JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Check this out - Tandemkross actually ran a muzzle flip experiment of their comp on a ruger:

The experiment starts about halfway through.

I thought the comp's job on pistols was to reduce muzzle flip, and a recoil reduction would just be a bonus.

Anyway - if the design overall can yield some benefit out of the .22LR, then I have no doubt it'd have benefit for all calibers.

That being said, 30% seems like a stretch. In the video above, you can see how they calc'ed the numbers and how they compare; I want to see Sig's experiment and how they got their numbers.
PMMC has done some good work showing the effectiveness of their own pistol comps, if you'd like to see data more specific to handguns.

I thought the comp's job on pistols was to reduce muzzle flip, and a recoil reduction would just be a bonus.
I have that exact same Ruger pistol... I wonder if that comp would be any advantage for speed steel shooters or dueling tree.

I had a G19c. It does reduce muzzle flip, however don't carry it at night as the rabbit ear flames it shoots out will destroy your night vision.

G19c flames.jpg

Check this out - Tandemkross actually ran a muzzle flip experiment of their comp on a ruger:

Anyway - if the design overall can yield some benefit out of the .22LR, then I have no doubt it'd have benefit for all calibers.

That being said, 30% seems like a stretch. In the video above, you can see how they calc'ed the numbers and how they compare; I want to see Sig's experiment and how they got their numbers.
this is pretty compelling evidence they work....
I might be slowly becoming a believer....

This is the other part of the subject Ive been wondering about...
So do the benefits of reduced muzzle flip outweight the negatives of low light shooting?
Other than the added length the flash is the reason I wouldn't run it on a carry gun. But I'd run it on another build though.

Other than the added length the flash is the reason I wouldn't run it on a carry gun. But I'd run it on another build though.
that makes sense but then these are being marketed on carry guns now, like the Sig. But then, they make them cause the will sell them... people want what looks cool, and they do.

that makes sense but then these are being marketed on carry guns now, like the Sig. But then, they make them cause the will sell them... people want what looks cool, and they do.
Gucci stuff sells to the masses. Sig is really good at marketing. I'll give them that.

I have a Parker Mountain Machine comp on a Glock 45- works very well, even with factory 115-grain ball ammo. I put one of their JTTC comps on a 43X, it also makes a noticeable difference in muzzle flip.

I sent to Magnaport in Main a 45-70 revolver with a 10" barrel. It came back with a removable compensator and cover nut. It reduced the recoil of the 405 gr nearly 30% and 300 gr lead maybe 50% (felt recoil for the persnickety) I Cannot speak highly enough of it's quality and the effectiveness on that revolver. Though due to my large hands, and the weight of the gun, it did not cause me any grief to shoot it without compensator. it lost the front sight for treading, but at the time it sported a Leupold 2X EER, years later, a Fastfire 2 redot, making the front sight moot.
Down side; the noise increase is about the same as the recoil percentage saved for yourself and anyone near. While hunting, I removed it due to my unreliable use of hearing protection, but where target shooting, without near shooters, doubling up on the ear plugs solved the loud and increased practice time. No experience on any other pistol

do comps or barrel porting reduce muzzle velocity?
My Magnaport did not show any change using an optical and later magnetic chronograph. Of note might be I usually could have a hand load speed fluctuation from a 1300fps load of up to 60fps making any small change, hard to see..

As I understand it, porting *might* reduce velocity a insignificant amount because it takes gas out of the barrel where a comp will almost certainly not reduce velocity because it is after the barrel, and it *might* result in a slight increase resulting from the longer threaded barrel required for the comp

good to know, I imagine then the porting or comp doesnt affect velocity in any practical amount....

I've always wondered a few things.....

Is it the holes in the barrel that helps reduce the recoil,

Or.....

Is it because with holes in the barrel the pressure in the length of the barrel is reduced because the pressure escapes before the bullet leaves the end of the barrel. Which in turn reduces the velocity of the bullet.

Or can they claim it reduces recoil because of a combination?

(I hope that makes sense)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top