JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I was cruising around on the net last night and found some info regarding ballistics....

357 magnum @ muzzle = ( in ft. lbs. ) 585
7.62 @ 500 yards = 904
50 BMG @ 1000 yards = 4068

I think being hit with a .50BMG wouldn't just knock you on your butt...but it would probably still kill you (breaking your neck, shattering ribs into your lungs and heart, etc.) even if it didn't penetrate. 50BMG is way too much bullet to be stopped by any type of personally worn armor...

If hit with a 50BMG the body armor will likely assist in turning you into a red misty paist.
Silver Hand

If hit with a 50BMG the body armor will likely assist in turning you into a red misty paist.
Silver Hand

I highly doubt that any "red misty paist" of a humans torso would result.

Here is a link to what a .50 cal. bullet does to armor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Acklvisec

The armor does slow down and disperse the energy, but the bullet, or fragments still goes through, all the way to the back side of the vest, and I guess that the chunks of ceramic going through a body would make the wound worse, I still think that any "red misty paist" is immprobable..

Note that the vest isn't shredded, and there is one hole in the lining of the back of the vest.

I highly doubt that any "red misty paist" of a humans torso would result.

Here is a link to what a .50 cal. bullet does to armor:

50 BMG vs bullet proof vest - YouTube

The armor does slow down and disperse the energy, but the bullet, or fragments still goes through, all the way to the back side of the vest, and I guess that the chunks of ceramic going through a body would make the wound worse, I still think that any "red misty paist" is immprobable..

Note that the vest isn't shredded, and there is one hole in the lining of the back of the vest.

Rick4070 you haven't killed much have you?

With a person inside the vest, after being shot with a 50BMG - open the vest and look inside tell me what you find.
Silver Hand

Extrordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

It is neither here nor there if I have or have not killed someone.

Show me some extraordinary evidence that the .50 Cal. BMG bullet will turn someone into a "red misty paist...

And, show me some evidence that someone wearing a vest was ever shot with a .50 cal. BMG bullet.

Tell me how many people YOU personally have seen shot with a .50 Cal. BMG bullet while wearing a vest.

Extrordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

It is neither here nor there if I have or have not killed someone.

Show me some extraordinary evidence that the .50 Cal. BMG bullet will turn someone into a "red misty paist...

And, show me some evidence that someone wearing a vest was ever shot with a .50 cal. BMG bullet.

Tell me how many people YOU personally have seen shot with a .50 Cal. BMG bullet while wearing a vest.

Rick4070 - My question to you was direct!
I don't think you have ever watched a bullet pass through living tissue or have been close enough to the aftermath to comment on this subject. 'Link to this' - I have. Now please stop.
Silver Hand

Rick4070 - My question to you was direct!
I don't think you have ever watched a bullet pass through living tissue or have been close enough to the aftermath to comment on this subject.

Does about 20 deer, several elk, and numerous other critters being shot with calibers ranging from .22 LR to .338 Win. Mag. over the last 50 years count, not counting probably over a hundred deer and elk shot by others ???

Because if that was your question, yes, I have indeed seen the results of bullets passing through living tissue, many, many times.

In deer sized animals, I have never seen any one of them disintegrate, even with a 225 gr. .338 bullet throught the chest cavity.

Just a somewhat larger exit wound compared to the entrance wound.

Even a coyote doesn't come apart when hit with a larger caliber bullet, however, a .22-250 shooting hollow points does do considerable damage...

Of course, smaller animals like rock chucks, rabbits, crows, etc. will come apart when using high velocity frangible bullets, but that is not what the topic is.

People think the .50 BMG is some sort of magic caliber that will rip flesh of when merely passing by, will "gain energy" the further down range it gets, and will make people literally come apart when hit, probably due to that "Afghanistan Sniper" video that was on Youtube, that in reality was a pirated copy of a Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunters video: "Varmint Safari II," where rock chucks being shot with a .243 A.I. were coming apart.

There were a lot of people snookered by that video, until the true video was shown to have the same terrain, rocks trees, etc.

Does about 20 deer, several elk, and numerous other critters being shot with calibers ranging from .22 LR to .338 Win. Mag. over the last 50 years count, not counting probably over a hundred deer and elk shot by others ???

Because if that was your question, yes, I have indeed seen the results of bullets passing through living tissue, many, many times.

In deer sized animals, I have never seen any one of them disintegrate, even with a 225 gr. .338 bullet throught the chest cavity.

Just a somewhat larger exit wound compared to the entrance wound.

Even a coyote doesn't come apart when hit with a larger caliber bullet, however, a .22-250 shooting hollow points does do considerable damage...

Of course, smaller animals like rock chucks, rabbits, crows, etc. will come apart when using high velocity frangible bullets, but that is not what the topic is.

People think the .50 BMG is some sort of magic caliber that will rip flesh of when merely passing by, will "gain energy" the further down range it gets, and will make people literally come apart when hit, probably due to that "Afghanistan Sniper" video that was on Youtube, that in reality was a pirated copy of a Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunters video: "Varmint Safari II," where rock chucks being shot with a .243 A.I. were coming apart.

There were a lot of people snookered by that video, until the true video was shown to have the same terrain, rocks trees, etc.

