JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now that I have started carrying a 1911 in the "cocked & locked" fashion I am faced with the question as to whether I should clear my weapon each night or simply leave it cocked & locked until the next day.

My personal, and uneducated, opinion is that it is best to just leave it cocked and locked. My thinking is that if it is safe to carry in that condition all day it is surely safe to leave it in that condition in the nightstand drawer or in the safe. I figure the more you clear and re-chamber a round the more possibility there is of a ND so why not limit those opportunities for misfortune.

Opinions?

I agree, although I'm a Glock guy(at least I can admit it), so cocked and locked doesn't apply. All my guns are loaded and assumed to be at all times, the way I figure it, if loaded all the time is your policy, you'll never think it wasn't loaded and blow your toe off (or worse).

Also, I took a caliper and measured a round that had been cleared and reloaded a few times and the bullet was definitely pushed down into the case a bit.

If I am going to carry the same gun the next day or in the next few days, it comes off my hip or my ankle in the holster. I then put the whole shebang my little safe (the one in my bedroom just for my carry piece). I don't carry a 1911, but all of guns stay in the same condition they were when I was carrying them. If I am not going to carry that gun for a while, I unload it and put it in the big safe.

The only time I change my routine is when my holster or gun is damp (we do live in Oregon). In that case, I unholster and let the holster dry out next to the safe. The gun stays loaded (I don't carry anything with a manual safety).

Cocked and locked, as long as I'm carring it again the next day or 2. If I switch guns, I unload it and empty the mag. Rotate mags next time I take it out. I alternate between Kimber Pro carry, for city carry IWB, and Kimber full size for OWB carry.

I don't carry cocked/locked. I know, I know...i may not have a hand free to rack the slide if i need to blah blah blah. But i have a six year old daughter and the chance of me leaving it unattended for a minute and her deciding to 'play' with it, or any other dozens of things that could happen accidently with it around the house far outweigh the chance i would need it cocked in locked for a bad guy. And yes, she 'know's better, but still not worth the risk.
So due to playing the odds, i carry it 24/7, at home and outside the home. but without a round in the chamber. Figure it is better than being totally unarmed at least. :eek:

I don't carry cocked/locked. I know, I know...i may not have a hand free to rack the slide if i need to blah blah blah. But i have a six year old daughter and the chance of me leaving it unattended for a minute and her deciding to 'play' with it, or any other dozens of things that could happen accidently with it around the house far outweigh the chance i would need it cocked in locked for a bad guy. And yes, she 'know's better, but still not worth the risk.
So due to playing the odds, i carry it 24/7, at home and outside the home. but without a round in the chamber. Figure it is better than being totally unarmed at least. :eek:

People can chastise you all they like, but it is never worth risking the life of your child. All it would take is one careless moment on your part.

since I carry C & L I leave it that way, then there is never any question.
the 1911 was designed to be carried that way. And one you get comfortable with that
then it will become second nature.

What if you have a bad dream? Any sleepwalkers out there? If I don't have time to pull a hammer back or rack a shotgun then my perimeter security (or yours actually) needs some work.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top