JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was reading about the new SIG P320 Spectre comp pistol, 9mm... the claim is the compensator reduces recoil by 30%.
I dont believe it.
Comps are nothing new but my observation they are born out of the custom race gun scene where any small reduction of recoil is appreciated. But on a practical self defense gun? 30% seems like a lot of difference is this possible, let alone needed for 9mm?

1646459868854.png

I've ran a few of them. To me it's more of a Gucci Instagram thing. Radian just released a comp for Glocks and they claim it reduces 44% recoil. Like you I am hesitant to believe it.

To me it's more of a Gucci Instagram thing.
I do think they look pretty cool. I like the Radian design, seems to use a V port I wonder if that reduces the flash in low light.
Im still skeptical on how much they reduce recoil but if they work that would be really cool....

I do think they look pretty cool. I like the Radian design, seems to use a V port I wonder if that reduces the flash in low light.
Im still skeptical on how much they reduce recoil but if they work that would be really cool....
9mm doesn't recoil much as is. And adding a half inch to an inch to the end of my gun seems pointless in regards to a carry gun. As far as a range gun or comp gun I think it could be cool. The ones I tried didn't seem to benefit that much as far as recoil management. I think proper grip does a whole lot more than a compensator.

I shot someone's SW500 that had a short barrel with porting, the recoil was almost non existent. Once you get into the micro carries, the shooting pleasure decreases. I had a SW642 for a spell, and 38+P was downright miserable. I could see porting/comp helping those micro guns in the shootability category.

Last Edited:
I shot someone's SW500 that had a short barrel with porting, the recoil was almost non existent. Once you get into the micro carries, the shooting pleasure decreasea. I had a SW642 for a spell, and 38+P was downright miserable. I could see porting/comp helping those micro guns in the shootability category.
I think for those monsters like the 500 you kinda need one on a 22 not so much ! I have a 338 wm with a 20in barrel and weighs 6lbs don't need no stinking compensator lets you know you are alive !

I think for those monsters like the 500 you kinda need one on a 22 not so much ! I have a 338 wm with a 20in barrel and weighs 6lbs don't need no stinking compensator lets you know you are alive !
True, I'm an electrical guy, not mechanical/fluids, but with my limited knowledge of thermodynamics and physics, I would assume that a hole that has the same ratio would yield similar results in a smaller caliber. Even though a 22lr doesn't need one, people use them anyways, that if it were sized with the same ratios, would reduce recoil by a similar percentage. That said, my assumption is based on percentages, and obviously a smaller recoiling caliber may not be as noticable with the same percent reduction.

True, I'm an electrical guy, not mechanical/fluids, but with my limited knowledge of thermodynamics and physics, I would assume that a hole that has the same ratio would yield similar results in a smaller caliber. Even though a 22lr doesn't need one, people use them anyways, that if it were sized with the same ratios, would reduce recoil by a similar percentage. That said, my assumption is based on percentages, and obviously a smaller recoiling caliber may not be as noticable with the same percent reduction.
You said it brother !
1646497233400.png

30% reduction isn't hard on a rifle with a brake, so I'm going to assume it's perfectly doable for a pistol, too. A fairly large portion may be due to the increased mass up front.

Think about it this way, do you care about a 30% reduction on price for buying one round of ammo? When you're only talking a difference of $0.30, it's not so much. But when you're talking a 30% reduction on a case, it's still the same percentage, but the difference is more noticable.

I've had a number of handguns, both semis and revolvers, with some kind of porting/comp - from just ports (just small holes), to a hybrid port (Schuemann - large holes almost the length of the barrel varying in size), to a full on comp.

IME, the ones I have used, they work and work well. Whether a port or hybrid or comp.

I had two Glock 21s, one was bone stock, the other had a Schuemann type barrel. Anyone shooting them back to back could tell the difference. I had a Taurus Ti Tracker with ports and it was a pussycat to shoot. I have a 460V with a large comp on the end of the barrel - I've not shot it without the comp, but it is easy to shoot. And so on.

YMMV but I found they made a significant difference in muzzle flip and recoil.

I've had a number of handguns, both semis and revolvers, with some kind of porting/comp - from just ports (just small holes), to a hybrid port (Schuemann - large holes almost the length of the barrel varying in size), to a full on comp.

IME, the ones I have used, they work and work well. Whether a port or hybrid or comp.

I had two Glock 21s, one was bone stock, the other had a Schuemann type barrel. Anyone shooting them back to back could tell the difference. I had a Taurus Ti Tracker with ports and it was a pussycat to shoot. I have a 460V with a large comp on the end of the barrel - I've not shot it without the comp, but it is easy to shoot. And so on.

YMMV but I found they made a significant difference in muzzle flip and recoil.
You reminded me that I have a Glock 22C and the ported barrel really does tame the recoil. I might need to break it out again, soon.

So it sounds like some here do agree comps work?
Id be interested in adding a comp like the Radian but am still skeptical.

Taurus Total Titanium Model 415 2.5" snub nose revolver in .41 Magnum. If you want an example of just how well a properly designed comp, or barrel porting in this case, can work, find someone who has one and ask to shoot it.

I had one. It was absolutely bizarre.

No. Muzzle. Rise. At all. From a revolver that only weighed 20.8 ounces. It didn't seem right.

I don't know how well the other calibers available (.38/.357, .44 spl, .45 Colt) in the "Total Ti" line worked, but Taurus got the .41 magnum combo perfect.

I wish I'd never sold mine.

1646569702747.png
1646569898182.png

I had a 14" barreled Contender in 7-30 Waters uncomped. Traded it for the same with a compensator on it. Oh yeah! Big difference!
I had a JSK compensator on both my Thompson Contender in .45-70 Govt and Remington XP-100 in 7mm BR - all they did was spread the misery out sideways. Both were utterly horrendous to be near.

It's scientific fact that comps/ports work but their effectiveness relies 100% on the powder being used/gas created. Factory ammo is generally not optimal for comps.

I was reading about the new SIG P320 Spectre comp pistol, 9mm... the claim is the compensator reduces recoil by 30%.
I dont believe it.
Comps are nothing new but my observation they are born out of the custom race gun scene where any small reduction of recoil is appreciated. But on a practical self defense gun? 30% seems like a lot of difference is this possible, let alone needed for 9mm?

View attachment 1146118
Competition pistol....

Compensators are not allowed in IDPA, but for use in USPSA it would be all about the muzzle flip ie getting back on target for fast double taps like the Open class .38Supers that were used. You look at slo mo of the slide and it just stays right on target and barely moves. Some shooters with strong hands/wrists can do that naturally, not me... I've got old/weak granny hands.

Check this out - Tandemkross actually ran a muzzle flip experiment of their comp on a ruger:

The experiment starts about halfway through.

I thought the comp's job on pistols was to reduce muzzle flip, and a recoil reduction would just be a bonus.

Anyway - if the design overall can yield some benefit out of the .22LR, then I have no doubt it'd have benefit for all calibers.

That being said, 30% seems like a stretch. In the video above, you can see how they calc'ed the numbers and how they compare; I want to see Sig's experiment and how they got their numbers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top