JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last Edited:
Objectively Reasonable Fear.

The bedrock of all self defense cases.
And now the times have changed.
The rules have changed dramatically.
Be hard to find anyone not fearful for their lives in the face of everything one sees on tv now.

So... that's a plus! :)

Better hope for a jury of gun owners (or at least some gun owners).

Instead the usual Portlandia types.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Better hope for a jury of gun owners.

Instead the usual Portlandia types.

Aloha, Mark
Never request a jury trial for self defense case!!!

EDIT: MY OPINION. ADVICE I FOLLOWED. DO NOT TAKE MY COUNCIL ON ANYTHING. I AM NOT A LAWYER - JUST SOME GUY WITH AN OPINION AND A FLAIR FOR COLORFUL HYPERBOLE AND OVER GENERALIZATION.

jeez.

Last Edited:
huh?

Kermit.jpg

Oh.....

BUT, IF I remember it correctly (mind you that I never sat in on his case).....

*Andy NGO case......
*NGO said that he was being accosted, pushed around, vile words yelled/spoken about his presence, grabbed and shoved, etc.. by a group of "________ Protesters." YES, while filming at a Portland, OR gathering of _________.

Not against the law (mind you).

He ended up pulling a gun (didn't shoot) and told the group more or less to, "back off." He claims that it was a case of self defense. Also noted past attacks, injuries and the theft/robbery of his property by similar techniques.

Anyway......
It went to trial and the Judge convicted him. No jury, just the Judge.

Yup.....maybe.....it might have ended differently? Maybe not? You never know with a jury.

Aloha, Mark

PS....sorry I got the wrong name. Thank you awshoot see Post #61

*Michael Strickland, is the correct name.

Last Edited:
How about a cocked arm holding a Molitov about to head your direction....

asking for a friend.
ORS 161.225 (2)(b):

ORS 161.225¹

Use of physical force in defense of premises

(1)A person in lawful possession or control of premises is justified in using physical force upon another person when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes it necessary to prevent or terminate what the person reasonably believes to be the commission or attempted commission of a criminal trespass by the other person in or upon the premises.
(2)A person may use deadly physical force under the circumstances set forth in subsection (1) of this section only:
(a)In defense of a person as provided in ORS 161.219 (Limitations on use of deadly physical force in defense of a person); or
(b)When the person reasonably believes it necessary to prevent the commission of arson or a felony by force and violence by the trespasser.
(3)As used in subsection (1) and subsection (2)(a) of this section, "premises" includes any building as defined in ORS 164.205 (Definitions for ORS 164.205 to 164.270) and any real property. As used in subsection (2)(b) of this section, "premises" includes any building. [1971 c.743 §25]

Bold added by me. :)

Around here if they show up at all it will be long, long after everything is all over. Not knocking the individual cops at all, they have an impossible job. It's the politicians that pass directives which everyone knows they won't enforce and they completely neuter the police so they can't do their job.

We have to live in the reality as it actually is, not some idealized version where there are tons of cops ready to quickly take care of any problem. That's just not reality unfortunately. By all means call the cops for help. But do so with a gun in your other hand and be ready if god forbid u need to use it.

I too am a fan of Massad Ayoob. But I doubt that I would let a judge decide my fate, unless it was plea bargain.
A good lawyer is worth their weight in gold.
Mine was familiar with all the potential judges in the rotation I may have appeared before.
My case was also cut and dried.
This was 22 years ago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews