JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I cant believe Im going say this, but in the past few weeks I have seen lots of ammo online, and while not cheap, it is at least there,Buffalo Bore has most of their ammo still at pre covid pricing and most is in stock, and there seems to be a large amount of cheap good 7.62 x 54r around now. 6.5 grendel is still the holy grail for me, but my brother in-law in Canada has bought 500 rounds for me and is going liberate them to me this summer. I think prices will fall a bit for hunting season though.

The price point on most hunting cartridges luckily is so high it rarely jumps in price. The key time to buy however is after hunting season as they (used to) run sales on those calibers as they (again due to price) dont fly off the shelves.
06, 7mm, 270..etc all seem to hold steady.
Right now you can get subsonic handgun ammo for within a penny of supersonic.

I was one of em, most seasons I didn't even sight in the Marlin 336 in 30-30 because it was never off. 21 years of hunting blacktails an 20 deer went into the freezer. ;)
Elk, they are my nemesis!!!:s0117:
Yeah, I was talking about my dad but I know there are others. As a young child I wondered why they always had a bloody eye ....

Dad didn't believe in wasting meat.

Many of my dear were too busy trying to figure out what was in front of them on opening day while I zeroed in on that white spot just below their chin and BANG, season over.... :p
Would this help?

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 9.41.20 PM.png

Scopes are a cheat in many respects, but you still gotta spend the time learning them at all ranges and in all conditions! Like @Andy54Hawken posted, you gotta try and replicate actual hunting conditions with the chosen load to be able to know instinctively how it all is going to come together when the time comes! .30/06 with a 150 gr pull is plenty enough for deer, but I would take a long hard look at the scope and the set up of the rifle! Can you pack that rifle all day maybe several days worth miles and miles and then stake one single shot in the worst possible conditions? Are you able to see your target with the scope at its lowest setting? Are you good enough to take a shot, and can you trust your self to make a difficult shot and a range that's pushing you and your set up?

What I'm getting at is you gotta know your rifle and your scope and you gotta be able to do your part at reasonable ethical hunting distances and not allow an animal to suffer because you thought you were better then you actually are! Only you can answer all those questions, and if your making excuses to your self, it's only you your fooling!

A that said, good luck in your hunting adventures and be sure to share your success and experiences!

Something to consider with hunting ammo...
It is wise to zero your rifle and practice with the ammo you want to hunt with.
One style of ammo / brand / bullet weight / etc...may have a different point of impact than the ammo you wish to hunt with.
Andy
I haven't hunted in decades, but I have friends who have been using whatever they can get their hands on, and I've told them exactly this, but they don't want to "waste ammo".

I hope I recently saved a barrel on a nice vintage rifle recently. A young man was showing me his new (old) rifle, a very nice Browning. He was so proud of it, he wanted me to shoot it. I did, but noticed that the ammo he loaded it with was 1943 USGI ball rounds. They were given to him for practice, to avoid wasting expensive hunting ammo.

We had a serious discussion about corrosive ammo, and what will happen to his really nice old rifle if he didn't clean it properly. I sure hope he listened.

I'm getting pretty accurate shots at about 200 yards with 150 grain 30-06, but that's with a bipod and stationary target and plenty of time to aim.

I'm sure it'd be an entirely different situation in the wild.
It will be different but it starts at the benchrest, 200yds is a good metric to start with good job. What is the group size your getting? Hunters have preferences on how they zero their scopes but you may want to consider zeroing high for a maximum point blank range zero.... an advantage in the wild when you dont have time to account for holdover.

One other thing I thought of while reading your replies, is the time it takes to even just locate the target in my scope. I had it zoomed in at 24x, which is an extremely narrow circle. I'd never for the life of me get lined up in time on a live target with that set up... so I need to practice lining up with my scope at probably half that zoom level.

agree?
You hunt with your scope at its lowest magnification, you only need your zoom if your target is over 150ish yds -and- you have time to dial it up. 24x is a lot of zoom for a hunting scope, the issue your dealing with here is a scopes Field Of View (FOV) where the wider the better, IMO the single most important aspect of a hunting scope. Nothing wrong with a lot of zoom on a hunting scope but that many scopes with that much zoom tend to have narrower FOVs.
For a few years I hunted with a scope with a poor/narrow FOV and it was essential to sight over the top of the scope at the deer as you raised the scope/rifle into position, it can be done. I got really good at it actually but eventually I upgraded specifically over the FOV issue. Ideally you want a scope with at least a 35ft FOV at it lowest magnification.

Note: I'm assuming your post is about hunting big game like deer or elk but scope preferences might vary for varmint hunters.

I am guilty of giving away ammo to friends , even with the current shortage.

With that said....
While I understand the notion of sharing...it might be best to hold on the ammo one has , it could be awhile before it gets back on the shelves...not to forget to mention at what price point.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads