NRA instructor. My Dr. (actually a PA) likes my NRA vest so I'm guessing it's not a problem for him.
I've never been asked and since there's no crime in saying "NO" that's what I'll do if it ever comes up. I'll also instruct my wife and grandson to do the same. Besides, if they ask "gun" it's not a lie since I have more than one. In fact I carry more than one at a time.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

BTW guys......this is not something new... This started showing up at least 15 years ago in various health provider systems. IIRC at that time, it started at the Center for Disease Control and the National Institute of Health as a means of gathering data to be used for a full court press to declare private gun ownership as a public health threat.

Incrementalism without any means of enforcement then, but now and in the long term future ?

As for what I am willing to tell any provider now with "Big Brother Care", "it hurts here". Anything else is "need to know" to my satisfaction only, it all goes into the Doctor's report and then into some data base and then ........... Forget about privacy laws, it's in the Nancy Pelosi fine print.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top