JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you ever carry in an ankle holster?

• Yes, I do!

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Yes, but only a backup piece. Primary is carried differently.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • In the past; not now.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Nope.

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • What is an ankle holster?

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • (Gasp!) Guns are scary and bad, you shouldn't carry them!

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
Once I did. Then I quit doing it.
Was a really nice Neoprene, super comfortable. It's still sitting on my shelf.

Saved the slide and vowed never to do it again.

The title kind of says it all. Curious if there are some who carry in an ankle holster and how it has worked out. Poll included. Thanks.

Never had an ankle holster but did carry 2" 38 in my cowboy boot top. Uncomfortable if it got right against the ankle bone.
I usually got it to snuggle around it where it didn't bother too much, carried it that way all across the country and back mostly driving truck, ignored any and all carry laws in those days, didn't even think of them. Ignorance is bliss! o_O:eek:
Gabby

Last Edited:
Never chewed, but I remember as an adolescent/young adult when I smoked coffin nails, I did the roll the pack in t-shirt sleeve thing. :s0112:

When I wore bell bottom trousers and a coat of Navy blue, we weren't allowed to carry them in the jumper pocket, so they went in my sock, the packages got wrinkled up some and now and then would ruin a smoke or 2, but at 10 cents a pack who cared?
Talk about inflation, I'm glad I quit the habit, I couldn't afford them any more! :eek:
Gabby

When I wore bell bottom trousers and a coat of Navy blue, we weren't allowed to carry them in the jumper pocket, so they went in my sock, the packages got wrinkled up some and now and then would ruin a smoke or 2, but at 10 cents a pack who cared?
Talk about inflation, I'm glad I quit the habit, I couldn't afford them any more! :eek:
Gabby

I am shocked when I see people buy them here. While back I was at the Customer counter in a grocery store. Guy in front of me was buying 5 packs of a couple name brands. The total was $54 and change. I thought surely I did not hear it right so asked when it was my turn. I had heard it correctly. They were like $2 a pack when I got mad and quit. How anyone in their right mind would pay $100 for a carton of smokes is beyond me.

Man some of those shorts manufacturers sure make em look like long pants on some people.... well giants excluded of course... lol
[/QUOTE

These days, sometimes it's hard to tell if young guys are wearing shorts, boxers, or pajamas. Some women, too.

For many many years, I carried every single day in a custom made 2 piece ankle holster that laces to to the outside of the G.I. Combat boot,

It's pathetic to have to say this, but I can no longer wear combat boots. Among a rather lengthy list of physical shortcomings I've acquired, that is one of them. The talk of "what happens when the SHTF" makes me laugh now. I know what would happen to me; I'd die fairly early on.

Thanks all for the thoughts, etc. Personally, I've carried in such a manner years ago, but didn't continue with said, for various reasons, some noted by our good friends.

What brought this back up is we're headed up north for wacky adventures. My wife's carry mode, in this case, is easy, purse rather than on the person in the belly band or thigh holster. Me, less so, as "deep concealment", is a requirement, considering the unique parameters, and since the city where the venue is a craphole, I'm packing. Still don't want scare the flatlanders. :p

Considered the belt box, but it is so dorky:
IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

Then there is the ankle holster. Less dorky carry, but perhaps. Who knows.

IMG_0646.jpg

Not stainless, eh?

Many find out the hard way that the stainless alloys used to make firearms are not the same as the ones used to make other stuff like flatware. The alloys that will not rust don't work for firearms, so they had to do the best they could. They are more rust resistant, but they do rust. One BIG advantage to the stainless firearms is if they do rust they are far easier to "fix" and make look nice again.

Hi, I'm nammac and I'm a former ankle carrier... back when I was younger and a bit more flexible than I am today, I carried a 2" .38 in a Bianchi cordora thumb break ankle holster, with work boots and jeans that were a couple of inches longer than needed to provide adequate cover when seated.

As has been said, slow to get to, certainly only a last ditch backup as I know things now. I'd rather sport a pocket carried .380.

If you can keep a cover garment on, or just an untucked shirt, a Springfield 911, Kimber Micro .380 or Sig P238 coupled with a VersaCarry makes for a minimalist package. Just disappears for me, loaded with 99gr Federal HST, it's adequate to get me to the next larger weapon.

F7C5AB91-042A-45CA-B6CD-0C07DA52F9B6.jpeg

940D53AD-E4B0-4D20-8B0E-48438B269EFE.jpeg

Many find out the hard way that the stainless alloys used to make firearms are not the same as the ones used to make other stuff like flatware. The alloys that will not rust don't work for firearms, so they had to do the best they could. They are more rust resistant, but they do rust. One BIG advantage to the stainless firearms is if they do rust they are far easier to "fix" and make look nice again.
Been there, done that with my first .38, rusted the cylinder from perspiration. Switched to stainless and wedged a ziplok sandwich bag between the ankle and holster to act as a moisture barrier...

Tried on a few ankle holsters in my time, fat calves (from logging) never seemed to give a good fit. Have always carried a 380 in pocket holster. First was an AMT DA 380, now a Keltec P3AT, as back up to a belt gun. However, I have been very comfortable with a boot knife all my life in my motorcycle boot. Can get to one pretty fast while on the scooter, say at a stop light. Always my Gerber Mk 1.

I carry every day with an ankle holster. I have worn out the velcro on 5-6 Uncle Mike's ankle holsters. If I have my work boots on ( 8" Danner's), I have my ankle holster on. Work mostly but hunting also. Hike 6 miles a day hunting with it on, doesn't bother me a bit. At work climbing pivots, in grain bins, hiking through potato fields.... Never worry about loosing a gun. I do realize it is not going to be deployed fast but I have it if I need it.

I carry a 642 in a Galco Ankle Glove, with the calf strap, from time to time. Once it's on there I don't even notice it. It gives you very quick access to a firearm if you're sitting in a car, or a table at a restaurant.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top