JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Without trying to be either reactionary or revolutionary, the political side of this has been highlighted by both parties, and is as plain as the nose on your face.
Party planks reveal the agenda of the party in general, and as such, the leader of said party is bound to champion those causes.

The Democrats have stated specifically that theirs includes reinstating the AWB, and so far, their intent has been to make it PERMANENT.
<broken link removed>
Firearms. We recognize that the individual right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we will preserve Americans' Second Amendment right to own and use firearms. We believe that the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation. We understand the terrible consequences of gun violence; it serves as a reminder that life is fragile, and our time here is limited and precious. We believe in an honest, open national conversation about firearms. We can focus on effective enforcement of existing laws, especially strengthening our background check system, and we can work together to enact commonsense improvements&#8212;like reinstating the assault weapons ban and closing the gun show loophole&#8212;so that guns do not fall into the hands of those irresponsible, law-breaking few.
(emphasis mine)

The republicans on the other hand, insist on NO AWB, and NO LIMITS on magazine capacity. Reciprocity for CHL holders, no licensing or registration of/for arms and/or owners.
Here is the 2ndA statement as posted on the GOP website here:
We The People: A Restoration of Constitutional Government - GOP
The Second Amendment: Our Right to Keep and Bear Arms (Top)

We uphold the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, a right which antedated the Constitution and was solemnly confirmed by the Second Amendment. We acknowledge, support, and defend the law-abiding citizen's God-given right of self-defense. We call for the protection of such fundamental individual rights recognized in the Supreme Court's decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago affirming that right, and we recognize the individual responsibility to safely use and store firearms.
This also includes the right to obtain and store ammunition without registration.

We support the fundamental right to self-defense wherever a law-abiding citizen has a legal right to be, and we support federal legislation that would expand the exercise of that right by allowing those with state-issued carry permits to carry firearms in any state that issues such permits to its own residents.

Gun ownership is responsible citizenship, enabling Americans to defend their homes and communities. We condemn frivolous lawsuits against gun manufacturers and oppose federal licensing or registration of law-abiding gun owners.

We oppose legislation that is intended to restrict our Second Amendment rights by limiting the capacity of clips or magazines or otherwise restoring the ill-considered Clinton gun ban.

We condemn the reckless actions associated with the operation known as "Fast and Furious," conducted by the Department of Justice, which resulted in the murder of a U.S. Border Patrol Agent and others on both sides of the border. We applaud the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives in holding the current Administration's Attorney General in contempt of Congress for his refusal to cooperate with their investigation into that debacle.

We oppose the improper collection of firearms sales information in the four southern border states, which was imposed without congressional authority.
(emphasis and parsing mine)

For gun owners, the choice between the parties is as clear cut as can be.

Lefties can argue about what's been done all they want, but the future is less than 2 months away, and the two parties have painted a very clear picture of what they believe that future should look like.

I implore gun owners to vote accordingly.
That's our future they are talking about.

That's the same thing that SCOTUS said. As for "Assault Weapons", that is yet to be decided in California, DC and couple of other places (likely it will be just one that will escalate all the way back to SCOTUS). That's in theory. In practice DNC platform means absolutely nothing.

When Barack Obama was running for office, his campaign website had under Urban policy that he was supporting reinstatement of the expired Assault Weapons Ban. Once he got elected, that same page became official page of the White House, in the .gov tld. Some time later that message about Assault Weapons got removed... and never came back in his 4 years of office :)

Someone realized it was a losing theme for re-election, so they removed it, but haven't forgotten it.

Anyone that likes their freedom and their firearms, you just cannot vote for the democrats, at all..they need to leave. If you like nanny government, restricted firearms and hyper inflation...well, the democrats are for you.

Don't like republicians? Fine, vote libertarian...Gary Johnson is a good strong candidate and would make a good pres. IMHO: If there were any (and their probably will be) Gary Johnson's candidate's for the US Supreme Court would be better than romney's or Ob's

So far the only one of the two candidates to enact gun legislation is Romney and now everyone wants us to believe that he wont do the same thing as president. He has always been Republican that part has never changed. Who is drinking the cool aid?

James Ruby

So far the only one of the two candidates to enact gun legislation is Romney and now everyone wants us to believe that he wont do the same thing as president. He has always been Republican that part has never changed. Who is drinking the cool aid?

James Ruby

He won't. Read The Second Amendment.

<broken link removed>

Mitt Romney said:
As the Supreme Court recently reaffirmed, the Second Amendment protects one of the American people's most basic and fundamental individual rights: "the Right to Keep and Bear Arms." The Second Amendment is essential to the functioning of our free society. Mitt strongly supports the right of all law-abiding Americans to exercise their constitutionally protected right to own firearms and to use them for lawful purposes, including hunting, recreational shooting, self-defense, and the protection of family and property.

Like the majority of Americans, Mitt does not believe that the United States needs additional laws that restrict the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. He believes in the safe and responsible ownership and use of firearms and the right to lawfully manufacture and sell firearms and ammunition. He also recognizes the extraordinary number of jobs and other economic benefits that are produced by hunting, recreational shooting, and the firearms and ammunition industry, not the least of which is to fund wildlife and habitat conservation.

Mitt will enforce the laws already on the books and punish, to the fullest extent of the law, criminals who misuse firearms to commit crimes. But he does not support adding more laws and regulations that do nothing more than burden law-abiding citizens while being ignored by criminals. Mitt will also provide law enforcement with the proper and effective resources they need to deter, apprehend, and punish criminals.

As governor of Massachusetts, Mitt was proud to support legislation that expanded the rights of gun owners. He worked hard to advance the ability of law-abiding citizens to purchase and own firearms, while opposing liberal desires to create bureaucracy intended to burden gun owners and sportsmen. As governor, he also designated May 7th as "The Right to Bear Arms Day" in Massachusetts to honor law-abiding citizens and their right to "use firearms in defense of their families, persons, and property for all lawful purposes, including common defense."

As president, Mitt will work to expand and enhance access and opportunities for Americans to hunt and shoot. He also will defend the right of individuals to protect their families, homes, and property, and he will fight the battle on all fronts to protect and promote the Second Amendment.

Mitt Romney said:
No constitutional protection is more often ignored, distorted, or disdained, than the individual right to keep and bear arms.

^Said in 2009.

Anyone that likes their freedom and their firearms, you just cannot vote for the democrats, at all..they need to leave. If you like nanny government, restricted firearms and hyper inflation...well, the democrats are for you.

That about sums it up.

Romney on Wikipedia
During his 2002 gubernatorial campaign, Romney had been a supporter of the federal assault weapons ban, and had also said he believed "in the rights of those who hunt to responsibly own and use firearms."[97] On July 1, 2004, Romney signed a permanent state ban on assault weapons, saying at the signing ceremony for the new law, "Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."[98] The law extended a temporary measure that had been in effect since 1998 and covered weapons such as the AK-47, Uzi, and MAC-10.[98] The same law also modified some other aspects of general firearms licensing regulations.[98]

Sure sounds like gun control to me with Romney's name on it.

People say he wont enact gun control as the president and I say his track record is the best indication of his future actions.

James Ruby

TAMPA, Fla. - Delegates to the Republican National Convention on Tuesday will approve the most pro-gun platform ever, staking out support for national concealed carry reciprocity and opposing domestic restrictions on ammunition and United Nations interference in gun sales.

"It's probably the most supportive and detailed on Second Amendment issues ever," said a gun-rights advocate who attended the GOP platform committee meetings last week.

Besides giving the National Rifle Association and other Second Amendment groups victories on their issues, the platform is also a slap at several Obama initiatives, including the Fast & Furious scandal, his administration's consideration of a ban on high-capacity bullet magazines and talk of reviving the assault weapons ban and negotiations in the United Nations over a treaty to regulate small arms sales.

GOP set to OK most pro-gun platform ever | WashingtonExaminer.com

This is all talk and nothing has been done by Romney to support the 2nd accept to make a lot promises - really they arent promisess they are simply words at this point and so far Romney has not been too good at keeping his word accept to gather voters. He has outsourced american job's, lied about his interactions with Bain Capital and again enacted more anti gun legislation than Obama has. All presedentials candidates lie to get elected - Romney is no better.

Now you guys want to beleive him. Or is it simply that you dont trust Obama so that anyone else would do better. I am not a great fan of Obama but I will stick with him before I will bet on Romney.

James Ruby

Since O is such an honest and nice guy, why don't you call him up and ask to see his college transcripts?

Romney on Wikipedia
During his 2002 gubernatorial campaign, Romney had been a supporter of the federal assault weapons ban, and had also said he believed "in the rights of those who hunt to responsibly own and use firearms."[97] On July 1, 2004, Romney signed a permanent state ban on assault weapons, saying at the signing ceremony for the new law, "Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts. These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."[98] The law extended a temporary measure that had been in effect since 1998 and covered weapons such as the AK-47, Uzi, and MAC-10.[98] The same law also modified some other aspects of general firearms licensing regulations.[98]

Sure sounds like gun control to me with Romney's name on it.

People say he wont enact gun control as the president and I say his track record is the best indication of his future actions.

James Ruby

I provided a quote said in 2009 from Mr. Mitt Romney which you have apparently chosen to ignore which sort of debunks a 2002 Wikipedia article.

In one hand you have a guy who calls everything an AK-47 (he has openly said civilians should not have any firearm of this type) and promises to go after bans etc in his second term. In the other hand you have someone who has plainly laid out a pro-gun mindset.

If you think it is a better idea to support the one who is promising to go after your gun rights, bow to the UN, and ban semi-autos, well then, I suppose you are free to make that choice.

Out of curiousity, how do you consider Mr. Mitt Romney, "Owned" in that video?
I don't. But apparently, whoever uploaded it did.
But I don't know why.
I thought he was pretty darned clear about the law he signed (that a dem controlled legislature wrote) and how things have changed that make laws like the Brady Bill obsolete.

Basically, he's advocating for current federal law, and the party platform (which is what I thought this thread was about) re-affirms what many of us here want to continue to see, or their recommended changes made. Like reciprocity.

I don't. But apparently, whoever uploaded it did.
But I don't know why.
I thought he was pretty darned clear about the law he signed (that a dem controlled legislature wrote) and how things have changed that make laws like the Brady Bill obsolete.

Basically, he's advocating for current federal law, and the party platform (which is what I thought this thread was about) re-affirms what many of us here want to continue to see, or their recommended changes made. Like reciprocity.

I think he was pretty clear as well.

I wasn't sure which view of that video you had since you did not write anything with the posting - figured I'd ask.

I think he was pretty clear as well.

I wasn't sure which view of that video you had since you did not write anything with the posting - figured I'd ask.
That's okay, I see you're fairly new here. ;)
Let me introduce myself KW. I'm Jamie and I like to punch holes in progressive-liberal arguments that you could drive a truck through.

One of these days I'll quit with the easy stuff and move on to things more difficult.
But for now, this is kinda fun!
Have a great day!

As far as the 2nd amendment goes, I distrust both of the primary candidates equally.
I do believe that gun control won't be popular with either mouth piece until their 2nd term. So, the simple solution is to deny both of them a 2nd term in office.

This election, more than any other that I can remember, reminds me of that old saying about beer.

So many choices, so little difference.

Going to throw this out there, but I am for a Magazine Capacity law. Capped at 30, not 10.

These companies introducing these 50/75/100/150 round mags are only selling to a limited market already. Anybody who is into barbie AR-15/call of duty/nutjobs is their clientele.

James Ruby

Never happen with a republican congress But you go ahead and vote for bho as thier are no words

It is true this is a gun rights / information board and hence the request to stay on topic is reasonable - It is however my opinion that there is more about electing the next president than just gun rights ( enough said about that ). I support gun rights and have been around guns all my life. We are talking about who will best support our 2nd amendment. I would like very much for the our gun rights to be implemeted as the republicans have said - do I beleive it will happen and in order for it to happen the federal government would have to supersede state rights. Do you really think that CA, IL, or MA will accept universal reciprocity? Oregon as a state doesnt accept any others states CW permits as it is. To me that is a pipe dream. To me what the republican party wants will never happen - it may get better but I am not expecting it to, and actually expect the republicans to back track on thier position. So in the future if I am wrong, Romney gets elected and no gun control is enacted under his watch you all can come back and tell me I was wrong. I use my real name, I do not hide behind a alias so you know who I am.

Gun control under Obama scares me and as I have stated before on this thread - when and if my guns our outlawed I will become a criminal. This election is one that I have thought on very long and very hard. I am looking forward to the debates. We all will see who lies better.

James Ruby

So far the only one of the two candidates to enact gun legislation is Romney

But as you can see from the link I posted Barry voted NO on the Commerce in Arms act, but the Republicans slapped him down:

Some of the Democrats voting No on this issue are the headlining members of the Gun Control Hall of Shame: Joe Biden, Barbara Boxer, Hillary Clinton, Diane Feinstein, Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, Barack Obama, Chuck Schumer

Do you really have doubts where he stands on this issue ?

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top