JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
DO NOT USE the new gasoline E15

Another total screw up by our government

From Fox News, A Must See Video before you damage your automobile / new fuel type! Please forward 2 yur friends!
New gas coming to your gas station; PAY ATTENTION -- don't use it!!!!!!

This is a scary one if you have a car older than 2012.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ AND DO NOT DELETE!!!

If you like your car, please watch this short video. It's the real deal!

For what it is worth, I think we all should pay attention to this.

I'm not sure how the EPA could okay something like this (well, OK -- with this administration, absolutely nothing surprises me!!!)

Watch video about E15 gasoline if you have a car older than 2012

[1]

DON'T KEEP THIS - SEND IT OUT TO YOUR LIST. Let's circulate this to as my folks as possible!

No offense, but the fuel has been available in some states for quite a few years and flex fuel vehicles have been around for quite some time.

I'm sure that it's just a matter of people knowing that they shouldn't use it in normal vehicles. I've tried it in several rented Chevy flex fuel cars and the mileage with it sucks.

Modern engines don't have a problem with the current ethanol blend. Many older engines had components that weren't alcohol resistant and it did indeed cause problems. Most notably in fuel lines, pumps, and carburetor components. And older engines don't have the valve train and timing controls that are on the newer engines. So yes, the lower octane and high alcohol content of E85 can certainly damage engines and fuel line components in vehicles not designed for it.

I would hope that there is an education campaign in new areas where this federally subsided agricultural product will be released.

Now, if the current administration would be as helpful to oil producers in our continent, as they are to others, middle east oil may not be as large an import commodity for us as it is now. Can you say KEYSTONE!

E15 and E85 or two very different fuels. E15 only has 5% more alcohol then std. Regular gas in Oregon.

I managed a gas station for McCall Oil co. In 1980 that sold Gasahol a mixture of premium and 10% Ethanol. People got very good results in cars as old as my 67 Chevelle with a 375+hp 327 and my 1970 Opal Kadet Wagon

I ran my 66 Ford F-250 with a 390 on std 10% Ethanol ran like a stock car on the track.

"Fox "News" Meh."

Only a fool would shoot the messenger.
The warning is from the AAA, and several very credible Auto makers... simply reported on by Fox news. Ignore it if you want.
But when it comes to cars I'll follow caution, and the AAA, over the EPA any day...

There was NO early warning about the effects of 10% ethanol and the result was the destruction of many thousands of boat engines, outboards, motorcycles, snowmobiles and small gas powered equipment like chainsaws and lawnmowers. The cost to consumers was huge. Now that that particular egg has gone through the snake, they're at it again...

While I'm not really sure this rises to the level of hysteria, this is definitely not a good thing...
FYI, ethanol has a higher octane than gasoline, meaning it will burn better in high compression engines. However for those of us driving older vehicles, it really does nothing but cause rot in the exhaust system. For most of us, who have had to deal with mandated E10 fuel, and replace most of the rubber in the existing fuel system (I know I have).

Given the environmental calamity that ethanol blending has become, it seems odd to me that the government wants to double down on it. Interestingly EPA is lowering the ethanol requirement for blended gasoline, so I'm not really sure why there is going to be a push for selling a higher ethanol blend?

Not saying I like E gas as I know for a fact I get poor fuel mileage with it but....
0 issues in my carb 84 Toyota
0 issues in my johndeer mower
0 issues in my 92 mercury 200 hp jet ob
0 issues with my 1989 30 hp jet outboard
0 issues with my 08 90hp mercury optimax
1 issue with my 1986 Yamaha snowmobile.... sat with e0 fuel in the carb for 3 years, now won't run.....

knocking on wood

Ethanol fuels have caused quite a debate over the years. A few search terms you might want to use are "Brazil", "ethanol", "fuel" for more information. Me? I'm still on the fence after looking into this.

