JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just go to Amazon, or whatever your favorite place to buy, and type in Dash Cam. You will find them in all price ranges with all kinds of reviews. Many will even have samples of the actual video so you can see how it looks.

This is true. But i remember members were also posting goods/bads/ugly's of their "real life" experiences with them.

Time to get some Google-Fu mojo flowing..... :s0033:

Costco had them on sale a while back. Still might have it on the website.
At least you could return it if you don't like it?

I've been wanting one as much as I drive. Would be nice for hit and runs, but I would want one with a front and rear view

What's a good Brand & Model to start with?
Have had a couple that I ended up dumping as they became complicated. I have had an OWLcam for a year. Has a support that sticks down by the window at the dashboard level and sticks to that via a magnet. I tucked the wire down along the window and down to the diagnostic plug-in( the unit comes with a cripple that sticks into the plug-in but only uses the power out of it. Easy to install for sure. These are not cheap or on Amazon. The picture is clear and can be forward or backwards into the seats, NOT a rear camera. With an app on your phone you can call up video anytime.

I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OTZWJE2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's good up to 150 Deg F. It's clear and you can turn on/off the sound as needed.

Been going on 2 years straight no problem. It loops at the end of the space and has an internal gyroscope, which the sensitivity can be adjusted for, which locks the file (by changing the extension) and prevents that file from being lost. It also records parking hits too. I always park nose out so if someone hits me, it starts the recording and can get the license plate number. The time durations are for how long it will record before it shuts off. So if you are at the 4:30 minute mark for a 5 minute long session, it will record for 30 more seconds when the system is off and then shutoff. I leave mine in 2 minute increments and it transitions smoothly.

I have dashcams in every vehicle and have recorded some interesting stuff that didnt involve me. I use an older version of this HP and still going after 3+ years: HP F230 2.0" LCD Car DVR FHD 1080P 120° View Angle Dash Cam w/ G-sensor TF Card - Black - Newegg.com

You can get dashcams as cheap as $10 sometimes w/free shipping and they do work...not the greatest, but better than nothing....kind of like conceal carry: dashcam - Newegg.com

Here's a tip: spend a couple extra bucks and get the high endurance SD cards because they write/rewrite over and over and the cheap cards will crap out over time.

Something to remember. Be involved in an accident and your dash cam can be downloaded and used as evidence by both sides and also by the police. If it tracks your speed or wild antics inside the car prior to the accident........you may be watching it in court. Same issue if yours has GPS in it. Just sayin'

I bought this Garmin model in February and I'm pretty happy with it. It has Amazon Alexa built in, so I can play Prime music from my cell phone anywhere I can get a signal. It also has built in maps so you can use it to navigate to a destination and I'm not forced to use Google Maps to get there. It has a setup where the camera will sense if you're running off the road, or if traffic ahead is moving and you're not, and beep at you.

A big reason for my purchase is these Russian dashcam videos. There's a lot of insurance fraud there, so there are lots of dashcams also. This guy puts in the translation of what the people in the car are saying, and in many cases he tells what happened to the occupants.

I bought one a few weeks ago and it makes me so happy, almost as happy as my edc. I had a couple of weird things happen on my commute and I decided I wanted proof (license plate #, car description) because everything happens fast in that moment. I googled affordable dash cams and found a recent article about the top 10. I don't Amazon, but the article helped me know what to look for in features. Found a basic model for under 100 bucks at best buy. Now that it's in the window, Murphy has kicked in and no more weirdness... .for now......

I bought a dash cam after reading prior threads about them here at NWF. After lots of reading, comparing, and viewing youtube videos, I chose the Street Guardian model SG9665GC. It was near $200, but that price range gets you a metal body, glass lens, and good capabilities. The cheaper, all-plastic models seem to aspire to what the Street Guardian can do (and even imitate its shape), but can get seriously messed up by heat up there on the dash/in the window.

That dash cam was easy to operate and never failed. It has collected a few short recordings of really stupid stuff by other drivers, but fortunately never had to capture any serious incident directly involving our own vehicle. I am confident it would have worked as advertised.

We recently traded for a new car. It was easy to remove the Street Guardian, but the re-installation has yet to happen. Fact is, I'd like to put that old SG9665GC in my pickup truck and order Street Guardian's successor model for the new car.

I have two Viofo A119s and they have worked well. Haven't had the need, but if you get into an accident and think it could be your fault, I highly recommend pulling the SD card before LE shows up...
Good choice on dashcam, I have one of those in our Equinox...tucks up nicely in line with the inside mirror. We have an HP unit in our Tahoe that isnt as sleek looking as the A119, but works very well day/night and easy to set up. In my streetrod and pickup (hunting) truck, I have a couple no-name Wal-mart specials (look like the old G1W's) that I found for $9 and they work...not the best, but good enough to capture the basics day/night.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top