JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
This is a new concept to me. I've been a gun owner for many years and enjoyed speaking with lots of different types of gun owners, but I will say the concept that we as legal gun owners are considering ourselves as minorities on par with race, religion, gender, etc. is foreign to me and a bit confusing. Is this a thing for you? If so, why? Do you as a legal gun owner feel that you're being actively oppressed?

Personally I haven't felt any of this while carrying for over 40 years, not once. So, I'm just curious If this is a new thing gun owners are feeling, or is it generational thing? Give me your thoughts, no judgment. I'm genuinely curious.

I suppose I've felt that way, although the words "oppressed minority" never formed in my brain to describe it.

Gun owners may be a minority. 2A advocates are definitely a minority. I don't know what kind of numbers the antis can put together, but I think that in raw numbers we're approximately equal. In messaging and image-building we're way behind.

Like with most issues, theres about 1/3 for, 1/3 against, and 1/3 who don't much care.

Lots of things to consider here.

I think that it would depend on where you live or where you are at a given time....
And to an extent how you conduct yourself when in the public eye when in possession of a firearm.

Where I live...not a whole lot of folks own firearms and many of the people I interact with are influenced by the stereotypes of gun owners that are shown in the news media....
Not to forget , that much of their firearm "knowledge" comes from the TV and movies.
The media stereotype and the misinformation from TV shows and movies can at times , create a awkward at best situation when it is made known that I am gun owner....at least in my experience.

Do I personally feel like a "oppressed minority"...?
In the general sense...Yes.

Not in the specific sense of say Rosa Parks..
So I would never equate my experience with her or someone like her.
No need to get all literal or out of context with "oppressed minority".
The above is stressed here in the hopes of preventing any "reading into" my comments.

But "oppressed" in a general way of :
Double standards....Such as :
Being held accountable for the actions of criminals who used a firearm...or those who misuse a firearm and harm themselves or others.
We are often told not to judge a whole group by the actions of some individuals within that group....yet in much of my experiences...this is what happens to gun owners.

Or being seen as a potential danger , simply because I own firearms.
Having folks stop being friendly to me , again because I own firearms.
Related to that...have folks make assumptions about me , because I won firearms.

Please notice the "I" statements...
These are my thoughts based on my experiences....it may be very different for another firearm owner , living and working someplace else.
Andy

Lots of things to consider here.

I think that it would depend on where you live or where you are at a given time....
And to an extent how you conduct yourself when in the public eye when in possession of a firearm.

Where I live...not a whole lot of folks own firearms and many of the people I interact with are influenced by the stereotypes of gun owners that are shown in the news media....
Not to forget , that much of their firearm "knowledge" comes from the TV and movies.
The media stereotype and the misinformation from TV shows and movies can at times , create a awkward at best situation when it is made known that I am gun owner....at least in my experience.

Do I personally feel like a "oppressed minority"...?
In the general sense...Yes.

Not in the specific sense of say Rosa Parks..
So I would never equate my experience with her or someone like her.
No need to get all literal or out of context with "oppressed minority".
The above is stressed here in the hopes of preventing any "reading into" my comments.

But "oppressed" in a general way of :
Being held accountable for the actions of criminals who used a firearm...or those who misuse a firearm and harm themselves or others.
We are often told not to judge a whole group by the actions of some individuals within that group....yet in much of my experiences...this is what happens to gun owners.

Related to that...have folks make assumptions about me , because I won firearms.

Please notice the "I" statements...
These are my thoughts based on my experiences....it may be very different for another firearm owner , living and working someplace else.
Andy

Thanks for the great reply.

I can relate personally to this!

And to this!

Thanks for the insightful reply, Andy. You saved me from typing basically the same thing.

And to address the OP's question, the answer is yes, I do feel like an "oppressed minority" in that I feel that I am being dismissed as a human being by a large cohort of the population simply because I have a penchant for firearms.

I am a gun owner.
I am employed.
I pay taxes.
I am law abiding.
I am peaceful.
I believe in God.

Therefore, in the eyes of the media and the progressive's, I am a Deplorable individual that should be exterminated.

I suppose I've felt that way, although the words "oppressed minority" never formed in my brain to describe it.

Gun owners may be a minority. 2A advocates are definitely a minority. I don't know what kind of numbers the antis can put together, but I think that in raw numbers we're approximately equal. In messaging and image-building we're way behind.

Like with most issues, theres about 1/3 for, 1/3 against, and 1/3 who don't much care.
I am a gun owner.
I am employed.
I pay taxes.
I am law abiding.
I am peaceful.
I believe in God.

Therefore, in the eyes of the media and the progressive's, I am a Deplorable individual that should be exterminated.

I'm all those things as well, but I do think the whole everyone is out to get me and wants to literally exterminate me falls into the stereotypical gun nut category perception.

I can relate personally to this!

And to this!

Thanks for the insightful reply, Andy. You saved me from typing basically the same thing.

And to address the OP's question, the answer is yes, I do feel like an "oppressed minority" in that I feel that I am being dismissed as a human being by a large cohort of the population simply because I have a penchant for firearms.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I'm honestly blown away that gun owners feel like this. It just never crossed my mind to really give two craps what others think about me exercising my own rights. May I ask, because I am genuinely curious why you care about what these people think of you and view you as a person when they really have nothing to do with your daily life?

May I ask, because I am genuinely curious why you care about what these people think of you and view you as a person when they really have nothing to do with your daily life?

Speaking only for myself here and again from my experiences as a gun owner :

When doing something with a firearm and in public view...
You can be seen as representing all firearm owners with what you say and what you do.
We all need to be the best "Ambassadors" , so to speak of gun owners , that we can be.

It also may the viewing public's first contact with a firearm or firearm owner....first impressions are often lasting impressions.

So even if the people I come into contact with may "really have nothing to do with my daily life"...
How I act and the things that I say while being known as a firearm owner , may have an affect on their life.
And while I can not control how they think....
I can be put forth a positive image of a gun owner...
Or send out negative image of a gun owner...My actions and the things that I say will influence this image one way or another.
Andy

Do you as a legal gun owner feel that you're being actively oppressed?
Your original question is quoted above. I answered it in the affirmative, because I actually do feel and believe that I am being actively oppressed as a legal gun owner.
Laws are drawn up to specifically target/restrict my rights and the rights of others like me. The MSM views us as villainous. Anti-2A types view us as killers.
If that doesn't sound like a campaign of "active oppression" to you, then I don't know what else to tell you that might cause you to reconsider my position.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I'm honestly blown away that gun owners feel like this. It just never crossed my mind to really give two craps what others think about me exercising my own rights. May I ask, because I am genuinely curious why you care about what these people think of you and view you as a person when they really have nothing to do with your daily life?
Nowhere did I say that I gave a bubblegum what other people think of me as a person and a gun owner exercising my rights. What I said was I felt actively oppressed and dismissed as a human being. How I feel and what I care about are two entirely different things. The two positions should not be conflated.

Allow me to be perfectly clear on this point. I don't give two bubblegums what other people think about me. What I do give a bubblegum about is being treated less than human simply because my value system differs from another's.

Speaking only for myself here and again from my experiences as a gun owner :

You can be seen as representing all firearm owners with what you say and what you do.
We all need to be the best "Ambassadors" , so to speak of gun owners , that we can be.

It also may the viewing public's first contact with a firearm or firearm owner....first impressions are often lasting impressions.

So even if the people I come into contact with may "really have nothing to do with my daily life"...
How I act and the things that I say while being known as a firearm owner , may have an affect on their life.
And while I can not control how they think....
I can be put forth a positive image of a gun owner...
Or send out negative image of a gun owner...My actions and the things that I say will influence this image one way or another.
Andy

I agree we are all in a way representatives of the whole gun culture, which is a big reason why I continue to promote safe handling and not reacting in fear, or with a clouded sense of judgment due to a variety of issues. But we are all human and some of us are going to make mistakes, that's for sure. I hate to say and honestly it shouldn't be our job to do it, but we should be more open about shaming, blaming, and naming the bad gun owners and those that promote or praise bad gun behavior, because they embrace their "tough guy I can do as I please" attitudes, or just plain bad information. Sure no one is gonna comply with a ban or confiscation, but that doesn't mean go out and point your gun at anything that spooks you. Maybe I've been out of the gun culture for too long, but it seems a lot of gun owners are scared of everything, or just letting others get under their skin when really we're all legally doing what we have the right too. There is always gonna be anti folk, and we will continue to fight them, but it is about time we start policing the bad gun owners and straight shaming them out of the communities. Fear is not an excuse to be a bad gun owner.

Your original question is quoted above. I answered it in the affirmative, because I actually do believe and feel that I am being actively oppressed as a legal gun owner.
Laws are drawn up to specifically target/restrict my rights and the rights of others like me. The MSM views us as villainous. Anti-2A types view us as killers.
If that doesn't sound like a campaign of "active oppression" to you, then I don't know what else to tell you that might cause you to cogitate upon my position.

Nowhere did I say that I gave a bubblegum what other people think of me as a person and a gun owner exercising my rights. What I said was I felt actively oppressed and dismissed as a human being. I don't give two bubblegums what other people think about me. What I do give a bubblegum about is being treated less than human simply because my value system differs from another's. The two positions should not be conflated.

Sorry, I didn't mean to re ad the first quote or expect a second answer on that, that was just my mistake with quoting.

I disagree, I think at least for myself I'd first have to care what others think of me and me exercising my rights in order to ever feel oppressed or dismissed as a human being. But that's me, we will just have to disagree on that point. Again people treating me with different cause I'm a gun owner doesn't really equate to oppression to me. But to each their own feelings, just seems like a lot of wasted energy. Good luck and God Bless.

