Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

do i need a mil spec buffer tube?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Daniel Garris, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Daniel Garris

Daniel Garris vancouver w.a. Member

hey guys im new to forums as im new to ar15s so i apologize if this is the wrong place for this but i have a question for some of you ar gurus.:huh:

i want to do some upgrades to my armalite one of which is the BCG, and i read its good to get a mil spec buffer upgrade to go with that. these being the 2 parts that i have heard are most important. so my question is can i use a mil spec buffer assembly in a commercial tube, thanks daniel

2. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Yes, ID's are the same, OD's are different, commercial diameter 1.171 and MIL spec diameter 1.145

magpulbuffertube.jpg

3. Daniel Garris

Daniel Garris vancouver w.a. Member

so i can use a mil spec buffer because the commercial tube is bigger so it would fit in either one? am i understanding this right. and thanks for replying it helps alot.

4. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Yes, inside diameters are the same between mil-spec and commercial.

5. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

in other words the buffer is the same size...no difference. You will be fine using your commercial buffer in a mil-spec buffer tube. GL

6. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Buffers are the same size, the stocks are not. A mil-spec stock will not fit on a commercial buffer tube.
    More important is the buffer weight.

Buffer%20Table.jpg