JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lets see.....

1. My parents friends were kidnapped out of their house by a stranger, put in their car trunk and driven to Phoenix. They almost died.
2. My brother's buddy was stabbed in the back at a taco stand.
3. My other brother's friend was robbed at knifepoint in a parking lot of a major grocery chain.
4. I've was in line at Der Weinerschitzel for a chili dog when a guy obviously on PCP attacked a nearby phone booth, climb on top, and howled at people and traffic. Luckily he wasn't on bath salts or it might have been worse.

Bad things only happen to others?

That is why I carry one of these:

1623193033182.png

And this is my backup:

1623193165878.png
1623193312462.png

Deep backup:

1623193456589.png
1623193563439.png

Actually, quite a lot of us on this forum have used a gun in civilian life to defend ourselves or innocent others. I've pulled a gun on an attacking human four times. Two attempted home invasions, one accidental interruption of a robbery, and one situation where I stopped the attempted rape of a young woman in the parking lot behind the womens grad dorm where I was living. All in cities. Four different states. And no it wasn't a nightmare. I just used the gun to chase the bad guys off, like most civilian citizens do in most SD situations. No messy bodies. No legal repercussions. Both home invasions and the attempted rape all happen within a block of a campus. U of Florida, Harvard, and OSU respectively. I only reported two of the four incidents, and to the ordinary police number after event was over , not 911. I certainly did not report the rape I stopped, as it was a mandatory year in prison to have that handgun in my possession in the state of Massachusetts. I will admit that, after behaving with cool efficiency during that incident, afterwards, back in my dorm room, I fell to my knees, tears flowing down my face, and gave thanks that I had got there fast enough, and that I had not had to kill anybody, even a bad guy. Then I went back to bed. No nightmares.

My mother had to chase away two would-be rapists once. She with two small children, one me, collecting shells on an uninhabited island off Panama City Florida. Dad was off in the boat fishing. The would-be rapists yelled to each other over the sound of their boat engine. Voices carry over water. Mother heard their entire discussion, observation that there was probably a husband fishing in a boat nearby but too far to see or interfere. And the words "Let's take her!" And the bow of their boat swung around and headed toward Mother. She merely undid the flap on the holster of her Colt Woodsman .22 pistol and put her hand on the grip. "Good God! She's got a gun!" And the bow of the boat of the bad guys veered away and they sped off.

There's an entire thread somewhere on this forum with dozens of such incidents. (A thread I started.)

What appears to be rare is not us citizens needing to use our guns to protect ourselves from bad humans. Its us citizens needing to protect ourselves from wildlife. However, @Ura-Ki had to use his rifle to kill a cougar that attacked his brother while they were fishing and was ignoring the brother shooting it multiple times with a 9mm.
Yup, and I still have nightmares! My pistol was useless, I was too far away to make a clean shot and it was too risky, might of hit my brother! This is why I ALWAYS carry a rifle when out in the woods, and one in my rig when out and about, you just never know!

Yup, and I still have nightmares! My pistol was useless, I was too far away to make a clean shot and it was too risky, might of hit my brother! This is why I ALWAYS carry a rifle when out in the woods, and one in my rig when out and about, you just never know!
Not surprising you have nightmares. The shot would have been tricky, even with a rifle. And afterwards you had a medical emergency.

One reason I don't carry a second backup gun is that guns are only useful when under potentially lethal attack. I'd rather devote the space and weight to alternate approaches to SD.

What if you're a female, and a guy gropes your breasts or grabs your @ss in a crowd? That happened to a female friend when we were walking on the UO campus. The intent was to abuse and humiliate her, not actually injure her. I was actually carrying a concealed .357 at the time. But it was useless for this sort of thing. Even if the attack was more serious, pulling a gun in a crowd was out. There was no direction to fire it that wouldn't injure or kill one or more innocent bystanders. And the attack brused my friend's breast but was clearly not intended to maim or kill. But should women have to put up with this crap? I dont think so. What would have been ideal is if my friend and I had both been carrying stun guns. A stun gun could have provided both protection and appropriate retribution. I'm going to look into stun guns as a backup.

What about if someone lets their dog run loose and it attacks your dog every time you walk or ride a bike by their house? If you shoot the dog, lots of luck. Discharging a firearm in Corvallis is illegal. It would be forgiven in an unambiguous case of SD of yourself. But who knows how firing a gun in Corvallis and killing someone's pet would play out. At the least it would be a huge legal hassle. The ideal tool for this situation is pepper spray. Back when I had dogs I always also carried pepper spray.

I always carry a knife. I need it for tasting vegetables in the field and much else. When traveling it slices the cheese and spreads the peanut butter. Mine is a Spiderco Endura 4. It has a slightly below 4" folding blade that locks out. 4" is the upper limit for concealed carry in some cities in mid Willamette Valley. It has a flat ground blade, so is easy to sharpen. It weighs about 4 oz. This knife is sturdy enough to use as a weapon if you have nothing better. Far from ideal even for a young broad. During my Young Broad days when camping I often, in addition to a smaller handy knife such as my Spiderco, usually carried a large fixed blade knife such as my Cold Steel Trail Master Bowie on the opposite side from my gun. The Trail Master has a 9 1/2" blade. I figured if anything attacked me and tied up my right hand I could gut it with my left. Way too big for most tasks but great for making kindling or cutting poles to support a tarp shelter and other heavy chores people often use a hatchet for. Heavy enough so I can pound on it or pry with it. Mine is a factory second; it has a heavy epoxy like coat on it, probably to cover up the blemish that caused it to be a second. But great for me, as it made the blade impervious to rust. And it brought the price down to $99.

These days I need a cane to get around more easily. There are very nice self defence canes that are great as walking canes too. Furthermore, they are legal everywhere, including federal buildings. Even on planes, where ordinary citizens can't take stun guns, bear spray or even a pocket knife. My choice is the Tahoe Kingsbury cane. (Cane Masters) Its solid hickory, varnished black. Its a great walking cane as well as a work of art.

Last Edited:
These days I need a cane to get around more easily. There are very nice self defence canes that are great as walking canes too. Furthermore, they are legal everywhere, including federal buildings. Even on planes, where ordinary citizens can't take stun guns, bear spray or even a pocket knife. My choice is the Tahoe Kingsbury cane. (Cane Masters) Its solid hickory, varnished black. Its a great walking cane as well as a work of art.
I have to use a cane sometimes. A lot more often before I had foot surgery. But now I need more foot surgery, and coming up with the other foot too; then there's the back and the knee..... I better start practicing my CaneFu!!

BTW, interesting you mentioned how you carry your knife and pistol in the woods... I used to have a shoulder holster when hunting and I carried my knife at 4:00 along with a steel, and a throwing axe in the daypack to split the pelvic bone (and make firewood; I like a fire when hunting big game, I'm a sitter). But now that I no longer hunt I plan to carry a Windicator .357 at 3:00 and will have to figure out where to put the knife. I would never go out in the woods w/o gun and knife. Not even huckleberrying. None of the woods knives I carry are all that long tho.... those knives stay back at the trailer/truck/camp. Nothing special except the stainless dive knife my former stepson gave me is pretty nice and is water resistant. Otherwise just cheap knives. I used to have a few Corrado Cutlery bigger throwing knives but I gave those to grandsons. I find camp knives good for splitting kindling and various other small tasks.

I carry a Glock. Perfection doesn't fail. So I see no reason to carry a back up. LOL. In all seriousness if I find my self in a situation that requires a back up gun I messed up and missed a whole lot of ques that put me in a predicament that I should have avoided in the first place. LEO I understand. As a civilian my brain and mindset are much more effective and crucial than a second firearm.

I carry a Glock. Perfection doesn't fail. So I see no reason to carry a back up. LOL. In all seriousness if I find my self in a situation that requires a back up gun I messed up and missed a whole lot of ques that put me in a predicament that I should have avoided in the first place. LEO I understand. As a civilian my brain and mindset are much more effective and crucial than a second firearm.
Agree. I used to carry a G19, but I gave it to a stepdaughter when she hired on with ID parole board and didn't have protection. Then I bought a Ruger SR9c, which has a Glock licensed trigger system. I carry it with a 10rd mag for concealment, but carry two 17rd mags on the off side. If I need a New York reload, I must have stepped into the movie set of "Heat". Malfunction clearing is something I am proficient in, having attended USPSA and IDPA matches for decades, but that gun is not going to break so that I need another gun. Not gonna happen.

I have methods to stay out of trouble in the first place...
1. Obey the Rules of Stupid
2. RunFu
3. Humility/keeping ego in check

I just gotta remember to not pizz people off with hand signals when driving. At least stay off the horn, mostly, er sometimes. I have also been known to brake check drivers, or flash lights at those doing 20mph under in the fast lane. Sigh. I'm fortunate that I live way out on 84, might not get away with that in Potland/Seattle. Esp not in L.A. but I don't go down there anymore. Relatives can come see me, I won't be going there.

During the workday I carry a BUG... well... not really.

The BUG is my primary at work. While company policy doesnt prohibit carry I cant risk a customer spotting it and complaining, thus giving the company a reason to make a policy. SO primary is secured while on the clock but the BUG stays in the pocket

Primary is a Glock 30 and BUG is a NAA 22mag. Morning, Lunch and the rest of the day until bed I usually have both on me. Dont feel it after a while

I have a peculiarity where l almost always buy two of any (defensive) handgun... a big one and a smaller version. Call it a BUG, redundant systems, New York reload, failsafe, SHTF, bug-out gear, compatibility, modularity, interchangeability, whatever.

Do l carry a BUG?
No... l just like to have more guns n stuff.

I cant risk a customer spotting it and complaining, thus giving the company a reason to make a policy.
That's superior reasoning.
I recognize it as such because it's the exact system l operate under... don't show, don't tell, don't give em a reason.

My answer to a genial question from a friendly* regarding firearms is;
"I think The Company has a policy against that"
"Yeah, but that wasn't my question... "
"No, but that's my answer".

*if it comes from someone l don't consider a friendly, the answer is less polite.

Last Edited:
I recognize it as such because it's the exact system l operate under... don't show, don't tell, don't give em a reason.

*if it comes from someone l don't consider a friendly, the answer is less polite.
My first week at the new place, I was carrying my sig in a hybrid IWB holster. It was a pain in the bubblegum to take off, so I secured the pistol and left the holster on.
I was with a customer and my shirt lifted as I wad reaching for something, I hear him ask,,"what do you carry?"
I panicked for a second, he lifted his shirt revealing a Glock 43 & said, its okay, I carry too.

I got lucky there but I switched holsters the next day

I started working down town Portland a little over a year ago. The company has a policy against firearms being carried or on the property. After proving my worth I told my boss I was going to carry (even though I already was) and if that was an issue I had no problem finding a different job. My boss smiled and said "I am glad someone here carries a gun. Those rules are more of a liability insurance anyway." Lucky for me my boss is pretty right leaning and when things get hairy around the office I just get the look and I just nod back affirming I have it on me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top