I hate to say and honestly it shouldn't be our job to do it, but we should be more open about shaming, blaming, and naming the bad gun owners and those that promote or praise bad gun behavior, because they embrace their "tough guy I can do as I please" attitudes, or just plain bad information.

This may sound at odds with what I posted before...

But it ain't my place to shame , blame and name others.

My intent with this :
Was just to give folks something to consider...
Namely that the public will see you when you are out and about with a firearm...
And while you may not care how others view you...
Others will view you...as well as judge you and all gun owners by your example.
This viewing and judging may also affect other gun owners.

What others do is beyond my control....
I can only be the best example that I can be.
Andy

I disagree, I think at least for myself I'd first have to care what others think of me and me exercising my rights in order to ever feel oppressed or dismissed as a human being. But that's me, we will just have to disagree on that point.
I don't need to care what others think of me to know when I am being actively oppressed. The two states are not mutually inclusive. It's that simple.

Again people treating me with different cause I'm a gun owner doesn't really equate to oppression to me. But to each their own feelings, just seems like a lot of wasted energy. Good luck and God Bless.
Being treated differently because you are member of a different class/group/clan/tribe/whatever is one of the definitions of oppression.
oppress
[ uh-pres ]SHOW IPA
SEE SYNONYMS FOR oppress ON THESAURUS.COM
verb (used with object)

to burden with cruel or unjust impositions or restraints; subject to a burdensome or harsh exercise of authority or power: a people oppressed by totalitarianism.

And whoever said I was expending any energy on it? Did I not already say that I couldn't give two bubblegums what other people think about me?

Last Edited:
I don't need to care what others think of me to know when I am being actively oppressed. It's that simple.

And I said I disagree, are we just gonna go around in circles. I was speaking for myself, so please don't get confused that I'm speaking for you. If you choose to continue arguing a moot point I got nothing left to say to ya, friend.

ob
This may sound at odds with what I posted before...

But it ain't my place to shame , blame and name others.

My intent with this :

Was just to give folks something to consider...
Namely that the public will see you when you are out and about with a firearm...
And while you may not care how others view you...
Others will view you...as well as judge you and all gun owners by your example.
This viewing and judging may also affect other gun owners.

What others do is beyond my control....
I can only be the best example that I can be.
Andy

Well, I'd also disagree that it is beyond our control. Sure, we can't control everything, but That sounds like a bit of a copout to not hold our own community accountable, but that's just me. If I see a friend behaving badly with a gun and I have the power to influence them by saying something, well it isn't out of our control. But again, it's ok we disagree. Perhaps I just have a different idea of what it means to be an active member of a gun community in which I do care how other gun owners represent themselves. If we continue to let bad faith gun owners act like dangerous people without saying anything, well we're apart of the problem then.

God Bless You!

I don't need to care what others think of me to know when I am being actively oppressed. The two states are not mutually inclusive. It's that simple.

Being treated differently because you are member of a different class/group/clan/tribe/whatever is one of the definitions of oppression.
oppress
[ uh-pres ]SHOW IPA
SEE SYNONYMS FOR oppress ON THESAURUS.COM
verb (used with object)

to burden with cruel or unjust impositions or restraints; subject to a burdensome or harsh exercise of authority or power: a people oppressed by totalitarianism.

And whoever said I was expending any energy on it? Did I not already say that I couldn't give two bubblegums what other people think about me?
You can edit your comment as many times as you like, I'm still going to disagree with you. Seems like wasted energy to me.

ob

Well, I'd also disagree that it is beyond our control. Sure, we can't control everything, but That sounds like a bit of a copout to not hold our own community accountable, but that's just me. If I see a friend behaving badly with a gun and I have the power to influence them by saying something, well it isn't out of our control. But again, it's ok we disagree. Perhaps I just have a different idea of what it means to be an active member of a gun community in which I do care how other gun owners represent themselves. If we continue to let bad faith gun owners act like dangerous people without saying anything, well we're apart of the problem then.

God Bless You!
You can say something to your " friend who is behaving badly with a gun"...
Even show him the proper and or safe way of "behaving" with a gun...
But you can not control or make him do it....all the time..
He needs to do that himself.

i am not saying to ignore unsafe actions and not say anything to someone committing them...
Just that you can not "make" them safe....only they can , if they choose to do so.

Also
Something to consider is :
What works safely for one person in regards to firearms....may not be the same for you...yet still be safe.
Andy

And I said I disagree, are we just gonna go around in circles. I was speaking for myself, so please don't get confused that I'm speaking for you. If you choose to continue arguing a moot point I got nothing left to say to ya, friend.
You asked a question, with a stated sincerity of "no judgement". I answered, with complete sincerity. We don't have to agree. Good day, sir.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top