JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know several firearm makers test fire their guns before sending to retailers but do they clean afterwards? I bought a new in the box handgun and I ran a patch through the barrel and it came out with powder residue ( not a lot though) I was pretty surprised as I was expecting the bore to be clean.

I think every manufacturer test fires there gun and frankly I would be surprised if any of them cleaned them. I always clean a new gun, so I really don't find it that big of deal.

Last Edited:
I always clean my guns asap, I have a irrational fear of the bore being ruined by my neglect. My uncle bought a new Sig 226 over 20 years ago and never fired it, last week he sold it to me and I was a little surprised when I ran a patch through it.

most factories use heavy grease or oil for longer storage time, and no they don't clean them after function/test fire.

however, firearms I bought were pretty clean out of box. :cool:

Modern ammo is non-corrosive. I've never purchased a new firearm that was spit-shined clean. I'm just glad it was factory tested.

And FYI, I inherited my Great-Uncles 1911 prod. date 1943. I'd bet money it hadn't been cleaned in 30 years yet after a good scrubbing the bore was shiny and the slide looked great.

A dirty gun out-of-the-box means an operational gun out-of-the-box. ;)

The last firearm I bought was dirty out of the box. It also wouldn't run right. Sent it back, thy fixed it, ran four mags through it, and sent it back. It arrived dirty, but this time it worked. I was much happier, but no, it seems guns that are test fired are not cleaned. I doubt my Mossberg was test fired, because it was clean. It was also packed in a heavier grease though.

My concern is with the residue collecting and holding moisture. Weak acids or bases can form from residue and water and attack the steel over time. I have read that military sniper rifles are cleaned after return from service and then one fouling shot is made with no addition cleaning.
Roy

Just got a Taurus GX4. Seller swears it's NIB from factory. It has burnt powder residue on feedramp as well as the cartridge face of slide. How many rounds does Taurus fire their weapons that they be that fouled?

None of the new guns I have purchased (which is most of them) were clean when I received them.
Same. I have a policy to field strip and clean/inspect every new gun before I ever take it to the range, so I know how all the pieces work together. I have never once received a clean gun. I assume they are all test fired at the factory.

The last firearm I bought was dirty out of the box. It also wouldn't run right. Sent it back, thy fixed it, ran four mags through it, and sent it back. It arrived dirty, but this time it worked. I was much happier, but no, it seems guns that are test fired are not cleaned. I doubt my Mossberg was test fired, because it was clean. It was also packed in a heavier grease though.
Wow, I had the exact opposite experience with a recent Mossberg purchase. The bore was caked in dried grease.. I had to use a tornado brush to clean it up.

I know some people don't clean their guns, and to be sure overcleaning is a bad thing (especially the bore).. but I'm of the mindset that moisture is the enemy. Any dust, dirt or grime that can attract moisture gets cleaned off my guns asap after shooting.

I think I'd be a little worried if I bought a gun and it looked like it hadn't been test fired.

Conventional wisdom:
1> round to function test that the gun fires and doesn't explode!
2> rounds to function test sear and disconnect
3> rounds tests the above and that 3 rounds feed from magazine
6 rounds total at least! :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads