JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
REI has announced they will no longer purchase and sell items from companies that also sell firearms or firearms accessories. Here is my message to REI:
I have been an REI member since the 1960s. I am also a Life Member of the NRA. REI's corporate decision to stand against the Second Amendment has convinced me to end my relationship with REI. I haven't purchased very many products from REI in the last few years due to poor quality, excessively high prices (too high to justify the dividend) and lack of brick and mortar stores in my area. Moving the Portland store from Jantzen Beach to a high crime area in Portland, or the store in Clackamas, are not viable options for me to shop. I'm 71 years old, a veteran and I am completely disgusted with businesses that infuse their left-wing politics into what should be a simple buying activity. You likely won't miss me as a customer and I certainly won't miss REI. BTW, I'm still an active outdoorsman and I purchase camping, hiking and hunting gear every year.
Do you have any idea about how many hunters who buy thousands of dollars worth of outdoor items every year will also stop shopping at REI due to your self righteous, anti-gun rights bigotry?
What gets me is that they are a membership driven store, and this decision wasn't put to a vote by the members.

I wrote them a nice long comment about how I own a REI Cruiser Back pack I bought way back in 1975 that I have dragged all over creation ever since. But due to their recent actions involving companies who make products for law abiding customers I will no longer be buying a damn thing to go into that bag from thier store. And how the new sleeping bag I buy will do just fine if it comes from Cabelas or Bass Pro or some other non judgemental store.

Since Bimart has joined age discrimination mob, I sent off a message to them as well:

The Washougal, WA has a sign in the sporting goods section announcing that firearms, ammunition and reloading supplies will not be sold to anyone under the age of 21. According to 2016 data, Murder - number of victims by weapons used 2016 | Statistic, there were 1604 homicides committed with knives or cutting instruments, but only 374 homicides committed with rifles of all types and 262 committed with shotguns. Therefore, if an 18 to 20 year old citizen can't even purchase a 22 caliber rifle and ammunition, I demand that no one under the age of 21 be permitted to purchase a knife or other cutting instrument. More blunt instruments (472) such as hammers, baseball bats, etc., were used in homicides than rifles, therefore I demand that hammers, crow bars, baseball bats, hockey sticks or any other blunt instruments not be sold to anyone under the age of 21. 656 homicides were committed with hands or feet but even you probably won't be dumb enough to prohibit anyone with hands or feet purchase anything in the store until age 21. If you think my demands are unreasonable, even absurd, then consider that your ban on purchase of rifles, shotguns, ammunition and reloading supplies by persons under the age of 21 doesn't make any sense considering how many other instruments are used more often in homicides than rifles. Stop with the virtue signaling nonsense and respect those citizens who are legally allowed to buy firearms, ammunition and reloading supplies to do so. They are, after all, potential future customers (but not likely since you are so willing to discriminate against them).

I wonder if Bimart and other merchants that have implemented the age discrimination policy would change if they got a few hundred, or a few thousand, messages like this one?

I did buy some bike lights, both white and flashing supper bright LED tails lights from REI. Also bought a pair or Ortlieb Panniers. That was years ago. I tend to order most of my bike clothes and accessories from Performance bike anyways. Since I got laid off my employer back in 2014 I have not ridden my bike to work at all now. My bike is collecting dust in the garage now.

What is rei?

Recreation Equipment Incorporated was started in a garage as a coop of mountain climbers so they could save money on equipment. It was a great place for climbing, backpacking and related equipment until it became more of a corporation than a coop. The membership also changed from outdoors oriented people who needed dependable gear to people who want to look fashionable in the outdoors. Basically they have followed the Eddie Bauer model of going from an expedition outfitter to fashionable wear for the gentry, though at this point they still sell actual equipment, though overpriced as others have stated.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews