JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recently installed a hard to find ported barrel in my G23. I like it because it brought the pistol down a notch. it's much better with regards to the .40 cal snap, and I also dig the way it looks.
4AC5E1E2-9A46-48F0-9009-37D423CCB682.jpeg

I only, vaguely, recall running a ported barrel on a handgun once. I don't recall the recoil mitigation, but it turned a Glock into a complete jam-o-matic, so it was dumped. I have Pro-ported (Mag-na-port's shotgun service) and have been, generally, pleased. One of those two guns is long gone, but on the one we kept, it is noticeable, at least with respect to muzzle rise.

I only, vaguely, recall running a ported barrel on a handgun once. I don't recall the recoil mitigation, but it turned a Glock into a complete jam-o-matic, so it was dumped. I have Pro-ported (Mag-na-port's shotgun service) and have been, generally, pleased. One of those two guns is long gone, but on the one we kept, it is noticeable, at least with respect to muzzle rise.
When I shot my ported barrel, I used blazer Blazer 180 gr .40 cal. FMJ and I kept having feeding issues. The round that should have gotten loaded next was nosed down in the mag. It felt as if the slide wasn't fully cycling (going all the way back). I believe the rounds were weak and under powered. So I decided to run about ten Hornady critical defense 165 gr. FTX rounds and my Glock 23 (gen3) cycled with out any issues.

With regards to muzzle velocities and comps, the bullet has already reached its max velocity by the time the bullet passes the compensator. As others have stated, you get more suppression of muzzle flip with hotter loads, but specifically you get more benefit from loads that produce a lot of gas. Typically, this is going to be loads that use more powder, so you can custom tailor it to your gun.
One other benefit with comps for competition .22lr guns is exactly the thing people complain about with larger calibers: It directs a lot of the sound up and to the side. For quiet .22's that shot timers struggle to pick up, this is a feature, not a bug!

Lastly, I wonder if anyone has experimented with flash suppressed powders for comps? Just an idle notion, to be honest I don't think I'd want a comp on a carry gun, but it might help for those that want one. To me, the effects of adrenaline even at a match level make shooting even a fairly stiff recoiling pistol something you don't really notice at the time. If you're fighting for your life, I doubt the recoil is going to be a huge concern, other than getting the muzzle back on target as fast as possible.

I was reading about the new SIG P320 Spectre comp pistol, 9mm... the claim is the compensator reduces recoil by 30%.
I dont believe it.
Comps are nothing new but my observation they are born out of the custom race gun scene where any small reduction of recoil is appreciated. But on a practical self defense gun? 30% seems like a lot of difference is this possible, let alone needed for 9mm?

View attachment 1146118
Pistol comps appear to be simply the evolution of ported barrels. If ported barrels work, pistol comps have to work as well. How necessary they are would depend on a lot of factors.

Sage Dynamics and 10-8 Performance, among others, have done some lengthy reviews and discussions of comps. Some actually reduce perceived flash, in addition to flip and recoil.

With recoil/blowback operated guns, as you reduce recoil you also reduce reliability with weak ammo. So weak range 9mm may have trouble cycling. So if you want to shoot range ammo in your Roland Special, you may need to have a separate weaker recoil spring for range ammo.

Craig Douglas also demonstrated that certain comps with certain ammo can produce some bullet spall, which can be an issue when shooting from retention, like pectoral index, and getting bullet fragments to your chin (or eyes).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top