Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

do manufacturers clean after test firing?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by taylor, May 18, 2014.

1. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I know several firearm makers test fire their guns before sending to retailers but do they clean afterwards? I bought a new in the box handgun and I ran a patch through the barrel and it came out with powder residue ( not a lot though) I was pretty surprised as I was expecting the bore to be clean.

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I think every manufacturer test fires there gun and frankly I would be surprised if any of them cleaned them. I always clean a new gun, so I really don't find it that big of deal.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
    skydiver and Whaler like this.
  3. pakrat57

pakrat57 Reedsport Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

None of the new guns I have purchased (which is most of them) were clean when I received them.

4. taylor

Couldn't it cause damage if the gun didn't sell right away and sat for years?

5. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Many people don't clean there guns. You will also find firearms that shoot better dirty then clean. Some shooters, serious shooter only recommend cleaning when accuracy falls off. I highly doubt any gun is sitting in the shelf for years.

d2the3 likes this.
  6. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

The powder is non-corrosive so even if a gun sits on the shelf for years it is no problem.

7. taylor

I always clean my guns asap, I have a irrational fear of the bore being ruined by my neglect. My uncle bought a new Sig 226 over 20 years ago and never fired it, last week he sold it to me and I was a little surprised when I ran a patch through it.

8. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

most factories use heavy grease or oil for longer storage time, and no they don't clean them after function/test fire.

however, firearms I bought were pretty clean out of box. :cool:

9. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Modern ammo is non-corrosive. I've never purchased a new firearm that was spit-shined clean. I'm just glad it was factory tested.

And FYI, I inherited my Great-Uncles 1911 prod. date 1943. I'd bet money it hadn't been cleaned in 30 years yet after a good scrubbing the bore was shiny and the slide looked great.

A dirty gun out-of-the-box means an operational gun out-of-the-box. ;)

10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Should definitely clean, lube and inspect every new gun and it's owners handbook.

11. kibs45

kibs45 Portland Active Member

The last firearm I bought was dirty out of the box. It also wouldn't run right. Sent it back, thy fixed it, ran four mags through it, and sent it back. It arrived dirty, but this time it worked. I was much happier, but no, it seems guns that are test fired are not cleaned. I doubt my Mossberg was test fired, because it was clean. It was also packed in a heavier grease though.

12. newthings

newthings seaside, or New Member

My concern is with the residue collecting and holding moisture. Weak acids or bases can form from residue and water and attack the steel over time. I have read that military sniper rifles are cleaned after return from service and then one fouling shot is made with no addition cleaning.
    Roy

13. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I just bought a stag 24" ar barrel it was dirty when it arrived.

Takes them too long to clean it, and i'm sure it's their way of showing you it was tested