JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Wasserman Schultz Calls for Background Checks on All Gun Purchases

Read more: Wasserman Schultz Calls for Background Checks on All Gun Purchases - FoxNews.com

The incoming head of the Democratic National Committee says she supports background checks for all gun purchases, and Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., says she'll co-sponsor a bill in Congress to enact a new law requiring them.

Wasserman Schultz announced her support for the measure at a Miami rally held by Mayors Against Illegal Guns. The Hill reports the Florida congresswoman, who is also set to take the helm at the DNC, told rally goers she was "outraged" by loopholes that allow buyers to purchase guns without a background check.

"While we likely cannot end all gun violence, we certainly can do much, much better," Wasserman Schultz said. "We have laws on the books designed to keep guns out of the hands of those that should not have them. We just need to close the loopholes and improve the information available to law enforcement."

So she plans to support the Fix Gun Checks Act Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., plans to introduce later this year. That legislation would require unlicensed gun dealers to perform background checks whenever someone buys a gun, even at gun shows. Previously, only licensed gun sellers have had to perform the checks.

Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., has introduced a companion bill in the Senate that the National Rifle Association panned as a government overreach that ignores due process."... although Sen. Schumer touts his bill primarily as one to change the background check process, it would also greatly increase the number of people who are prohibited from possessing any firearm, with little regard for every American's right to due process before being stripped of a fundamental civil right," the NRA said in a statement on its website.

Wasserman Schultz is a close friend of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., who was critically injured in a shooting spree that targeted her Congress on Your corner event in Tucson on January 8th. That mass shooting led to calls for new gun legislation.

The gun allegedly used in the rampage was purchased legally after a background check was performed. Officials say Jared Lee Loughner, who was charged in the shootings, bought the gun legally despite a questionable mental background.

Read more: Wasserman Schultz Calls for Background Checks on All Gun Purchases - FoxNews.com

I keep reading posts from the lefties here on the forum that we have nothing to worry about from this administration in so far as our 2nd amendment rights are concerned so you must be a hater!

Glad to see all the other issues facing our country have been solved, and that we have enough money to spend enforcing yet another layer of laws beating down our 2nd Amendment rights. What's next? Wait, don't answer that, I'm not sure I could take it.

The gun allegedly used in the rampage was purchased legally after a background check was performed. Officials say Jared Lee Loughner, who was charged in the shootings, bought the gun legally despite a questionable mental background.

Even if you bypass the constitutionality of their stated goals, this statement in underlines the logical fallacy of their approach. More background checks would accomplish nothing significant. It boggles the mind.

I keep reading posts from the lefties here on the forum that we have nothing to worry about from this administration in so far as our 2nd amendment rights are concerned so you must be a hater!

In regards to federal laws pertaining to gun control matters the simple fact is our rights as citizens have been expanded under the Obama administration.

Blah.
If you cant dazzle em with brilliance baffle em with BS.

Blah.
Remember you are dealing with democrats, the fact that they care is what matters. Nothing they do is required to work.

any more Blah? Not every Lefty is a freaking gun-hater. I'm sure a lot of you Righties aren't... well, what are you not... xenophobes?

Would it be fair to say, "OH NOES ANOTHER REPUBLICAN DESTROYING OUR CIVIL LIBERTIES!!!" because of this?:
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...-bill-allow-guns-public-college-campuses.html

Apparently, one data point suffices for reality. Now I know why I avoid these areas of forums! :D

Blah.

Blah.

any more Blah? Not every Lefty is a freaking gun-hater. I'm sure a lot of you Righties aren't... well, what are you not... xenophobes?

Xenophobes? sorry that word doesn't fit when we are only talking about ideologies. Often people use the word Racism when they should use the word Xenophobia but I digress.

Would it be fair to say, "OH NOES ANOTHER REPUBLICAN DESTROYING OUR CIVIL LIBERTIES!!!" because of this?:
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...-bill-allow-guns-public-college-campuses.html

Yes, when the shoe fits we must in fact call out each and every incident from the Republicans or the Democrats, the reason you may see more worry about Democrats at the moment is because of the Democrat steering the ship, we must remember that no one can sign into law the bills coming out of congress but Obama. I have a zero compromise ideal. Compromise and Commonsense are used as buzzwords when in fact they mean only one side doing the giving and the other side doing the taking.

Apparently, one data point suffices for reality. Now I know why I avoid these areas of forums! :D

One point here, one point there, soon you reach 100 percent. As my father used to say about tax increases, "All they are asking for is another nickel, but they don't seem to understand there are only 20 nickels in a dollar" And again I refer back to my zero tolerance for gun control "compromise".

In regards to federal laws pertaining to gun control matters the simple fact is our rights as citizens have been expanded under the Obama administration.

How so? The only example I can think of is the right to carry in the national parks, which I believe was actually a Bush initiative...

Oh, oh, and a racist !!..........:s0001:

I'm an equal opportunity hater. Try to take my liberty and you're in
:s0155: Seems to me there used to be a flag......coiled snake...four words....yeah. The desire to curtail the freedoms we are all guaranteed is not restricted to any political party. The acquisition of power demands limiting the avenues of opposition, and acquisition of power is what the politicos live for.

In all fairness to the lefties, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla. is a member of Congress and is not a member of the Obama administration.

How so? The only example I can think of is the right to carry in the national parks, which I believe was actually a Bush initiative...

What, nothing? If you're going to make claims, be prepared to back them up. I wasn't necessarily saying what you said was wrong, I was simply saying I couldn't figure out what you were referring to. Now I'm not sure you did either...

In all fairness to the lefties, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla. is a member of Congress and is not a member of the Obama administration.

Riiiiiight, she's just the incoming head of the Democratic National Committee.......:s0131:

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads