Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Do you buy ammo of a caliber you don't already own?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Wenis, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

I'm saving up for a 9mm pistol, but nearly everytime I'm in a store that has ammo (especially if it's cheap) I compulsively buy it, even though I don't own a 9mm yet. Anyone else do this?

2. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

This is also a method I've used to convince the wife for a new gun purchase.:D

3. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil Salem, OR Active Member

I do the opposite, I've typically got piles of ammo left over from guns I traded off on a whim (almost always after amassing a large ammo supply)

4. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

I voted no because I have not done this, but the thought had crossed my mind.....

5. smithmax

smithmax here Member

A friend of mine has been buying more ammo for my guns than I have. Does it count if you're buying calibers that you don't own, but you're going to shoot?

6. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I figure that I don't have enough (can you ever have enough?) ammo for the calibers I already own. So, I won't "waste" money on other calibers. Why would I? To use for barter in a SHTF situation? No! I don't think I would want to help arm a potential enemy. I'd rather barter with food or some other item and KEEP (and be able to use) all of my ammo!

7. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

No I don't and never have purchased ammo in a caliber I don't own and I wish other people wouldn't either. If you are buying ammo for a gun that you know you soon will buy I guess I'm okay with that but otherwise all your doing is taking away from those that could actually use the ammunition and increasing the shortage artificially.

8. 86-0134

86-0134 north willamette valley Member

I buy any and all ammo i find regardless of the caliber. im going to use it someday to barter for food when the world economy collapses. sincerely, johnny apocalypse

9. BrianL

BrianL Hermiston Active Member

No never, but I have thought about it for trading reasons.

10. roguebowhunter

roguebowhunter medford Member

i do not buy loaded ammo .. but i buy brass and relaodin supplies for guns i'm gonna buy ... Don

11. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

:bluelaugh: Good luck with that!

I have food storage and bullets so if a SHTF situation happens I would recomend not coming to my house to trade bullets which I already have for food.

Go get yourself some food storage started already and stop buying bullets you likely have way more then you can ever need.

If it all goes to heck and a hand basket and you come to my house to trade bullets for food I think it more likely we'd be trading bullets back and forth and I rather not play that game.

Again if your concerned about it quit foolishly buying up all the bullets and start buying up storable food already. Just like gold... you can't eat bullets man. Bullets are for protecting your family and food supply.

12. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I reload and yes, I'll buy any components which are for popular calibers if the components are hard to find. Then I trade when possible. I recently did a primer trade with a member here.

There are also a couple of guns I want in the future and I have enough components to load lots of ammo for them.

I will also buy hard to find ammo if I see it on the shelf. I recently bought ten boxes of .380 and immediately called a couple of friends and sold all of it to them for what I paid.

13. CaughtSteelin

CaughtSteelin Oregon Member

I would sometimes buy small quantity's for my friends guns if I was going to shoot them. But that's about it, never buy for anticipation of owning that certain caliber.

14. jakk586

jakk586 Astoria, Or Active Member

i do it with 222rem, and 44mag. those are my next two planned purchases.

15. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Yea I did with .223

Also the third choice "This poll is stupid and I's more dumber fer readin it" not quite sure about this on lol

16. 86-0134

86-0134 north willamette valley Member

I was just being sarcastic, hence the "Johnny Apocalypse" reference. however I actually plagerized someone, (an ammo hoarder) at fishermans marine say he was planning on bartering with ammo when the world economy collapses. numbskulls like him only fuel the ammo shortage.

17. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I have at least 10,000 rounds of assorted ammo for guns I don't own or no longer own.

18. Searcher451

Searcher451 Oregon Member

These days I'm doggone fortunate to find what I'm looking for to load and then shoot the guns I currently own, especially when .380 ACP often tops my list. So no, I don't go fishing for trout in a walleye pond as a general rule.

Speaking of .380, Jack at Dan-Dee Sales in Sweet Home has a good price on some 100-round boxes of Winchester WB at the moment. :)

19. A2theK

A2theK Olympia Member

Heck yeah\

I bought 10k of 5.45 before I had the rifle

..and 7.62x25

Once you understand supply and demand it's a no brainer.

I've already said too much...

20. Weathermaker

Weathermaker Washington Member

You bet. I'm buying all the 45/70 I can find. :rofl1: