JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry about the length of this "novella," but after the last year or so of DNR horsepucky I feel the need to vent from the proverbial soapbox....

Since the fall of 2019, a DNR law enforcement officer has been regularly visiting the Basin (my family has lived on the basin road since WWII). At first locals were pleasant and helpful...I for one am extremely pro-LEO. That being said this gentleman has apparently made it his purpose in life to harrass public lands users, in particular local residents.

This spring at least eight new locations have been posted "no shooting" by DNR, most recently the clearcut area behind the gravel pit that requires a 15 minute hike to get in to. Local shooters had improved a shooting platform in a small fire footprint and placed long distance targets in safe locations. The DNR leo has repeatedly harassed users, and now it's posted. Lasted week DNR destroyed the shooting pads at the location...a petty action indeed.
This officer overtly threatened several people during covid closures, and this spring has threatened several shooters with "red flag" action against their gun rights.

Unfortunately every action has a reaction. Two small groups from the Sky Valley regularly go up in the Basin and clean the garbage that non-local shooters (and yes, it isn't locals leaving a mess) regularly deposit. The DNR doesn't clean things up...the only DNR "improvements" in the Sultan Basin are the Discover Pass and no shooting signs, and their ticket-writing personnel.
Anyway, you'll likely notice that things are a lot messier this year....because after several months of constant focused harassment by one officer the local volunteer "cleanup crews" have decided enough is enough. It grows tedious spending time cleaning up after others and paying dumping fees, only to have the state agency's LEO harrass and harangue anyone shooting on public lands, particularly if it's your "backyard."

I was recently informed "off the record" by an officer from another state agency that DNR decided they were going to do whatever it takes to gradually eliminate all public lands shooting in the Sultan Basin and several other relatively isolated locales. In other words, this is a purposeful and focused action from Olympia. One zealot in uniform has certainly made it more difficult for personnel from other agencies to do their jobs.
There's been no specific safety, natural or cultural resource management issues involved with this recent effort. No request for public comment was made either. The locations in question are well beyond the 100 yard no shooting zone along the Basin Rd...in fact the one spot is well over a mile away and behind a ridge.

Several individuals have written formal letters of complaint to DNR. Can't hurt for others to write questioning these actions. Of course, these days Olympia seems to do whatever it wants, since the state only answers to voters in urban Seattle. I hope Commissioner Franz has budgeted for more garbage collection crews in addition to her phoney efforts at forest mgmt and fire suppression.

Remember, your "backyard" may be next.

This is stated in jest only:
I'll buy those plastic no shooting signs for $5 a peice.

I personally feel that it's extremely irresponsible for a state agency to pollute our natural resources with non biodegradable materials such as posted warnings on plastic signs.

If I had a sign or 2 , I might be inclined to post it somewhere else. Like Tacoma, or maybe Rainier beach .

Sorry about the length of this "novella," but after the last year or so of DNR horsepucky I feel the need to vent from the proverbial soapbox....

Since the fall of 2019, a DNR law enforcement officer has been regularly visiting the Basin (my family has lived on the basin road since WWII). At first locals were pleasant and helpful...I for one am extremely pro-LEO. That being said this gentleman has apparently made it his purpose in life to harrass public lands users, in particular local residents.

This spring at least eight new locations have been posted "no shooting" by DNR, most recently the clearcut area behind the gravel pit that requires a 15 minute hike to get in to. Local shooters had improved a shooting platform in a small fire footprint and placed long distance targets in safe locations. The DNR leo has repeatedly harassed users, and now it's posted. Lasted week DNR destroyed the shooting pads at the location...a petty action indeed.
This officer overtly threatened several people during covid closures, and this spring has threatened several shooters with "red flag" action against their gun rights.

Unfortunately every action has a reaction. Two small groups from the Sky Valley regularly go up in the Basin and clean the garbage that non-local shooters (and yes, it isn't locals leaving a mess) regularly deposit. The DNR doesn't clean things up...the only DNR "improvements" in the Sultan Basin are the Discover Pass and no shooting signs, and their ticket-writing personnel.
Anyway, you'll likely notice that things are a lot messier this year....because after several months of constant focused harassment by one officer the local volunteer "cleanup crews" have decided enough is enough. It grows tedious spending time cleaning up after others and paying dumping fees, only to have the state agency's LEO harrass and harangue anyone shooting on public lands, particularly if it's your "backyard."

I was recently informed "off the record" by an officer from another state agency that DNR decided they were going to do whatever it takes to gradually eliminate all public lands shooting in the Sultan Basin and several other relatively isolated locales. In other words, this is a purposeful and focused action from Olympia. One zealot in uniform has certainly made it more difficult for personnel from other agencies to do their jobs.
There's been no specific safety, natural or cultural resource management issues involved with this recent effort. No request for public comment was made either. The locations in question are well beyond the 100 yard no shooting zone along the Basin Rd...in fact the one spot is well over a mile away and behind a ridge.

Several individuals have written formal letters of complaint to DNR. Can't hurt for others to write questioning these actions. Of course, these days Olympia seems to do whatever it wants, since the state only answers to voters in urban Seattle. I hope Commissioner Franz has budgeted for more garbage collection crews in addition to her phoney efforts at forest mgmt and fire suppression.

Remember, your "backyard" may be next.
This doesn't sound like any DNR LEO I've ever met.

Have you contacted the Regional Office of DNR and expressed your concerns to them?

Is Sultan Basin the actual name of the forest? Because I can't find any mention of a DNR forest with that name. I do see lots of DNR land around Index and Startup.

I think that DNR Regional area is the

South Puget Sound Region

[email protected]
360-825-1631, Fax: 360-825-1672
950 Farman Ave. N., Enumclaw, WA 98022-9282

Ask for the Recreation Mngr. Let us know what you find out.

Bill

Bill,

Northwest Region jurisdiction, out of the Sedro Woolley office. Several individuals have sent correspondence with no replies as of yet.

I work on the scientific end for a Federal resource management agency. WA DNR has shifted a great deal in the last couple of years, under the public radar anyway....it's been a topic of discussion agency-wise more than once.
As with you, over the years my interactions have always been very positive. This isn't a "personal" thing, however. Literally everyone I know locally has had or witnessed an unnecessarily over-the-top interaction over the last year or so. This "push" is fairly recent, and fairly consistent.

But I reckon the state knows what's best for us and we should go along with whatever they unilaterally decide regarding Washington's "public" lands...

Bill,

Northwest Region jurisdiction, out of the Sedro Woolley office. Several individuals have sent correspondence with no replies as of yet.

I work on the scientific end for a Federal resource management agency. WA DNR has shifted a great deal in the last couple of years, under the public radar anyway....it's been a topic of discussion agency-wise more than once.
As with you, over the years my interactions have always been very positive. This isn't a "personal" thing, however. Literally everyone I know locally has had or witnessed an unnecessarily over-the-top interaction over the last year or so. This "push" is fairly recent, and fairly consistent.

But I reckon the state knows what's best for us and we should go along with whatever they unilaterally decide regarding Washington's "public" lands...
Okay, got it.

Northwest Region

[email protected]

360-856-3500, Fax: 360-856-2150
919 N. Township St., Sedro Woolley, WA 98284-9384

I wouldn't mind spending a little time visiting and chat sometime. My suspicions are in line with your comments and I'd like to converse more about this. What ya doing on June 4th and/or 5th?

I'm traveling up to the Elbe Hills SF and the Tahoma SF on the 4th. I have a meeting with the DNR Rec Mngr at 9 AM to tour 3 shooting sites and discuss possible improvements for public safety and shooter stewardship involvement. After that, about noon-ish, I'll be truckin up to Darrington to camp and join @HighlandLofts for a cleanup at the Darrington Pit on Saturday. Any opportunity to meet somewhere along the way? Or, care to join us for the camp and cleanup?

Phoneguy,

The PUD controls the area immediately surrounding the reservoir (Spada Lake) above Olney Pass. Below Olney Pass is a mix of county and PUD ROW's, private timberland, a very small amount of USFS, and (predominantly) WA DNR lands.

A DNR LEO from the Sedro Woolley office has been working the DNR lands with increased frequency the last year and a half.

SnoCo PUD contracts with the WDFW to provide law enforcement patrols in the reservoir portion of the Sultan Basin. WDFW also has agreements with private timberland interests to enforce no shooting rules in specific areas.

While it will never be admitted to by management, it is not uncommon for 'power people' to impose their ideals on members of the public. Note, the public do it with the cliche of "I pay your salary". But they don't bubblegum about roads, freeways and other infrastructure! If you peruse the US CFRs there is little you can do on 'public' lands that doesn't warrant some type of privacy intrusion. Check the state regs and proceed from there. Someone just may overstepping their 'authority'!

I have been wondering about this place. Is this the same little gravel pit dirt bike and atv people use? If so my father took me there as a young boy to learn to ride a dirtbike. Ive been back a few times over the years just looking around, and I remember it to be a great little spot for safe shooting. Please keep us posted, I am very interested in a Zekes cheeseburger and a great place to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top