JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As I recall, the speed limits in the autobahn auto-adjust based on congestion, as opposed to the arbitrarily set, static limits that we have.

Perhaps the real distinguishing point of Germany's system is that they are honest enough not to use their roads as a money-making scheme then have the audacity to lie and say that it's for motorist safety.

Also, 50mph on any part of 26 is pure insanity unless you drive a Yugo or Geo Metro. And speaking of 26, if road safety were the goal, why do I see cops camped out on 26 at midnight when the road is completely empty? Do they think I'll slam into the concrete divider because I'm going 20 over (i.e. 75mph, or a barely adequate speed)?

It varies. Some places have digital limit signs, some have regular static signs.

I understand that's one of your sensitive issues, but it's not possible that Germans are the only honest people in Europe :) You should look for the answers some place else. How about superior freeway system ? ;)

I've got an SUV, it's not as stable on steep turns as some lower vehicles. As for the cops, perhaps you should ask them when they're writing you a ticket :D

It varies. Some places have digital limit signs, some have regular static signs.I understand that's one of your sensitive issues, but it's not possible that Germans are the only honest people in Europe :) You should look for the answers some place else. How about superior freeway system ? ;)I've got an SUV, it's not as stable on steep turns as some lower vehicles. As for the cops, perhaps you should ask them when they're writing you a ticket :D

I honed in on road rules because it is one that everyone is familiar with. I could have talked about the absurd gun laws we suffer under, which would have been more forum relevant, but that wouldn't have been much of a debate because anyone with two brain cells can see that our gun laws are bizarre, unconstitutional and rooted in racism, and government goons that prey on upstanding gun owners are the American gestapo and if they had any humanity left they'd quit their "jobs" immediately. Hope that was clear enough.

And if only the cops could actually explain the morality of the law they enforce this country wouldn't be in such desperate straits.You really should read Bastiat's polemic on the the law, he got it right 150 years ago and things have turned out as he predicted: Amazon.com: The Law (9781612930121): Frederic Bastiat: Books

I love this.
I drive 60 on the hi-ways. I am in no hurry. I drive in the #3 lane of 4 lane roads. fell free to pass me.
For some odd reason when on a 2 way road and going the speed limit horns behind me cause my brakes to go on.
Feel free to drive the speed you want and let me drive the speed i want. We will both get there but i will mostly likely be first.

I love this.
I drive 60 on the hi-ways. I am in no hurry. I drive in the #3 lane of 4 lane roads. fell free to pass me.
For some odd reason when on a 2 way road and going the speed limit horns behind me cause my brakes to go on.
Feel free to drive the speed you want and let me drive the speed i want. We will both get there but i will mostly likely be first.

I like what MarkAd said..........

Laws, the Laws, there are so many laws even the police don't always know what the laws are!..Laws change when you drive from one county to the next, or from one state to the next state, Who can keep track?
I probably break some type of rule every time i get out of bed, I try to live by a few personal rules. like treat people the way I would want to be treated, don't steal, or drink and drive, Try to be courteous to people you meet.Be kind to your neighbors, they are the only home defense you have when you are away from home. Love your friends and family, cause when its all said and done, your friends and family are your only true possessions that really matter.

Laws, the Laws, there are so many laws even the police don't always know what the laws are!..Laws change when you drive from one county to the next, or from one state to the next state, Who can keep track?

That's a different problem though. Legally ignorance is not an excuse, but we're talking morality in a way. No moral issue with breaking a law if you don't know it exists :)

dmancornell...I am not a troll. That was intended to be sarcastic. As far as stupid? Who am I to judge? We're all brilliant, in our own minds.

I will concede, there are probobaly more unjust and useless laws, than not.

Your first post referred to an ''obligation to ignore'' etc, etc...

If the laws bother you so bad, you've got 3 choices; conform to them, change them, leave. Anything short of that is hypocritical.
Except of course REVOLUTION! Which quite often turns out no better, than that to which revolt was intended.

If it's that bad, go to some third world rat-hole. You know an equal-opportunity country? Where you've got equal odds of being robbed and killed by the police, military, or regular criminals.
While you're there, enjoy the fine roads and healthcare and emergency services and civil liberties and etc...
You're, do as I please attitude, should fit right in.

I do drive in the right lane. If the speed limit were 80mph, I'd be, doing 80, in the right lane. With people flying by on the left.
If I'm on a two lane road? I won't speed to facilitate someone else's wishes. I do pull out of the way, when safe, though.

I see stupid kids that think a resonator and spoiler make them race car drivers. I see soccer moms texting and weaving. I see people that don't see me, all 70' & 80,000#. I see horrific traffic accidents. I see fatalaties, often. I can't imagine these morons driving faster?

^

You forgot a 4th choice, treat bad laws with the contempt they deserve and deal with the consequences. Hell, maybe if enough people do it the laws might get dropped. Of course, the government's natural reaction to this would be to use violence and imprisonment to force their way. Land of the free!

Also LOL at the Somalia argument against libertarianism again, it's so pathetic it does not even warrant a response.

I don't speed because I'm not interested in having my wallet lightened by the cops, or worse- the freaking insurance industry...I love to drive fast. I love riding my motorcycle fast- I just can't afford it so I rarely exceed 5mph over the posted limit. I just wish the concept of "slower traffic keep right" wasn't so difficult for people to grasp. I can't tell you how often I drive 70mph on the freeway in the right lane,passing all the jerkoffs clogging up the left 2 without ever having to touch my cruise control...

I don't speed because I'm not interested in having my wallet lightened by the cops, or worse- the freaking insurance industry...I love to drive fast. I love riding my motorcycle fast- I just can't afford it so I rarely exceed 5mph over the posted limit. I just wish the concept of "slower traffic keep right" wasn't so difficult for people to grasp. I can't tell you how often I drive 70mph on the freeway in the right lane,passing all the jerkoffs clogging up the left 2 without ever having to touch my cruise control...

It's not so much the initial ticket but the couple hundred a year for the next few years that deters me. I like driving faster than OR allows which is why I like driving in other states. 75-80 MPH freeways are nice. People in OR do enjoy the left lane especially when they're driving the speed limit or under.

^ exactly- if it was just the ticket, I know I'd speed more, but when you factor in a couple thousand over the next 3 years in increased insurance premiums it just isn't worth it

So kindly get out of my way. Anyone who obeys the speed limit should stay home until they grow a pair and develop some minimal brain function.
I don't have a problem with people driving faster than the posted limits and I'll stay out of your way, minus the occasional passing of a truck. But I do drive the speed limit. I give myself time to get to places so that I'm not in a hurry. So next time you pass me, Honk a few times and I'll show you my pair!

I don't have a problem with people driving faster than the posted limits and I'll stay out of your way, minus the occasional passing of a truck. But I do drive the speed limit. I give myself time to get to places so that I'm not in a hurry. So next time you pass me, Honk a few times and I'll show you my pair!

I'd ask you to explain why you think the speed limit keeps you safe, but this thread has gone on long enough and I already made my points.

dmancornell...how's that 4th option working out for you? We can all talk the talk, I walk by my convictions. Do you? Or do you skulk about? It's easy to proclaim feats of staunch rebellion on a forum. The anonimity of the internet makes many a meek mouse out to be a lion.
I live by my standards, as presented.

I've never heard the term ''Somolia arguement.'' I lean more towards libertarianism than any other 'ism.
I just feel we live in a society of law. If we disagree with the law we can; get over it, change it, or go somewhere we feel is better. Whining about how it's not fair, does not give us exemption. That's a childish response. What has been accomplished?
In the mean time be decent, be civil.

I can relate to civil disobedience due to moral, ethical, or religious issues. But, for the sake of convenience or some vague proclomation of overall disgruntlement? No. If it bothers you that much, what are you doing to change it?

Working out pretty well actually. I speed habitually and I haven't gotten a ticket in years, because I know where the taxfeeders hide. Thanks for asking.

And on the contrary, I consider meekly abiding by horrible laws to be the truly childish response, because it is abject submission to usurped authority. If that's your standard, then so be it. I defy authority as I see fit and accept the consequences (i.e. a rash of tickets in previous years, increased insurance, whatever).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top