JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Obvious for most, if not all of you? Probably. For me? I was too trusting.

Long story short, I replied to an Armslist ad (have never had any trouble in the past) and was met with a responsive, attentive and knowledgeable person on the other end that offered to ship the part (Law Tactical folder) for a few bucks because it is small and they are local and I am busy as hell all the time. They asked to be paid by Google Pay and I paid them via Google Pay.

Well, needless to say, it was a scam. It STILL IS as scam as the ad is still up on Armslist (Search: "Law Tactical", look for a post located in Bellevue, has a black and white picture).

Google also considers any firearm related item a WEAPON and will not cover the transaction. So I am out nearly $200 and the individual seemingly got away with it.

Just had to vent as I am furious with myself. Please learn from my blatant stupidity - don't trust anyone!

Unfortunately PayPal is no better. Gun related stuff is treated identically.

Only way to try and fix it is through your bank. Take the information you have to the branch and sit down with a rep. They usually clear it up.

I did this once for a significant amount of money through PayPal. PayPal said I was in the wrong and refused to fix it. I went to my bank. They reversed the charges. PayPal locked my account. Haven't used them since.

Now I only use Apple Pay. As it's all I can. Thankfully I have good feedback too, so if you are buying something from me and I request payment via Apple, at least there is that.

In the case of the original post, even a money order wouldn't have saved the situation. Scammers get away with a lot because lack of enforcement on smaller online $ amounts.

Best of luck and I hope at least your bank clears it up.

Appreciate it guys, I really feel dumb right now.

Only way to try and fix it is through your bank. Take the information you have to the branch and sit down with a rep. They usually clear it up.
I didn't think of going to my bank, thank you! My brain is failing me this week and I appreciate the help.

I haven't had any trouble with pp. I specifically pay for ammo, nra, ila, Trump, anything and everything with pp. Never a peep from them. Are you saying they blocked a firearm related purchase from a website ?
What people are warning is if you have a problem. If you buy something and pay with PayPal that they make clear they don't want to be used for, and the seller does not send the item? That is where the fun starts. If you have to tell them (PayPal) you were trying to buy something against their terms, they may well tell you tough. Now even PayPal, if you used a credit card to fund it you can force PayPal to return the money. Now if you do they (PayPal) may well cancel your account.

Where on their website do they say no ammo sales, gun sales, etc? I've never seen that. Like I said, "ammoman" goes through like clockwork. I get the part about "purchase protection".
There is some blurb in their TOS (Terms of Service) that you agree to when you use them. Too lazy to look it up so can't remember what exactly it is they don't want to be used for. Again ALL, payment with PayPal if you do not fund it with a Credit Card is an added risk. PayPal is not a bank. They are not under the same regulations as a bank. The problem, AGAIN, is NOT, the payment not getting through. You can have 100 transactions go smooth. Where the fun can come up is if there is a problem. Package gets lost, seller is a scam, ect. Now is when you as the buyer need to make yourself whole again. If you choose to pay with PayPal they Are NOT, a bank, they are NOT, a credit card. It is up to them to make you whole again. If they refuse it is then up to you to fight it. It is amazing to me how often people want to love PayPal to the point they will not hear anything said. I use PayPal for a few things, like supporting this site. The payments are coming from a credit card for me though. I do not give PayPal access to my bank accounts. Many do, and love to keep doing it. Which is fine. Until there is a problem.

Some sellers (even on NWFA forum) ask for buyer to pay with PayPal Friends and Family, you had better be pretty sure you won't need to contact Pay Pal for a refund because that would be a double no no regarding their policies.

Scams are everywhere and even on our best days can lure us in. Sorry for your financial loss and thank you for the warning.

Some sellers (even on NWFA forum) ask for buyer to pay with PayPal Friends and Family, you had better be pretty sure you won't need to contact Pay Pal for a refund because that would be a double no no regarding their policies.

Scams are everywhere and even on our best days can lure us in. Sorry for your financial loss and thank you for the warning.
I always decline to do that and just add the fee to my payment.

Sorry this happened.

If on Armslist I do FTF only.
If on Gunbroker I do CC only.
No USPO money orders to strangers.

The CC companies will step in and go to bat for you should you be faced with a bad transaction.
Use a CC for online sales every chance you get.

Sorry this happened.

If on Armslist I do FTF only.
If on Gunbroker I do CC only.
No USPO money orders to strangers.

The CC companies will step in and go to bat for you should you be faced with a bad transaction.
Use a CC for online sales every chance you get.
YEP! Many don't realize just how good the protections we have in the US are by law. It's not just for online too. While back a large appliance store here went under. One day people showed up and the place was closed. A LOT of people had paid for stuff that was still in the store. They who paid any other way were told they would have to get in line with the rest of the creditors. Those who paid with a Credit Card just got their money back. I have used mine like a checkbook ever since. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top