JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Probably not, but why let that stop you? I don't need a sixth .45 either but I'll still buy it just in case Obwan wins and issues an executive order cutting off all sales of guns.

Dude, I don't know if you "need" one, but after a recent outing, and seeing what my buddies 22-250 did to my AR500 3/8 steel plate.... I WANT ONE.

I've shot that thing with .22lr, 9mm, 45 .ACP, .223, .308 and .30-06 and it's done great.

He asked what it could take and asked if he could shoot with the 22.250 and I said "Sure"... Damn near punched through it. Pushed a perfect shaped peg 3/4 of the way through.

I was very impressed.

I'll put up a picture if you want.

Don't own one anymore but I loved my .22-250s! That cartridge is a real heck bender! Very flat shooting and spectacular impacts! On the bad side they are very loud and some ranchers don't care to have them used on their property. I was twice asked what we would be shooting And only got permission to hunt there because we promised to use .223s on down.

P.S. Of course you need one!

Last Edited:
Don't own one anymore but I loved my .22-250s! That cartridge is a real heck bender! Very flat shooting and spectacular impacts! On the bad side they are very loud and some ranchers don't care to have them used on their property. I was twice asked what we would be shooting And only got permission to hunt there because we promised to use .223s on down.

P.S. Of course you need one!

A 22-250 is no louder then any other .22 cal centerfire rifle at the same speed. If your worried about being louder then a .223 don't load up past 2900-3000fps and with the same lenght barrel and bullet the sound pressure level will be the same.

I use highly explosive slugs like Hornady 55gr SPSX's at 3400fps and they will vaporize anything smaller then a cotton tail and will take a coyote right out at 300 yards.

Of course you do! Everyone needs a 22-250 its one of the cornerstones of any well balanced gun collection.

And yes, its a shooter for sure. Buy one, you will love it and thank us all for encouraging you to buy it. (your wife may hate us though)

A 22-250 is no louder then any other .22 cal centerfire rifle at the same speed. If your worried about being louder then a .223 don't load up past 2900-3000fps and with the same lenght barrel and bullet the sound pressure level will be the same.

I use highly explosive slugs like Hornady 55gr SPSX's at 3400fps and they will vaporize anything smaller then a cotton tail and will take a coyote right out at 300 yards.

Why not buy a .223 then? At 3400 fps plus the big .22 is plenty loud! Also as Blane says, at the higher velocitys bbl life is a bit short.

I was looking at a 300wm yesterday. Mentioned to another customer I already had a 270 and a 338wm.He said I didn't need the 300wm then.

I,being single,with no one to answer to,ask him what "need" had to do with it?
You are over 18? Non felon? Kinda want one?
Go get it.
Leave "need" out of the equation.

I was looking at a 300wm yesterday. Mentioned to another customer I already had a 270 and a 338wm.He said I didn't need the 300wm then.

I,being single,with no one to answer to,ask him what "need" had to do with it?
You are over 18? Non felon? Kinda want one?
Go get it.
Leave "need" out of the equation.

As stated above - what's NEED got to do with it? More a question of want vs. budget. After all - with speed limits being what they are no one "needs" a vehicle that does double the posted limit for public roadway use but they still sell a ton of cars and bikes that are more than capable of it.

I have thought about one of these too but was told they are barrell burners, how long does a barrell last. P.S. don't tell me to use light loads the speed is what I like about them.

I have thought about one of these too but was told they are barrell burners, how long does a barrell last. P.S. don't tell me to use light loads the speed is what I like about them.

No way to tell. Different loads, level of care with cleaning, different alloys. But, remember, rebarreling is not all that expensive. And it's like buying a whole new rifle, fun wise! They are FUN to shoot too, did I mention that?

Why not buy a .223 then? At 3400 fps plus the big .22 is plenty loud! Also as Blane says, at the higher velocitys bbl life is a bit short.

Thats simple to answer. I can load a 22-250 to mimick a .223 but you can't load a .223 to equal a 22-250.

Yes at 3400fps the 22-250 is loud never said it wasn't. In the 30 years I have shot a 22-250 I don't remember once its report being an issue. YMMV

As to barrel life in a 22-250 I have no idea those I have had have been able to out shoot me for the last 30 years. So I guess I haven't got there yet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top