Mike

Do any if you ever read? It's a proven fact that ethanol sucks on lines, and jets, and everything else. It's also a proven fact that it's worse on the environment to produce ethanol. Seems living in the NW has even messed up the minds of a few hard core NWFA members. Lol

As AMP mentioned, E85 has a pretty high octane rating, something like 115. But because it contains so much alcohol (ethanol) the vehicle need more of it in proportion to the amount of air it inhales to keep the fuel to air ratio proper. If you don't have a flex-fuel vehicle then the 15% is pretty much past the line of what's acceptable.
I have a friend who runs his race car on E85. He had to increase the size of all of the fuel passages by 50% to keep it jetted correctly. Also, the heavy amount of alcohol makes the car run cooler. So, you can see that the mileage in a street driven vehicle would suffer. Works very well in the racing environment, but even he says they should stop making it. It really has no good purpose on the street and it's just one of the reasons that the price of corn has risen.
Yeah, avoid E15 if at all possible.

Can you say KEYSTONE!

Oil products from keystone will go on the world market.

US is exporting gasoline now because we make more than we need. With more oil refined into gas, those exports will increase.

I'm not clear what difference it makes whether the oil comes from the Saudis or the Canadians. It's a finite resource and the byproducts of its use is damaging the one good planet we have to live on.

Time to stop trying to solve a problem using the same faulty thinking that caused the problem in the first place. More heroin does not solve a heroin addiction. ;)

Do any if you ever read? It's a proven fact that ethanol sucks on lines, and jets, and everything else. It's also a proven fact that it's worse on the environment to produce ethanol. Seems living in the NW has even messed up the minds of a few hard core NWFA members. Lol

As I pointed out in my earlier post, most of us who have been dealing with ethanol blended fuels for a while, rotted lines have already been replaced with the newer rubbers that tolerate it. This is not a defense of using it, it's been a failed policy almost from implementation. The biggest issue with 15% blend, is that it's not useful, conventional gasoline engines will run like utter crap on it, it seems 15% blend is being offered, it's not being mandated anywhere. I have no problem with the market deciding what it wants, will I be using it? oh god no. Do I care if my neighbor puts it in his prius? Not one bit. I'm going to laugh at him whenever some environmental consideration takes precedence over good sense.

Oil products from keystone will go on the world market.

US is exporting gasoline now because we make more than we need. With more oil refined into gas, those exports will increase.

I'm not clear what difference it makes whether the oil comes from the Saudis or the Canadians. It's a finite resource and the byproducts of its use is damaging the one good planet we have to live on.

Time to stop trying to solve a problem using the same faulty thinking that caused the problem in the first place. More heroin does not solve a heroin addiction. ;)

Interestingly, buying oil from canada already counts as "buying on the world market" last I checked, and as you point out, all more domestic oil does is displace it's purchase from elsewhere. On the other hand, the transport costs are lower, both in emissions, and dollars.

The thing is, as you point out, more heroin doesn't solve heroin addiction, however heroin does a lot to ameliorate pain in cases of injury or illness. In the case of gasoline, it's a portable, high energy liquid fuel, it has an expansive and well developed distribution infrastructure. For a motor fuel, it is certainly the cheapest, and most versatile form of energy we've come up with as of yet. Will biofuels come in eventually? Probably, but most of those are still on the sketchpad, they arn't even on the drawing board yet. It seems to me that using nuclear as a source to run the chemical factories that would make a suitable replacement would be a fantastic way to go, however even suggesting nuclear is treated with a level of scorn normally reserved for unapologetic racists, and people who insist the world is no more than 6000 years old.

The secret to making a profit in refining these days is for refiners to source crude oil domestically and then sell the refined products to US consumers at prices based on imported oil. Valero can't do that, but Marathon, Tesoro, and HollyFrontier can. ...

Despite higher-than-expected oil inventories and less driving by Americans, the <broken link removed> .

Someone asked about reading: Check out alcoholcanbeagas.com
BTW, alot of disparaging info is in circulation about it. Ever wonder about a major source?
Try BIG OIL
They don't like it either, follow the money.

As I understand it, all that alcohol was somewhat useful when many of our cars were carbureted. Now that the vast majority of vehicles are injected, and the engines are constantly monitored by computers, it makes alcohol a moot point. Except for the people that are subsidized to grow and produce it! And to ALL the people that have to pay higher prices for MANY products, like FOOD, thanks to the US deciding it's a good idea to put food grade alcohol in our tanks.

Someone asked about reading: Check out alcoholcanbeagas.com
BTW, alot of disparaging info is in circulation about it. Ever wonder about a major source?
Try BIG OIL
They don't like it either, follow the money.
Possibly. But I will also predict the oil industry also has bought millions of acres of corn farm ground. "Corporate farms".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top