Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Do any of you remember when?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Caveman Jim, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

2. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

And it was terrible. There were school shootings everywhere in 1956. America barely made it out of that year.

yes I am joking, for the oblivious

3. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

181228_666074026751513_810000020_n.jpg

181228_666074026751513_810000020_n.jpg

sheepdip and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

As a freshman in 1973-74 I gave my first speech in English class on how to field strip and clean an M1 Carbine. I took one of dads carbines with me on the bus and kept it in my locker. It took dad one short phone call to the VP to get me permission to do that. Only condition was that I had to have it in a gun rug on the bus and that I had to leave it in my locker between classes I wasn't allowed to walk around with it. Since no one said anything about ammo I had a full mag in my back pocket all day. I used an empty one for the speech.

My dad had actually taught the class in the National Guard on how to handle the M1 Carbine so he taught me how to do it exactly like he did in the Army.

The speech received an A from our normally drunk but somehow very attentive English teacher. I was the only one to receive their grade almost instantly after finishing the speech LOL.

5. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Yes, and then a few years later came Jimmy Carter and the Department of Education, and well, there you go.

Keith

unklekippy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth!!!

tanzuki and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Yep, all down hill from then. Sad, a passing of the era.

8. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

took the firearms safety course when I was in grade school in Sisters. we moved to Madras in 66, I went to high school from 68-72 almost always had some sort of firearm, club. knife, in my pickup. that wasn't unusual, most of the guys were outfitted likewise. there used to be lots of fistfights at dances and such,booze was king, don't ever remember anybody going for their gun. let alone being suspended for having one. AH the good old days. Madras White Buffalo!

9. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Yes, and back then the girls in high school were cute. These days have you ever seen more homely fat kids.

10. deann

deann oregon Active Member

yes,i do remember the local sheriff taught the class,my dad was proud,more so than the sports that followed.that was the start of many great hunting trips!!

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  11. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

And worse yet, while the boys did that, the girls were all sequestered away in some other room where they learned to bake cupcakes. The horror...

deann and (deleted member) like this.