JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like many have already said ... I may help after accessing the scene.

A few things I have learned or do while helping:

Be prepared to have your help ignored or refused.

Always offer and give your help in a non-confrontational manner.

Be aware that at times when helping , you might get a audience around you and some extra conflicting advice and "help" from "experts" in the crowd.

Focus at one problem at a time.

Know your own level of help or expertise.
Andy

If it's appropriate, I will try to get anyone I can to heed the advice of NOT BUYING A MOUSE GUN FOR YOUR FIRST GUN! That's the mistake Wifey and I made for her first gun. As @EPS said in the OP. If those folks listened he may very well have saved them frustration and $$$.

For those who don't know I manage a custom door shop in Vancouver. Well when people get broke into we are usually there first stop. This last Thursday this lady comes in shaking and could barely complete a sentence. come to find out she is single and lives alone in the Vancouver area. Wednesday night her house was broke into while she was home and sleeping.

She wanted a gun and something to protect herself. I took the time to calm her down and help her with her door situation and asked her if she has ever shot a gun. Her response was no. :eek:

At that point I told her she needs to take a class and learn from an instructor who knows what he is doing about gun safety and handling before purchasing said fire arm. I mentioned safefire in Camas and gave her the number to a NRA certified pistol instructor who works up at Clark rifle club.

I felt really bad for her. Not sure I have ever seen a person so scared and shaken from a break in.

Having your home broken into is a very scary thing.... Your home is supposed to be your ultimate "safe space."
Good doors , locks and windows are a excellent starting point in home protection.
Learning how to protect yourself with and without firearms is a logical next step.
Too bad that step is downplayed at best and villainized at worst...
Andy

Sad thing is she didn't even know they were in her house till she woke up the next morning. Man things could have gone wrong real quick. I didn't bring that up to her, in that moment I figured she was shaking enough.

When I'm at the range, I'm usually there to shoot, not talk - I just don't have a lot of time to get out and shoot, so I want to focus on shooting. I've been approached by folks many times while at the range - usually just to ask about what I'm shooting, and that's fine so long as they don't want to carry on a long conversation.

If I came across a situation like the OP's, I might step in, if I had the time and if I thought they seemed open to hearing from someone else. I might even let them try one of my guns if it would help. Up until now though, that situation hasn't presented itself. What I have done is offer to take folks to the range to introduce them to shooting or let them try some guns.

When I'm at the range, I'm usually there to shoot, not talk - I just don't have a lot of time to get out and shoot, so I want to focus on shooting. I've been approached by folks many times while at the range - usually just to ask about what I'm shooting, and that's fine so long as they don't want to carry on a long conversation.

If I came across a situation like the OP's, I might step in, if I had the time and if I thought they seemed open to hearing from someone else. I might even let them try one of my guns if it would help. Up until now though, that situation hasn't presented itself. What I have done is offer to take folks to the range to introduce them to shooting or let them try some guns.
I only go to the range when I have time I hate it when my brother inlaw wants to go but when we get there he's always in a hurry shoots a few mags and has to leave after that happened he drives his own car because I want to stay a take the time to do what I want and I usually have multiple guns

When shooting ... you can get into a "groove" or "rhythm" and if disturbed the effects can be annoying or even dangerous.

Case in point ... When shooting a muzzle loading rifle it is important to load powder , patch then ball in that order.
When distracted in this order , you can "dry ball" and load with no powder.
While not dangerous .... It is annoying and can be a time consuming fix.

If you must talk or engage others while shooting , be sure not interrupt a shooters "groove".
Andy

When shooting ... you can get into a "groove" or "rhythm" and if disturbed the effects can be annoying or even dangerous.

Case in point ... When shooting a muzzle loading rifle it is important to load powder , patch then ball in that order.

If you must talk or engage others while shooting , be sure not interrupt a shooters "groove".
Andy

"Dry Ball" - don't they make a medication for that??

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

I've always appreciated pointers and insight from other shooters, especially ones where they identify unsafe actions on my part.
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.
Good for you to offer advice and assistance - IMO noobs don't know what they really want until they experience it. I usually let people shoot my guns if they exhibit common sense and are willing to try.

I don't like to jump in when guys and wives are on a boat ramp, much less at the range with strangers holding firearms. However, if they didn't seem like idiots or jerks I might strike up a conversation and then ask if I can offer some help because I noticed they were struggling.

I shoot IDPA with new shooters and the gals are usually very sensitive about guys that want to "correct" their shooting habits. They will usually give permission because most everybody is there to learn and improve, but best advice... keep it very short, don't try to fix everything. For instance, limp wristing fix gives big improvement. If they are with a husband or boyfriend it can get tricky because he probably taught the gal.

For those who don't know I manage a custom door shop in Vancouver. Well when people get broke into we are usually there first stop. This last Thursday this lady comes in shaking and could barely complete a sentence. come to find out she is single and lives alone in the Vancouver area. Wednesday night her house was broke into while she was home and sleeping.

She wanted a gun and something to protect herself. I took the time to calm her down and help her with her door situation and asked her if she has ever shot a gun. Her response was no. :eek:

At that point I told her she needs to take a class and learn from an instructor who knows what he is doing about gun safety and handling before purchasing said fire arm. I mentioned safefire in Camas and gave her the number to a NRA certified pistol instructor who works up at Clark rifle club.

I felt really bad for her. Not sure I have ever seen a person so scared and shaken from a break in.

GREAT post :s0101:
As for the woman while it's sad this had to happen to "wake her up" it could certainly have been worse. She's lucky she asked you. She could easily have gotten some VERY bad advice in that situation. Like go buy a 12G shotgun. The one great thing liberals have done is create so many new victims like this. The decades of making excuses for scum are waking up more and more people who never thought they needed a gun at home. I hope she does take a class, then gets a gun. It's an amazing feeling of security to someone like this when they know how to use a weapon they have.

Great job, there!

I almost always go to my local range with my wife. She likes her beautiful S&W 686 Plus with seven rounds of 357M on tap, and I like to bring the 44M for a little bit of fun. I bring different loads for the 44M. Light loads for her, heavy loads for me. The last time we were at the range something similar happened; a young couple was struggling with their new little 380. I politely introduced myself and offered some tips on grip, which they were really glad to receive. Once the rapport was established, I asked the young lady if she wanted to shoot something easier on her hands. She looked at me scared when I took out the 357 and walked her through it. I had both of them shoot it, primarily to understand the difference in recoil based on the weight of the gun. Once they were comfortable, out came the 44M with light loads, and they were delighted to be having so much fun. And learning, but I didn't press that part hard. I love those sorts of moments, but interrupting people as they're shooting is a touchy situation, as sometimes the man doesn't take kindly to his role being accosted. Having my wife behind me observing always puts the women at ease.

I think making a small comment or suggestion can't hurt. You can gauge how receptive they are and take it from there.

Personally, I liked when knowledgeable shooters would give me tips when I started shooting. If it's good info I still appreciate it.

If your genuinely trying to help, even if they are offended something you say may save them or someone else someday.

Anyone who thinks they are too good for honest advice given in attempts to help them should stay away from firearms.

It's easy to say I know that already but thank you for offering to help.

Give advice if it is unsolicited? No, I don't. And these days I do nearly all of my shooting on our own private acreage, so I don't shoot with many people who aren't a relative by blood or marriage.

If specifically asked by someone about a particular shooting topic, I would, and have done so on a number of occasions.

Andy
I give the same advice to people who want to start reloading ammunition. ;)

Your advice is free, they can take it or leave. Some may be offended, others appreciative, but it's free. You didn't charge for it, you offered it. Whether it's good or not, that's the hard part. We get eavsdroppers in our store who often want to jump in on sale, and often, with very bad information. Some, we'll listen too, others we'll politely ask them to withdraw from the conversation...they seem to get more bent out of shape, but when they are giving an opinion (there is no reason to own a 22 pistol, it can't kill anyone) and not a fact, it's less than helpful. (the 65 year old lady wasn't looking to kill anyone, she simply wanted to learn to shoot with an inexpensive round). Offer your advice if you're confident, can't hurt the situation with a new shooter. Just be careful with opinions.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top