JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently noticed that the first round in my carry gun was massively over seated. The gun is a XD-40 SubCompact the ammo is Federal JHP. I carry every day so i load and un-load the top round once a day. I try to rotate rounds on a regular basis but I might go a week or two using the same round on top. Any thoughts... crappy ammo.....rotate more often....or???
Picture063.jpg

I recently noticed that the first round in my carry gun was massively over seated. The gun is a XD-40 SubCompact the ammo is Federal JHP. I carry every day so i load and un-load the top round once a day. I try to rotate rounds on a regular basis but I might go a week or two using the same round on top. Any thoughts... crappy ammo.....rotate more often....or???
Picture063.jpg

Who made the ammo?

has any other rounds done that?

when you take it out shooting, i would manually put a round in. fire with the mag loaded in, drop the mag, and check the next round. see if it does the same thing. I would do this several times. If no other rounds do this, then you are probably good. If it does it a lot i would call Springfield.

It is probably just a bad round that didn't get enough of a crimp. but try the other rounds to see if you have a feeding problem.

I agree with TonsOfOregonBrass, It sounds like just a bad crimp job from the factory. I have seen other wierd stuff from factory ammo.

I have a XD40 Full size and the pistol has never done that to a round. Its a very accurate pistol.

The ammo is factory Federal.
The gun has never given me a single FTF or FTL in the 6-700 rounds i have put through it. I have only noticed it when loading and un loding by hand. other rounds from the same batch have done the same thing but not near as bad. How many time is it safe/recomended to chamber a round and not fire it? If i could, i would leave it loaded all of the time but i have two small kids and un-loading daily is a MUST untill i get a small bio safe for next to the bed.

I wouldn't say there is a number of times that pistol ammo can be chambered with out firing, I have ammo that is over ten years old and been chambered 3 dozen times with out being fired yet, and I would still bet my life on it. Its Winchester Black Talon ammo.

Do you have any over types or brands that you hand load and unload a few times to see if they do the same thing.

One round out of fifty or twenty five doing the same defect, easy to see happening, but a whole batch?, I don't know how common that would be.

I would try some different ammo, before you start looking at the pistol as the source

Correct me if i'm wrong. But isn't this called bullet setback? I think this is a common problem with chambering the same round repeatedly with some guns. I would like to know if it is safe to fire a round with the bullet pushed back like that.

I just pulled a factory Remington .45 out of a colt that looked like that, but not quite so bad. When I compared it to a couple other rounds, it was shorter by about a millimeter.

Rounds being loaded/unloaded multiple times CAN have this happen. It doesn't all the time, but it can. Just leave it loaded and be safe.

eta: not that round though obviously!

I'd stop loading it and unloading it constantly, what happens if you need your gun at home?

IMHO, leave it in a good quality holster and work on teaching your kids that it's not a toy. I've got 4 kids(2-13) and have raised them all to know not to touch guns without dads permission. My 2 year old actually reminds me every morning to get my gun-gun before heading down stairs.

I have a toy gun that looks real enough. I occasionally "forget" to put my gun away by leaving the toy out. It's a good test for the kiddos and a good way to reinforce the 3 rules. Don't touch it. Leave the area. Tell an adult.

Sorry to hijack your thread. I would agree. Looks like a bad crimp. Do NOT fire. If you start seeing more of them, I would worry and call Springfield.

Thanks for the comments and info guys....

The round I took a picture of has been put aside so i don’t accidently shoot it. I also emptied the rounds out of my carry clip and found 4 of 9 rounds slightly shorter than a new factory load( just enough you could notice it but not even close to the picture). I think loading and un-loading is what is causing it but i might try a different brand of ammo just to compare. I will start to pay a little closer attention to the condition of my top load to make sure it is not over seated.

Am I the only one who loads and un loads on a regular basis???

Like i said earlier the reason i do this is because I have two kids 2 1/2 and 1. I have told my oldest that we dont ever touch daddy's gun. My daughter is very well behaved but any one with kids can tell you they don’t always listen and if you turn your back for a second they can get in to trouble. So to make a long story longer at this age i simply won’t gamble that my kids will have good enough judgment to leave it alone if they were to find a loaded gun. This will all be solved when i get a bedside safe and can just leave it loaded 24-7.

On a tech note does anyone know if all the XD's have the same feed ramp angle?

I have a toy gun that looks real enough. I occasionally "forget" to put my gun away by leaving the toy out. It's a good test for the kiddos and a good way to reinforce the 3 rules. Don't touch it. Leave the area. Tell an adult.

Sorry to hijack your thread. I would agree. Looks like a bad crimp. Do NOT fire. If you start seeing more of them, I would worry and call Springfield.

I like this idea:s0155: thanks

Like i said earlier the reason i do this is because I have two kids 2 1/2 and 1. I have told my oldest that we dont ever touch daddy's gun. My daughter is very well behaved but any one with kids can tell you they don’t always listen and if you turn your back for a second they can get in to trouble. So to make a long story longer at this age i simply won’t gamble that my kids will have good enough judgment to leave it alone if they were to find a loaded gun. This will all be solved when i get a bedside safe and can just leave it loaded 24-7.

I used to un and re load very frequently. I have never reseated a round like that.

Regarding the kiddos and guns. Guns are either on my hip or locked up. In the safe, if a gun is in a holster, it is loaded. If it's not, then not.

If you don't have a safe, I would consider getting one...

Thanks for the comments and info guys....

The round I took a picture of has been put aside so i don’t accidently shoot it. I also emptied the rounds out of my carry clip and found 4 of 9 rounds slightly shorter than a new factory load( just enough you could notice it but not even close to the picture). I think loading and un-loading is what is causing it but i might try a different brand of ammo just to compare. I will start to pay a little closer attention to the condition of my top load to make sure it is not over seated.

On a tech note does anyone know if all the XD's have the same feed ramp angle?

Once again... Smart man! Do not take a gamble with kids and guns. I don't care how much you teach them, or tell them they are still kids and you never know what they are going to do. Those quick access safes are becoming pretty inexpensive these days, i have seen them for under $100 new.

I hope you can figure out the cause of the problem.

My guns stay loaded, and my daughters were taught from a young age about guns. They know they don't touch without daddy there, and without asking first. Nothing better than your girls helping you clean your guns!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top