JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot of teenagers sneaking back into the house late at night after sneaking out have been killed by parents not identifying the target.

A lot? No. That's not true. Yes, it's happened, but to say "a lot" just gives the anti's more fuel and it's simply not true.

I have Streamlights on a couple of pistols and rifles, that said we have lots of ambient light at night both from outside, and from plug in, rechargeable nightlights, so if the power goes out, they stay on. They're about only $6 and just useful to have around the house.
I'm not going house clearing....

"A lot" is a relative term with no specific value - but it is "a lot" more than would happen if people had WML and identified targets before shooting.

I agree that WML's are the way to go. I run them on all my defensive firearms. :)

From reading the comments in this thread, all I can say is, "For Pete's sake, go get some low light training people and maybe it will open your eyes to reality".
My thoughts precisely!

Anyone who thinks that one would employ a WML to identify a potential target by pointing said WML directly at that potential target has either:
1) never taken a low-light/no-light shooting class,
2) if they did take a class, then they did not pay attention when this subject was covered, or
3) lacks basic common sense and gun-handling skilz.

As myself and many others have indicated in this thread, there is a safe and proper way to ID a potential target while utilizing a WML. Please become familiar with it.

Last Edited:
I finally decided to install a light on my EDC. Being a bigger guy, I can pull off a full size pistol with a light in an IWB holster.

I have multiple guns, but my G17, M4, and MP5 are my go to should there be a SHTF, so all three have lights installed on them for target identification.

I have a couple of other pistols with lights but I don't have a light compatible holster for them. I always carry an flashlight with me in my pocket as well.

Alas, my revolvers don't have WML. My EDC doesn't have one either, but then, I never go out at night. Of my bedroom guns, 3 have WML and one is a revolver.

Regarding ID'ing target, I don't have kids. The wash from the WML is plenty enough to ID a target, and if somebody is in my house, they are mine and are going to get a WML pointed at them. "Uh, buddy... Sorry to point this light at you, but could you please leave?" lol ;)

My handhelds have those rapid blink stun features... do those actually work? Or do they make the intruder take an acid trip?? Timothy Leary here ya go...

Alas, my revolvers don't have WML. My EDC doesn't have one either, but then, I never go out at night. Of my bedroom guns, 3 have WML and one is a revolver.

Regarding ID'ing target, I don't have kids. The wash from the WML is plenty enough to ID a target, and if somebody is in my house, they are mine and are going to get a WML pointed at them. "Uh, buddy... Sorry to point this light at you, but could you please leave?" lol ;)

My handhelds have those rapid blink stun features... do those actually work? Or do they make the intruder take an acid trip?? Timothy Leary here ya go...

Personally, after testing 1000 lumen strobe vs 1000 lumen constant on. From a "I can't be effective because of a bright light" standpoint, I found the strobe to be less effective than the constant on.

Only you can say do "you need" one. None of my carry pistols have one, yet. ALL my at home guns have one. The ones I use are a light and laser combo that's rechargeable so no battery changes. Many will tell you all kinds of reasons to not have either or both. I will not be without them. You have to decide if you want one for you.
An excellent response! You decide.

Personally, after testing 1000 lumen strobe vs 1000 lumen constant on. From a "I can't be effective because of a bright light" standpoint, I found the strobe to be less effective than the constant on.

You don't want to make yourself a target leaving your light on constantly. Leave light off and turn on and if BG shoot otherwise off. If possible you want to move in a non intuitive direction if possible since there may be multiple BG.

My weapon lights are like 235 lumens only which is bright enough to see your target. My shotgun has like 600+ lumen light on it. It is a Streamlight TLR-1 HL. There is a newer version that is even brighter now.

Ive noticed with my 1000 lumen light very hard to look through any type of glass especially vehicle.I agree with Tony 600 is about the sweet spot

If its something that you will want as a defensive weapon at some point, yes, you need a light. Most of the year its dark by dinnertime and then of course sleeping at night you will want access to something with a light.

I've posted this elsewhere...

There is more to output than lumens. My Surefire DF puts out 1,500 lumens and approximately 15,000 candela while my Modlite OKW is only 680 lumens but with approximately 69,000 candela and it whips the snot out the SF DF when it comes to long range luminescent.

A timely article from Primary Arms...
Ultimate guide to Weapon Lights

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews