JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got some fond memories of REI gear circa 1971, making a couple day trip from PDX to SeattleLand.....in the days I actually enjoyed the abysmal traffic etc. The unusual adaptation to the available store floor space, the various departments where the sales people actually knew a LOT about the product & the art of outdoorsy stuff; the used boot department alone was worth the trek.

Shouldda seen it coming, for decades everything pointed away from 'rugged outdoorsy type' to just another type of boutique. And I refuse to put up with the malarky about NRA.

I became a member in 1965 when REI had just one store in Seattle. You could buy vibram soles for your hiking shoes; most of the hiking shoes available didn't have vibram yet. Back then the sales people knew more about the stuff they sold than most customers did. Now I don't think any of them are very knowledgeable about anything that doesn't use batteries.

They are a co-op with particular political views (many of which I do not disagree with).

While they are also a business, the impression I got from them and the majority of their members is that they will not compromise their political views in order to have a better business. This has included, pretty much from the outset, not catering at all to the shooting sports, including hunting, and very little if any for fishing even.

They do not want that business, and this latest announcement should be of no surprise to any member. If it is the last straw for you, then fine - but I have never expected REI to support the Second Amendment rights of anybody.

A couple of years ago I found an REI gift card laying on the ground at an Arco gas station.
Called up the 1-800 number and found that it had $45.00 on it.
I took my wife to the downtown Portland store and after walking around for awhile the only thing that interested me was some gourmet beef jerky and custom stainless steel water bottles.

I used REI in 2010 to gear up when I did Rainier in 2010. Never went back...to Rainier or REI. That summit took all the Mountain wonderlust out of me...LOL.

I made my first purchase from REI maby 50 years ago while they were still being operated out of a Seattle garage . They were a solid climbing equipment supplier before it became a sheik activity that was closer than going to Denver. When training troops in modern climbing methods in the USAF (one of the reasons I wound up in Combat Rescue) I bought equipment from them again. Nothing silly, but hard core climbing equipment and ropes. As Heretic said, they have always been anti gun.....and since climbing has been embraced by the Sierra Club types (like fly fishing) the company has become insufferable. I haven't bought from them for 40 years. They are truly pandering to there base. They wanted some photos of there equipment being used......off course all I sent them were of fully equipped GI's with select fire weapons and medical gear.........they didn't think much of them.

gear up when I did Rainier in 2010.

now that's a story I'd like to hear about.....equipment, cost, etc...if you don't mind
I'll never make any kind of mountaineer but enjoy seeing what kind of stuff it takes to make such a journey...

an old (REALLY old) high school buddy told me of his stroll up Mt Borah celebrating the 50th annual class reunion of such....essentially just decent scrambling boots & a small bag for water/snacks. I was intrigued until he mentioned "Chicken Out Ridge" which I looked up on line. "IF" I had made it that far....that would have been the turn around for me for sure.

Thread drift /OFF

I spent 25 years in the Seattle area and I liked to hike and camp and XC ski and such.

So I went there on occasion, usually when they had a sale, but also some slide shows.

They didn't push any agenda except to protect the environment which I agree with, but most of the people who shop there are very much to the left and therefore had other agendas besides the environment/et. al.

As I said, I never had any illusions about where they were when it came to the shooting sports/etc., they were just a store that had some nice equipment that usually was not offered anywhere else. Once that equipment because available on the internet I have had less and less reason to go into any of their stores unless they had a really good sale. The last time I did was several years ago to take my daughter in and get her some waterproof walking shoes suitable for walking home if her car broke down.

now that's a story I'd like to hear about.....equipment, cost, etc...if you don't mind
I'll never make any kind of mountaineer but enjoy seeing what kind of stuff it takes to make such a journey...

an old (REALLY old) high school buddy told me of his stroll up Mt Borah celebrating the 50th annual class reunion of such....essentially just decent scrambling boots & a small bag for water/snacks. I was intrigued until he mentioned "Chicken Out Ridge" which I looked up on line. "IF" I had made it that far....that would have been the turn around for me for sure.

Thread drift /OFF

No problem:
IMG Guide cost $1,200.00
Parka, Climbing boot & 0 degree bag rental $40.00
Food for 3 days $50.00
Gator's, Climbing pants & Thermals $180.00
Gloves (3 pair) $100.00
Misc. $100.00

I know I'm missing some stuff here but those are the costs I remember, the total was right at $2k.
Living in the shadow of Rainier my whole life I just had to climb it, I'd be a regret if I didn't at least temp it. Thankfully the weather was fantastic and we made it w/o a hitch. We wen't up the Deception Clever which is the easiest way to do it.
IMG_1412.JPG

First and last time I was in an REI was about 20 years ago.
I felt as unwelcome in the REI store as I felt unwelcome in Nordstrom's... I didn't fit the demographic then and I sure as HE11 don't fit it now.

I still get shivers just thinking about it...and, to top it off, they were in............malls :eek: !!!

They are great when you need overpriced, neon colored gear. Liberals love that stuff, otherwise even if they have good stuff, it's $$$

They are great for getting ideas of things you want to look into, but without something being seriously discounted stacked with a 20% off coupon, it's overpriced.

I started buying from them in 1983, the first year I started climbing in the Tetons.
Except for rappelling in the Flat Irons in ~'88, I stopped climbing with ropes. People say I'm f'ing nutz, I say I'll die happy. Hence, stopped buying climbing gear from REI.
I go in every 4-5 years, and am surprised every time at the prices. Like @ZA_Survivalist says, it's where wealthy (and granola outdoorsy folk) overpay for their stuff. You WILL find cheaper elsewhere, and of equal quality.
Catering to their revenue stream. They won't miss me.

My late uncle Chet had a two-digit membership number; I didn't join until 1974. Gave them a lot of money over the next ten years for backpacks, climbing ropes, snow flukes, pickets, ice axes, crampons, etc. Back then the Whittaker twins were still a heavy influence, and camping out on the sidewalk before the yearly sale was an event. As it became more corporate and expanded to new locations, the change in vibe at the store was as evident as the change in gear being carried. Haven't shopped there in many years, but this is a good reason to send my membership card back in two pieces.

I have purchased a few pair of climbing boots from them. One of the few places that has LaSportiva boots. Never again will they see a dime. Still miss GI Joes.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews