JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to the range yesterday to site in my new crimson trace laser linq on my AR but I noticed a husband and wife there renting guns I saw them rent like 4 different hand guns all little one's like 380 and small 9mm so I asked them why they where renting so many he said my wife wants a gun so we are trying out different ones he knew a little bit bout guns but not alot so I tried to explain the heavy gun less recoil thing to them I think they got it I also asked are you going to carry it or is it just for the home and said if it's just for the home get a medium or full size hand gun 9mm or up the one you can shoot the best I don't like to tell people what to buy because everybody is different I guess my QUESTION is do you ever come across people that you just have to stop what you're doing and bud in and give advice to because she was really having a hard time shooting the small guns but did better when they got a bigger gun I hope I helped them but I don't like to do that unless they ask but yesterday I decided to be that guy

I wish I had my old p89 9mm with me I would have let her shoot it because it is heavy and could get a better idea of what I was saying but I only had AR and 40 cal glock 22 with me next time I will take more guns so I can try to help more people LOL

I know what your are saying. I have been at gun shops and gun shows where
the salesperson (gun expert) is feeding them a line of crap. I don't want to be the
jerk and but in.:eek::eek: I always try and take a easy to shoot full size 22 pistol/rifle for
newbies to try. Start with basic safety, sight picture and trigger control.
I want to make it fun for newbies. I love the 'Hey this is great' realization.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Every person we introduce to shooting is another vote changed from indifferent
or anti to pro gun.:)

It's tough because some guys in that husband's situation might take offense and try to be macho idiots.

I usually hang back, listen, and get a good idea for who the people are first.
Are they someone who I want to help?
Are they people who will listen and welcome unsolicited advice?
Do they argue or try to understand?
Do they have any business handling something that may kill someone?

I try to access the people and then if I feel like I can help and they would appreciate my advice then yeah of course help a brutha and sista out:

It's tough because some guys in that husband's situation might take offense and try to be macho idiots.

I usually hang back, listen, and get a good idea for who the people are first.
Are they someone who I want to help?
Are they people who will listen and welcome unsolicited advice?
Do they argue or try to understand?
Do they have any business handling something that may kill someone?

I try to access the people and then if I feel like I can help and they would appreciate my advice then yeah of course help a brutha and sista out:
Yes I didn't jump right in I started asking questions at about rental gun #3

And the range officer was not much help but I'm sure he doesn't want to get too much involved he basically showed them how to use the target system and walked away he was new I had never seen him there before they do have a good range officer there that helps out alot there are two that really help but they were not there I have been there before when I saw people that had a gun jam or a double feed and didn't know what to do like I said I don't like to bud in but sometimes I think we as in us who do know something about guns have to help out if we can to make someone 's first shooting experience a good one

EPS,
Your head and heart are in the right places, don't change a thing.
It's tough call lol they usually have rental guns with rental ear muffs that are not electronic so it hard to talk to them lol so it comes down to should I say something or just mind my own business and take the chance of getting shot in the a$$ lol by the way this is a indoor range

It's tough call lol they usually have rental guns with rental ear muffs that are not electronic so it hard to talk to them lol so it comes down to should I say something or just mind my own business and take the chance of getting shot in the a$$ lol by the way this is a indoor range

Nice thing is, being newbies ..... they probably aren't good enough shots to hit you anyhow. :D

Anyhow, I figure how one offers the help in the first place is a factor. Looks like your assessing the situation by observing what's going on. Then it seems you're doing it in a polite and sincere manner. I don't see that as any different than helping someone at the hardware store or gas station. Good on ya, you represent responsible gun owners very well.

Nice thing is, being newbies ..... they probably aren't good enough shots to hit you anyhow. :D

Anyhow, I figure how one offers the help in the first place is a factor. Looks like your assessing the situation by observing what's going on. Then it seems you're doing it in a polite and sincere manner. I don't see that as any different than helping someone at the hardware store or gas station. Good on ya, you represent responsible gun owners very well.
I try but as for them not being good enough to hit me lol I'm more worried about them trying to fix a jam or something and shooting me we have all seen the guy or girl swing the gun around and point it at everyone behind them saying IT DON'T WORK LOL till it does

And as for the macho boyfriend or husband being upset that could be a problem but if he doesn't know s#!+ I would just say take my advice and go take a gun class politely of course and not so blunt lol

I went to the range yesterday to site in my new crimson trace laser linq on my AR but I noticed a husband and wife there renting guns I saw them rent like 4 different hand guns all little one's like 380 and small 9mm so I asked them why they where renting so many he said my wife wants a gun so we are trying out different ones he knew a little bit bout guns but not alot so I tried to explain the heavy gun less recoil thing to them I think they got it I also asked are you going to carry it or is it just for the home and said if it's just for the home get a medium or full size hand gun 9mm or up the one you can shoot the best I don't like to tell people what to buy because everybody is different I guess my QUESTION is do you ever come across people that you just have to stop what you're doing and bud in and give advice to because she was really having a hard time shooting the small guns but did better when they got a bigger gun I hope I helped them but I don't like to do that unless they ask but yesterday I decided to be that guy

I have the privilege of being a member of a private club and while I know a ton about shooting, I would say almost all of the people I've met know as much and often more.

Good on ya for giving them help - last thing we need is any bad press about guns;)

I run into new people with "troubles" at the BP range every now and then. Usually wait until it's pretty obvious they're stuck and then offer some help/suggestions in as friendly and non-judgmental a manner as I can muster. Most refuse the offer and go home with a load still stuck in the bore. Pretty sure they want to look up the answer on the internet. No sense listening to the guy that's been doing it for 40+ years. Even the ones that come over to me and ASK for advice often don't take it and end up going home with the aforementioned load still stuck in the bore. Go figure.

Note: The look of panic on a new BP shooters face when you suggest introducing WATER into the bore to loosen a stuck cleaning patch is priceless.

I think I made the right choice but it's a tough call like I said I just wanted feed back from other shooters to see if you all have had similar experiences some have some haven't I think from now on I will step up and intervene more if I think I can help

I have the privilege of being a member of a private club and while I know a ton about shooting, I would say almost all of the people I've met know as much and often more.

Good on ya for giving them help - last thing we need is any bad press about guns;)

While I don't have the luxury of being a member of a private club, and know a ton about shooting, I often run into "new" shooters in the woods. It sucks. It's sketchy. I always try to educate. I always access the peeps first before I approach and ALWAYS ask if its cool if I show their chicks something. I'll show the dudes the exact same thing I do with their women and make it a point to get kinda personal with both. If I don't feel comfortable touching the dude, I ain't gonna touch the chick....

A few months back we were camping with some friends. I know the dude, I've known him for roughly 10 years, but have never met his wife until then. She's not a woodsy person....Anyway, they were shooting the next morning and me and my buddy were watching them. He suggested I step in before something weird happens. (He's known the dude for like 20+ years) I did and apparently he took offense to that. I didn't know it at the time but found out later. I worked with his wife for a couple hours on trigger control, muzzle awareness, finger etc.....I got personal with her. When we finished, I did the exact same thing with him. I got personal with him......Once he realized I wasn't trying to get some bang bang chicken from his wife everything was fine. Now we have 2 more slightly educated gun owners roaming around in the woods. MORE educated than most dipbubblegumz.....I'll tell ya, it was TERRIBLE watching them. I have no idea what he had showed her in the past but it was wrong. I helped them make it right.

As a side note, no offense to anyone here, (because everyone here is awesome!!!) the shoot we had at the cleanup was 1 of the funnest and most stressful times I've ever had. My head was on a swivel. It's not that I don't trust you guys, it's just that I don't trust you guys....know what I'm sayn???? Hopefully so....;)

As a side note, no offense to anyone here, (because everyone here is awesome!!!) the shoot we had at the cleanup was 1 of the funnest and most stressful times I've ever had. My head was on a swivel. It's not that I don't trust you guys, it's just that I don't trust you guys....know what I'm sayn???? Hopefully so....;)

Hey, I hear that. The clean and shoots are fun but I've called a few people out at them over the years for being a danger to everyone - sometimes you just gotta be that guy:rolleyes:

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I often am leery to help too unless someone shows interest in help. If someone does it's great when a more experienced shooter will take the time with someone!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top