JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I not only have my handguns "cleared" (nothing in the chamber), I put them somewhere that I have to get out of bed, open a door, and retrieve them - to increase the chances that I will be awake when I do.

The reason is I have REM Sleep Behavior Disorder; I act out my dreams. I have removed guns from the drawer at the head of the bed and racked the slide, I have removed a pocket knife from my pocket and tried to stab a person in my dreams beside me, I have kicked and punched anything with in reach (several times knocking lamps off of tables) and screamed for help and so on.

Fortunately I live and sleep alone (when I was married I did flail about once and hit my wife with a backhand) - but I have moved my guns to where I can't easily reach them.

Sounds like you took reasonable precautions to keep safe as any responsible person should.

Cocked and locked 24/7! Wife is the same! rotate mags every other week, only one round of ammo is ever used to chamber, and that round is inserted by hand, cleared easy so not to damage or seat back. Cary ammo expended every six months or so, and replaced with fresh!

Same, same.

Unloaded guns are a waste in a hurry - may as well grab a big knife.

Sorry, I should have looked at the date.

I now have that person on ignore, but this is another common tactic of trolls so I should have been on the lookout. I am out of practice - it has been too long.:oops:

It's ok man - someone has more then a screw loose on his scope and can't understand why his shots aren't on target...:p

It goes beyond stupidity and we aren't used to that on this forum.

Sounds like you took reasonable precautions to keep safe as any responsible person should.

The one that freaked me out was when I fell asleep in my recliner after eating dinner i nthe evening (something I do all too frequently on a work day) and had a nightmare and I pulled my folding knife from my pocket, opened it and was trying to stab the person in my dreams because they were attacking me. I only woke up when I knocked a lamp off the table next to the recliner.

The amount of coordination to do that is more than enough to rack a slide and pull a trigger on a handgun.

It's ok man - someone has more then a screw loose on his scope and can't understand why his shots aren't on target...:p

It goes beyond stupidity and we aren't used to that on this forum.

Yeah - I used to be on a forum that had more than its share of trolls and they bumped threads, and harassed people and so on - every trick in the book to get attention, and I fell for every one until I got wise. But it has been years since I quit that forum so I am out of practice.

The one that freaked me out was when I fell asleep in my recliner after eating dinner i nthe evening (something I do all too frequently on a work day) and had a nightmare and I pulled my folding knife from my pocket, opened it and was trying to stab the person in my dreams because they were attacking me. I only woke up when I knocked a lamp off the table next to the recliner.

The amount of coordination to do that is more than enough to rack a slide and pull a trigger on a handgun.

My dad has some pretty bad PTSD that he never dealt with from his stint in nam - we new to not ever wake him growing up, it was a bit scary the one time I did.

My dad has some pretty bad PTSD that he never dealt with from his stint in nam - we new to not ever wake him growing up, it was a bit scary the one time I did.

I can't claim PTSD - I just have bad dreams sometimes. When we dream, it is our subconscious. So it is our emotions that are running loose without our rational brain to reign them in. All our emotions and imagination that we keep under control when awake, are let loose when we dream.

Someone who has been through trauma certainly has much more to deal with.

Yeah - I used to be on a forum that had more than its share of trolls and they bumped threads, and harassed people and so on - every trick in the book to get attention, and I fell for every one until I got wise. But it has been years since I quit that forum so I am out of practice.

Maybe we should get this forum back to the way it was...:rolleyes:

Loaded but not cocked. I have a few warning setups or challenges, including my dog before someone should be able to access the sleeping quarters of my house. For me I don't want to be forced into a bad decision at 3am because I wasn't awake enough to focus.

If you don't live alone sometimes there are unexpected guests or your kid snuck someone in the house you didn't know about. It happens. I'm still not set on leaving the lights off or not, however.

Loaded but not cocked. I have a few warning setups or challenges, including my dog before someone should be able to access the sleeping quarters of my house. For me I don't want to be forced into a bad decision at 3am because I wasn't awake enough to focus.

If you don't live alone sometimes there are unexpected guests or your kid snuck someone in the house you didn't know about. It happens. I'm still not set on leaving the lights off or not, however.

It's all individual to each person. My kid knows I'm armed all the time so she would never sneak around at night & we have protocols for when she is out late and comes home after I go to bed.

BUT I also keep flashlights with all my guns and have fairly good reflexes - and a dog who is very good at knowing who should and should not be in the house.

+1 for the Loaded Dog!!! Best home protection money can buy! And the Lawn Mines can actually help deter an attempt as well! Bad guy has to be thinking how big the dog is that left that in the lawn!

Okay my real answer as opposed to tucking it in and reading a story. LOL
Magazine loaded ... Chamber clear. ( Mostly* )
No real reason for it other than that's how dad did it.
Not saying my way is "right" or better , just how I do it.
* I say mostly 'cause some nights its loaded mag and chamber ... Just cause it seemed like the thing to do.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads