JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had two GunVaults. In both cases, they fail to open sometimes on the first try. I'd say they each open 8 out of 10 times on the first try. They open on the second or third try, though sometimes they seem to need more. But obviously if the point is quick access, this is a huge fail. I have had the case where I've needed to go find the keys to get it open.

I have one of the big two-shelf ones and I had one of the small ones. Both have had the same issue.

By "fail to open" I mean I type in the correct keystrokes on top and I can hear the mechanism try to unlatch but it fails to open. Sure, they open with keys, but the point is (a) quick access, and (b) no access by kids, so keeping keys nearby defeats the purpose.

Is there a better quick-access GunVault-style safe? I have a real gun safe but want something bedside.

Is the mechanism lubricated? It seems to me that if the bolt is trying to open it is either binding or has insufficient power applied to move it. I have no experience with GunVault's design, but could a particularly large pistol cause there to be extra pressure on the bolt?

No, the pistol is back several inches. There's a u-shaped latch at the top and a spring provides forward tension on the door. Not a mechanic so I may not be describing exactly but essentially it should unlatch and the door pops forward.

There's no illusion of security here in the sense that someone with a pry bar could pop it open in a couple seconds...but as I said, it's more about keeping kids out.

They've very common...which is why I'm somewhat surprised by what I've experienced.

I've never had problems with my GunVaults. They pop right open, first time. I use the deluxe version, though, which has batteries for backup, but is plugged in with a power adapter.

My bet is that any moment your door doesn't open...BOOM...new batteries. And use lithium high-brow batteries. Same as with a magazine failure...BOOM...change the spring.

I had one that started eating batteries after a year. GunVault sent me a brand new one after just a call. The "new" one has gone 2 years w/no issues and opens every time. May want to call them and see what they are willing to do for you.

Mine SUCKS!
Purchased new.

Opened fine first 3 times.. Then would not open via finger code release.. Only mechanical key release..

Talked to a retailer at Costco and he said the coating they used in early models had a thicker coating around the loop that fits into the locking mechanism :mad:
(Pure BS, seeings how I paid $140 for it.. Yes I over paid, needed it for a car trip)

Anyhow, Ive just been using the key to open mine.. Ill try shaving off some material from the steel loop to see if the electric release works.. Otherwise it'll stick to manual key opening for me..

I decided to give them another try and see if it was a battery issue...got a deluxe which has the AC adapter.

Straight out of the box new...no sound. I'm sensing quality control is an issue at GV.

There are settings for beeps or no beeps. Did you read the owners manual? I, for one, like the beeps. But I seem to remember mine starting with no beeps, too. I had to change the setting so I'd get beeps.

When mine has done that, a battery change solves the issue. I've had mine for 3 years, opening at least twice daily, I'm on my third set of batteries. Changing batteries once a year isn't unreasonable I suppose.

I had one that started eating batteries after a year. GunVault sent me a brand new one after just a call. The "new" one has gone 2 years w/no issues and opens every time. May want to call them and see what they are willing to do for you.

This kind of thing is what I love about the American firearm business. Real customer service/stand behind your product. Leupold and and Henry Rifle jump to mind, but there are tons more. Now GunVault.

GunVault says to change battery every year regardless.

I have the 1000 series and mine only fails to open when I get happy entering the combo.

I've had it for a year now, on second battery as of three weeks ago. Easy to remember, every Father's Day change battery.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top