JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
:eek: Now that I have your attention, I'm hoping at least one response will be useable.
Some years ago I bought this:
IMGP0201.JPG
Its been a year since I shot it but every several months I take it off the wall and rag it down.
The nipples look like new condition. Its cleaned meticulously every time its been played with BUT; I have never removed the nipples.
My question is: should I remove, inspect and reseat them on a periodic basis regardless of use?
My thoughts was to prevent them from rust welding themselves on, as unattended threads will sometimes do.
Would a thin film of antiseize be of benefit?
Hopefully there is a nipple expert among us:D
Thank you kindly

I certainly would and (now) do. I learned the hard way.
You're spot on concerning the threads. I have an expensive paperweight as confirmation.

Beautiful piece Thorburg. Certainly no harm in taking the nipples out and putting a little never-seize on them. Once cleaned and coated I wouldn't worry about them again until you had shot it.

Ditto on pulling the nipples and giving a good cleaning and a coat of Never seize!
Do your self a big favor and pick up a small can of the Copper based Paste and paint on enough to coat all the threads. Once seated clean the area thoroughly and lube the rest as you would normally! I like to store mine with toothpicks in the touch holes, coated with a little moly grease, keeps ya from getting dust in the nipples when stored out in the open! Just insert a tooth pick coated in thin grease and us a fine pair of side cutters and snip off the pick leaving just enough to grab when it's time to shoot!
Ditto on @AndyinEverson or @BenLilly

Love me some perky errr... never mind ! :p

It would not hurt to put anti seize lube or whatnot on the threads.

I don't however.
If I shoot the revolver , when cleaning it , I will remove the nipples , clean them and the threads with Hoppe's #9 , clean out the thread hole in the cylinder hole with the same , dry then reassemble.
Haven't have a issue with rusty threads , rusty nipples
( that there is a GREAT country and western band name! :D ) or a nipple getting stuck or frozen in place .... yet.

On my not so shot much original percussion guns , I'll check 'em every once in awhile.
Seems to work, for me.

If when working on an original or a neglected replica and it has the infamous frozen nipples :eek:
I think kinky thoughts about certain gun terms and parts , apply a little Lock Ease on the nipples / thread area and let it sit for a day or two.
This has done the trick for me.

Thanks MountainBear and Ura-Ki for thinking of me in this thread.
Andy

A few more thoughts if I may ...
KROIL also works well if you have a dreaded case of the frozen nipples. :D
KROIL can also do wonders for a rusty bore ( another great band name )

October Country makes the best off the shelf nipple wrenches I've ever worked with.
And last but not least Grace Screwdrivers and their sets are well worth every penny.
Andy

Yeah, they're consumables. Pull 'em and put some kind of anti-seize on 'em as eventually they will need to come out and they can be a real bear to get out on a revolver.

I crack open every screw on every gun I own at least once a year just to make sure they're easily removed when (not if) the time comes that a part will need to be replaced or a lock stripped and cleaned (nothing like a sticky fly to ruin your day).

Thanks for all the advice. I'm a Kroil advocate and aficionado also.
I'll heed the sage advice today.
I'm fortunate to have access to such an eclectic and knowledgeable array of fine savory folk.
Thank you kindly

October Country makes the best off the shelf nipple wrenches I've ever worked with.
Or if you are cheap like me you find a 3/16" nut driver in your toolbox and cut 'flats' to just fit the nipple and reduce the OD of the head of the tool to fit the recess on the cylinder. Works great!
IMG_03591.jpg

Or if you are cheap like me you find a 3/16" nut driver in your toolbox and cut 'flats' to just fit the nipple and reduce the OD of the head of the tool to fit the recess on the cylinder. Works great!
View attachment 336517
Ohhhhhh... Kinky.....

A nipple tool!!!!

Sorry, I've tried to resist, I simply cannot help myself!!! The 17 year old is out of the bottle now!!!
:D:D:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads