JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's cool stuff, but in a SHTF deal you're going to really stand out if you wear tacticool kit. All the cool-guy chest plates won't protect your legs and (generally) groin area from those "in the know" on wear to aim at on an armored opponent(s).

It's on my list of things, but it isn't at the top of my priorities... Yet.

There's thin, light, affordable Level II armor which you can easily conceal and wear in our climate up here. Like anything else, its value is maximized when nobody knows you've got it. So no, I'd never consider buying it.:rolleyes:

I don't think it's crazy to add a little more defense to all the offensive capability we're always talking about here.
"For what profit it a man, if he dumps his whole mag, but gains a new hole?"
Or words to that effect.

At just shy of 2 minutes in, he says he thinks an unsupported plate is a tougher test than a steel-backed plate. That's exactly wrong: the floating plate can recoil and spread the impulse out over a longer time better than a rigid-backed test. It may not make as much difference with a plate as it does with a soft vest, but you can get a vest to fail easily if you wrap it tight over something hard like a telephone pole before shooting it.

IIRC it's a clay dummy, not ballistic gel that backs up the armor in the NIJ test. Any dent in the clay less than 1½" counts as a passing grade. (Inch and a half? Ouch!)

The pistol plates do look cool, and might be a great alternative to a standard trauma plate. If I had infinite resources to throw at it, that is.

In a previous life I had to develop some composite armor, for a multi-role application that was unique and....

That Dyneema (or any other brand of UHMWPE fiber) is absolutely amazing, head and shoulders above what aramids like Kevlar can do. Since the whole DKX package floats, it must be almost completely polyethylene, which has some drawbacks. If you were willing to trade off for added weight, you could get better performance against penetrators like a steel-core 30-06 or even 50BMG. Thin, small ceramic plates on top of the Dyneema only stand up to one hit each, but they'll mess up even the toughest penetrator and allow the polyethylene to do its job. The trick is to trade off the size of those ceramic plates so they just stop the worst threat you're anticipating - something like 1" squares of ceramic for 7.62X51, and maybe 2" or 3" squares for 50BMG. Most of the thickness is still the soft vest underneath.

That way you don't have the weight or "turtle" effect of Chobham armor, but it gives you a big boost over the protection level of Dyneema alone.

I don't think that's true about 50BMG. If it had enough momentum to flatten the target, it would flatten the shooter too. Beyond preventing penetration, the main requirement for armor is that the impulse is spread out enough in area and in time that it allows the body to react and recoil, absorbing the blow.

I don't think that's true about 50BMG. If it had enough momentum to flatten the target, it would flatten the shooter too. Beyond preventing penetration, the main requirement for armor is that the impulse is spread out enough in area and in time that it allows the body to react and recoil, absorbing the blow.

I think being hit with a .50BMG wouldn't just knock you on your butt...but it would probably still kill you (breaking your neck, shattering ribs into your lungs and heart, etc.) even if it didn't penetrate. 50BMG is way too much bullet to be stopped by any type of personally worn armor...

Ha, I hear you.
I saw years ago some proprietary metal that'd incorporate aluminum with steel though it was homogenous, not layered. If memory serves, like an inch (and it was light) would stop a .50 but the "divot" was like a graph of how time/space is warped.. it was like a 4-5" dagger or spike.

I agree, the 50 is a massive hunk of 'Burning Luv' I've seen it penetrate lots of dirt and exit the far end of a berm, there is no Personal Ballistic Protection from that

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top