JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't see the point, and see lots of drawbacks of constant loading and unloading of weapons. If I carried a 1911 it would either be always cocked and locked, or always with an empty chamber. Either works for me, I don't have strong preferences either way.

The rare times I do unload my pistol (for cleaning) I always check the loaded round length. I have put the original dimension on the bullet with a sharpie, so I can know if bullet setback occurs. Last time I checked it was .001" shorter, not enough for me to worry about it - yet.

Now that I have started carrying a 1911 in the "cocked & locked" fashion I am faced with the question as to whether I should clear my weapon each night or simply leave it cocked & locked until the next day.

My personal, and uneducated, opinion is that it is best to just leave it cocked and locked. My thinking is that if it is safe to carry in that condition all day it is surely safe to leave it in that condition in the nightstand drawer or in the safe. I figure the more you clear and re-chamber a round the more possibility there is of a ND so why not limit those opportunities for misfortune.

Opinions?

Place your .40 S&W Chiappa under your pillow, and you will sleep soundly at night.

After all, if some disturbance wakes you up in the middle of the night, and you are groggy and only half awake, do you really want to be fumbling around to get your pistol ready to shoot???

242775-85558ef5ac75cc28b2b21fff092088eb-jpg.301914.jpg

Last Edited:
I don't carry cocked/locked. I know, I know...i may not have a hand free to rack the slide if i need to blah blah blah. But i have a six year old daughter and the chance of me leaving it unattended for a minute and her deciding to 'play' with it, or any other dozens of things that could happen accidently with it around the house far outweigh the chance i would need it cocked in locked for a bad guy. And yes, she 'know's better, but still not worth the risk.
So due to playing the odds, i carry it 24/7, at home and outside the home. but without a round in the chamber. Figure it is better than being totally unarmed at least. :eek:
Kenoc, I carry Cocked and Locked AND I keep it in condition one except cleaning and draw and point drills. BUT I don't have a youngster to worry about. My grand kids are not allowed in our bedroom without one of us in it, and I have at least two weapons live at all times.
I respect your reasoning and challenge anyone to walk in your shoes and make a different decision.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads