JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I seriously recommend that you put any firearm, or anything you could use to harm yourself or someone else, out of your immediate reach while sleeping.

I usually remember doing these things as I usually wake up afterwards, but I have answered the phone while asleep and had a conversation with someone, and not remembered it later.

Yeah - since then I have adopted that method.

One thing not mentioned is that a light or lazer identifies both you and what it's pointing at.

Most lights and lasers have a switch on them for turning them off or on. A handheld flashlight identifies you too, as does general indoor illumination. If you don't want to be identified, then turn the light source off - but I want to know who or what I am thinking about shooting before I shoot and I don't want to worry about losing my illumination because I drop a flashlight. I am not likely to turn on the WML before I am ready to shoot - except maybe with my shotgun. It is good to have the option either way.

With regards to the laser - it is a lot more difficult to pinpoint the source of a laser than the source of less coherent illumination like a flashlight. Also, these movies where you see the whole red beam of a red laser are not very accurate; there has to be something in the air for the beam to reflect off of - like a lot of moisture or dust. I have noticed that my green laser is, for some reason much more reflective of air particles than my red lasers - I don't know if it is the wavelength or the power or both, but it is.

One thing not mentioned is that a light or lazer identifies both you and what it's pointing at.
This is brought up every time a laser and or light is mentioned. What those who bring this up never seem to want to talk about is what is it they want then? Shoot "at" what you think might be in front of you? The whole idea of the light is to make sure of what you are shooting. If it's dark enough for me to not be 100% sure who or what I am about to shoot I will risk some dobad being able to shoot at me because they see the light. There sadly is a lot of examples of people who did shoot some family member because they did not know what they were shooting at until it was too late.

This is brought up every time a laser and or light is mentioned. What those who bring this up never seem to want to talk about is what is it they want then? Shoot "at" what you think might be in front of you? The whole idea of the light is to make sure of what you are shooting. If it's dark enough for me to not be 100% sure who or what I am about to shoot I will risk some dobad being able to shoot at me because they see the light. There sadly is a lot of examples of people who did shoot some family member because they did not know what they were shooting at until it was too late.

A lot of teenagers sneaking back into the house late at night after sneaking out have been killed by parents not identifying the target.

Ok, what do I want then? Good question. I like stealth, I like to observe with out being seen. I like the element of suprize. I'm on the neighborhood watch and look for lights in the wrong places. I do carry a 5 cell mag light but it's more of a less than lethal weapon when pointed into some neer'do'wells eyes. That being said, I've never used it that way, just know I could. I do carry my Glock 22 but have never needed it either.

So for those who are scanning areas by drawing your firearm and even just then using ambient light, what if the action of drawing your gun alarms someone and they take that move as offensive and pop you in defense?

In other words, let's say you are in a darkened area but see someone else well enough to see him draw a firearm.... Surely there could be some cause for alarm. You might wait and see what he does with it, but what if waiting was a fatal error. Do you draw and then point it or keep it low ready, and what if he sees you with a gun and shoots you?

So for those who are scanning areas by drawing your firearm and even just then using ambient light, what if the action of drawing your gun alarms someone and they take that move as offensive and pop you in defense?

In other words, let's say you are in a darkened area but see someone else well enough to see him draw a firearm.... Surely there could be some cause for alarm. You might wait and see what he does with it, but what if waiting was a fatal error. Do you draw and then point it or keep it low ready, and what if he sees you with a gun and shoots you?
?? Unless I missed something here I only see people talking about scanning in their home. To make sure they are not getting ready to shoot some kid who snuck out and is now sneaking back in. So you see cases where family members shoot each other? Quite the household. I guess if that's the case, that the same people who live in the same home are going to shoot each other then the entire home should be with no guns. Problems solved.

I know I am not in the usual situation, but in the scenario you describe, I would be on my property and the person would be well and truly trespassing (I live a quarter mile down a private road, my house is 100 yards off that road).

That said, I am not going outside waving a gun around carelessly - but I still want a light on any gun I am carrying for self-defense.

?? Unless I missed something here I only see people talking about scanning in their home. To make sure they are not getting ready to shoot some kid who snuck out and is now sneaking back in. So you see cases where family members shoot each other? Quite the household. I guess if that's the case, that the same people who live in the same home are going to shoot each other then the entire home should be with no guns. Problems solved.

Oh, well I think it's obvious I'm plainly talking about folks using their gun to 'positively ID' people in public (parking lots, parking garages, movie theaters, dark alleys, etc.). Isn't that the thrust of the discussion, a light on a carry gun?

It's pretty obvious that of course you would want a gun and a light if you're searching your house to ID people inside and the level of "rights" you have are vastly different than in public.

Oh, well I think it's obvious I'm plainly talking about folks using their gun to 'positively ID' people in public (parking lots, parking garages, movie theaters, dark alleys, etc.). Isn't that the thrust of the discussion, a light on a carry gun?

It's pretty obvious that of course you would want a gun and a light if you're searching your house to ID people inside and the level of "rights" you have are vastly different than in public.

You should have a weapon mounted light AND a separate light on you. Use the right tools for the right situation >:0

Yes, yes and yes! Lights are often overlooked and underrated. They are a minor expense (good quality/high lumen weapon lights can often be had for under a $100) and are important in any edc setup.

I have a Crimson Trace laser on my EDC.

Weapon mounted flashlights give an intruder a nice target to shoot at, but I do have one mounted on my KSG. That particular light is designed to blind and disorient (and it does) and has an ergonomic way to turn it on and off. It's also appropriate since the shotgun requires two hands.

For a pistol it's still best to keep the flashlight in your non dominant hand and held away from your body.

I had lights on my ARs but recently removed them. For me they add weight and make handling a little awkward. Also seem more gimmicky than practical. Just my preference

I use an unattached light. But besides some practice, have had no real life opportunity to solidify the good or bad of it.
Pondering it though;
I've been told that one is at the bottom of the dirt pile if they use a scoped rifle as binoculars to identify game.
Wouldn't that then apply to attaching a flashlight to a gun. ..Still pointing a gun at a potential innocent.
Seems contrary to the basic rules of gun safety.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top