50 bmg vs. deer.mpeg - YouTube
Silver Hand

Rick4070, I never watched the videos you posted, Oh well, It doesn't matter anyway. You are the god of your own imagination and need to prove yourself to the internet. You can prove anything as long as you have a key board. Personally I think you should wright a book about your life experiences. Has anyone ever suggested that to you before?
I am very impressed but with as many kills that you have made you can still argue the subject.
Silver Hand

Funny thing, Silver Hand, YOU post a video of a deer being shot with a .50 Cal., and when you are asked what load was used, you don't have a clue.

I post another video from the same site showing that the deer shot with a .50 Cal. wasn't blown apart, and you won't even look at it.

As for my imagination, well, being as YOU can come up with NO evidence as to a .50 BMG blowing people apart, how does MY imagination even enter into it???

I am asking for proof of something extraordinary, it is not on my shoulders to prove it won't happen, it is on your shoulders to prove it CAN, and so far you have not shown me anything to back up the bull that a .50 Cal. BMG bullet will rip skin off by merely passing close by, or to blow someone into pieces.

Like I said, come up with some REAL evidence of a military .50 cal. projectile blowing someone into a "red misty paist," and I'll be more than happy to look at it.

As for the number of my "kills," yes, over the last 50 years, I've taken a number of critters, not near as many as some who really do a lot of hunting, but being as I killed my first deer at 11, and hunted pretty much every year since, I guess I've put a bit of meat in the freezer.

Again, simon99, riot, anyone, show me that a .50 Cal. bullet gains energy the further down range it is, that it will rip off skin or other body parts by passing close by, that the "pressure wave" can do damage if passing close by,or that it will cause a person to be blown apart.

Funny thing, Silver Hand, YOU post a video of a deer being shot with a .50 Cal., and when you are asked what load was used, you don't have a clue.

I post another video from the same site showing that the deer shot with a .50 Cal. wasn't blown apart, and you won't even look at it.

As for my imagination, well, being as YOU can come up with NO evidence as to a .50 BMG blowing people apart, how does MY imagination even enter into it???

I am asking for proof of something extraordinary, it is not on my shoulders to prove it won't happen, it is on your shoulders to prove it CAN, and so far you have not shown me anything to back up the bull that a .50 Cal. BMG bullet will rip skin off by merely passing close by, or to blow someone into pieces.

Like I said, come up with some REAL evidence of a military .50 cal. projectile blowing someone into a "red misty paist," and I'll be more than happy to look at it.

As for the number of my "kills," yes, over the last 50 years, I've taken a number of critters, not near as many as some who really do a lot of hunting, but being as I killed my first deer at 11, and hunted pretty much every year since, I guess I've put a bit of meat in the freezer.

You know, as far as military applications go, that there are several different 50 caliber rounds right? Comparing any hunting round to what is available in 50 BMG chambering's is laughable at best.

As I mentioned in an earlier post -
7.62 @ 500 yards = 904

You know, as far as military applications go, that there are several different 50 caliber rounds right? Comparing any hunting round to what is available in 50 BMG chambering's is laughable at best.

As I mentioned in an earlier post -
7.62 @ 500 yards = 904

Yep, and it starts out with something like 12,000 ft.lbs. at its muzzle velocity.

So, I guess that blows your theory of it gaining energy as it goes further down range, doesn't it?

Yes, I am aware that there are several different military loads for the .50 BMG cartridge, in fact, I think that I mentioned the Raufoss cartridge a while back.

And, IIRC, we were talking about military applications, as to ripping skin of by passing close by, or blowing a person apart.

Silver Hand posts a video of a deer being shot, trying to back up his position that a .50 will blow a person into a "red misty paist," and can't even say WHAT bullet was used to shoot that deer.

I'll bet it wasn't a military round at all.

And then, simon, you say that comparing a hunting bullet to a military bullet is laughable?

Comparing the effects of a hunting bullet to a military bullet is exactly what Silver Hand was doing, you know?

And yes, it IS laughable, and Silver Hand posted it to try and back up his position...

Come on simon, back up your opinion that a bullet "gains energy" the further it goes down range, and back up that it will rip skin or body parts by merely passing by.

Show me the physics of how a bullet "gains energy" as it slows down at long range.

I am kind of disappointed with this site, I THOUGHT that there was going to be some people who had some knowledge about the .50 BMG, cartridge, exterior and terminal ballistics and knew that the blown apart, skin ripping, pressure wave damage was bull, but I find that some of you have fallen for the ignorant misinformation out there that is passed as fact, and really think that the .50 cal. cartridge shoots some sort of super bullet, when in reality, it behaves just as other bullets do.

I also find it interesting how several of you who have posted in this thread post no evidence and move goalposts.

Post some real evidence, please.

Last Edited:
Man is this guy spread out.
Silver Hand

That's the best you can come up with?

No evidence to back up your "opinion?"

No links to info?

Getting caught with your pants down in regards to posting a video of a deer being shot with a hunting bullet of some type, and trying to imply that a military bullet would do the same thing, must be humiliating.

Yeah, that's what I figured, can't back up your bull with facts.

And, I'll ask again, show me how a bullet can "gain energy" as it goes down range, slower and slower.

How about you, Silver Hand, do you agree with simon, and think that a bullet can "gain energy" as it travels down range?

Do you really think that a .50 cal. bullet will rip skin off, or remove body parts by merely passing close by, when it won't even rip a flimsy paper target to shreds?

Direct questions Silver Hand, no sidestepping.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top