JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the past month I've purchased exactly 3,000 rounds of ammunition in spam cans for guns I don't yet own (although I've ordered one of them) and I'm on track to purchase another 880 rounds next weekend. I feel like I should feel weird about it, but I don't actually feel weird. Is that weird?

Some of it is M2 ball for the Garand I just ordered from the CMP, the rest is 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R for the SKS and the Mosin I'm planning to order as soon as my C&R gets here. But I keep looking at the stack of spam cans piling up under the reloading bench and wondering...

What's weird is that the total comes out to exactly 3,000.

I cant stop myself from buying AK mags. And the more unique.. The harder it is to say no.

The white circle 10 mag eludes me.. For now.

But back to the OP, I think its a wise investment. Ammo and MOST firearms can always be resold.

Some of it is M2 ball for the Garand I just ordered from the CMP, the rest is 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R for the SKS and the Mosin I'm planning to order as soon as my C&R gets here. But I keep looking at the stack of spam cans piling up under the reloading bench and wondering...

Those are rounds and guns you will shoot for a lifetime - unless you need space or money I would say keep buying it ;)

I don't like odd numbers, you should double that amount. :D

I have firearms that I have not shot yet - one cost over $3000.

I recently sold a NIB rifle that I bought 4 or 5 years ago and I never shot it.

I don't feel weird about it, but I do recognize that I have a problem.

My name is The Heretic and I am a gunoholic. :oops:

Seriously, if you are getting a decent price on the ammo, then you are fine.

But if you paid an inflated price, which isn't hard to do today, then I would advise you to not panic buy - the prices will come down on the ammo that has inflated prices. Most of that is .22 rimfire, and I would bet you are buying low cost surplus cheap ammo for military rifles, so you are probably okay. For most of this ammo the price will probably increase over time.

The other advice I would give, is to not just get inexpensive FMJ ammo. IMO it is okay for practice and pleasure shooting, but I would slowly purchase ammo intended for hunting and/or self-defense - e.g., soft point expanding ammo. And I wouldn't buy cheap chinese or russian hollow point ammo thinking that because it is hollow point it is expanding ammo - it isn't.

Try owning a couple of full auto machine guns. 3,000 rds is a day at the range.
Yesterday I was thinking about why do they put a selector switch on them, neither one of them has ever been fired single shot.

As long as you understand that should the ammo your buying become in short supply your part of the problem.

It's surplus, so by definition there is a finite supply. Am I part of the problem now or will I only become part of the problem years after I bought it and the finite supply has dried up?

It's surplus, so by definition there is a finite supply. Am I part of the problem now or will I only become part of the problem years after I bought it and the finite supply has dried up?
If you want it, Have the means to buy it and don't use credit (I'm pretty sure your a Dave Ramsey follower), Buy the $hit and shoot it, save it or eat it if you desire, It your freedom....Enjoy it.

OP, if the ammo is a good deal, buy it. People though I was silly for buy .22 LR buy the case when it was available on the shelves at BiMart. I don't feel silly at all. I can shoot my FA .22LR without worrying about where I will get the ammo.

Try owning a couple of full auto machine guns. 3,000 rds is a day at the range.
Yesterday I was thinking about why do they put a selector switch on them, neither one of them has ever been fired single shot.
I have used the selector switch on my subgun, but only to sight in the optic. I limit how much I shoot in on a trip to the range by preloading my mags then not taking more loose ammo. I shoot all the mags, then move on to other fun. Of course, that will change with I get my new upper that takes 72 round drum mags. I have 10 of them and four 50 round coffin mags. That's close to 1000 rounds if I bring them all filled to shoot. I have to get into reloading 9mm.

The real fun is letting other people experience the thrill of cutting loose with a real FA firearm.
My neighbors 17 yr old grandson was recently diagnosed with testicular cancer.
He didn't tell his parents for over a year that one of his testicles was aching all the time.
By the time he was diagnosed, he had a cancerous testicle and a tumor in his stomach cavity as big a summer sausage.
The day before his surgery, I took him and his dad out to my friends farm and let him shoot the Thompson & Mac 11 as much as he wanted.
I've been buying, hoarding ammo for years just so I can see the ear to ear grin on folks as they rip through a fifty rd drum of 45 acp.
Then, after all that noise, you hand them a suppressed .300 blackout SBR and they can't believe how quiet
it is.

My motto is, I never have enough. I'm in the mind set now that I don't want to add any calibers because I don't want add to the confusion of stock piling another caliber. It's already too much.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top