JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
DIY SHOOT-N-SEE Targets

Basically:

1) Cover paper with shelf liner or clear tape;
2) Spray paint either use up old cans or <1$ Paint @ HD, Wally world or ?.
3) Allow paint to completely dry, cut to the desired size, embellish.

[NOTE] I don't recommend LOWES 99 cent paint it doesn't dry as well as the others.

XAz9mNb.png

I prefer paint colors other than black, (I lose my sites in a black target)
Matte finish is easier to see.

9¼" x 11" targets

I like to use a black felt marker, draw a cross the use a compass to draw circles 1 inch apart

7"x7" targets you can make a template and spray a cross on it or use a marker

7" plates I use a compass to draw circles 1 inch apart and put a smiley face sticker in the middle

Tool Bench Clear Packaging Tape, 45-yd. Rolls dollar tree $1

22x28 poster board 69 cents dollar tree

Con-Tact Quick Cover Clear Self-Adhesive Shelf Liners, 18x54" dollar tree $1

20pcs. 7" plates (1 package of 20) Dollar Tree =$1

¾" 108pcs. gold/red foil smiley face stickers Dollar Tree $1

1 can spray paint Lowes, HD, Wally-world $1

7" plates

$2.00 40 plates (two packages of 20) 2x$1 =$2 Dollar Tree

$1.00 1 can spray paint $1 Lowes, HD, Wally world

$ .80 1/5 roll packing tape Lowes $4/5 = $.8

$3.80

$ .20 marker

$4.00 /40 =$ .10 per plate

4 x $ .69 Poster Boards, 22x28" = $2.76

3 x $1.00 Shelf Liners, 18x54" = $3.00

2 x $1.00 Spray paint (8 sq ft per can) = $2

= $7.76 for 4 22x28 sheets

7"x7" targets

$7.76 / 48 = $ .16 ea

9¼" x 11" targets

$7.76 / 24 = $ .32 ea

Step 1, cover the paper with clear adhesive plastic or tape
DSAX5hv.png

kkzBzsB.png

3IKBVD2.png

Step 2 Paint and allow to dry

u81y3DB.png
ztIufGd.png

Step 3 cut to desired size/shape;

Step 4 Embellish as desired;

The quickest and easiest is to just a highly visible sticker in the middle.

9mmaTjW.png

jWrydEe.png

i1qqbu3.png

Tcddszp.png

rqb3Qvs.png

VZlQCw1.png

sxclRut.png

These holographic Sheets from Dollar tree, 20 sheets for $1 work great without any tape or plastic,

Just 1 coat of 99cent paint from home depot and presto. Only downside is they are thin sheets.

You could spray glue these to cardboard
QofVwQy.png
Y7xvHEN.png

Last Edited:
Now to use what you have on hand, I taped flatted 12 pack soda boxes, painted and embellished them
and I'm very happy with the results. 2 targets per box
tsIne9B.png

vu1Q7cU.png
Staedtler Geometry Compass (550 65 A6) $5.49
<broken link removed>

Z9P0eg2.png
Ua1HxvG.png

Last Edited:
These holographic Sheets from Dollar tree, 20 sheets for $1 work great without any tape or plastic,

Just 1 coat of 99cent paint from home depot and presto. Only downside is they are thin sheets.

You could spray glue these to cardboard
View attachment 430821
View attachment 430822
I really like this idea! I set out at least 20# of cardboard for recycling every other week and would much rather have someone take the usable long rifle boxes and the really big boxes to work up a good stack of targets.

Pretty neat but I've never seen the point of destroying your aiming point prematurely. Or that they're for .22 shooters that wanna feel like a big boy.

:hide

Pretty neat but I've never seen the point of destroying your aiming point prematurely. Or that they're for .22 shooters that wanna feel like a big boy.

:hide
Maybe that, or when you just need to not be bothered with a spotting scope or dialing in with irons. Mostly for the kids still making a connection and soon to be followed with Tanerite!

Maybe that, or when you just need to not be bothered with a spotting scope or dialing in with irons. Mostly for the kids still making a connection and soon to be followed with Tanerite!
Yea, I hear you. So often I see people drop the hammer and immediately crane to see the/a hit, if any. That's really a bad practice, practically speaking, for about any type of shooting save perhaps hunting.. not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yea, I hear you. So often I see people drop the hammer and immediately crane to see the/a hit, if any. That's really a bad practice, practically speaking, for about any type of shooting save perhaps hunting.. not that there's anything wrong with that.

As with a lot of us, we have taken a newbie (think daughter, son, grandkid, etc.) out shooting.

You teach them all the safety and the basics. Head to the range and put up paper targets. Click. BANG! They jump. They may smile/giggle. They keep shooting holes in paper. Oh yeah. Click, bang, hole in paper...... o_O

Now set out clays, pop cans, water bottles, pumpkins, apples, oranges, etc, etc, etc. Now it is click, bang, splat!!!! A lot more fun. A lot more smiles and laughing.

Reactive targets are addictive. Keeps the little ones entertained a lot more. If they can shoot and see something it keeps them interested in getting better.

I took a grandkid shooting and all I had at the time was paper targets. Got bored after about 15-20 shots. Had absolutely no more interest for about 2 years. Took them shooting again (with another grandkid) with reactive targets this time. Both had a great time and shot up about 300 rounds.

So yes, newbies initially taking an interest really do want to have "immediate gratification". Knowing that something really is happening other than click/bang/hole in paper.

Now, both those grandkids still want to go shooting and don't mind paper targets to practice accuracy. We still bring out the reactive stuff towards the end of "the day" for the fun factor.

Thanks for posting this! With the weather changing, I'm gonna have to make some of these.

:)

As with a lot of us, we have taken a newbie (think daughter, son, grandkid, etc.) out shooting.

You teach them all the safety and the basics. Head to the range and put up paper targets. Click. BANG! They jump. They may smile/giggle. They keep shooting holes in paper. Oh yeah. Click, bang, hole in paper...... o_O

Now set out clays, pop cans, water bottles, pumpkins, apples, oranges, etc, etc, etc. Now it is click, bang, splat!!!! A lot more fun. A lot more smiles and laughing.

Reactive targets are addictive. Keeps the little ones entertained a lot more. If they can shoot and see something it keeps them interested in getting better.

I took a grandkid shooting and all I had at the time was paper targets. Got bored after about 15-20 shots. Had absolutely no more interest for about 2 years. Took them shooting again (with another grandkid) with reactive targets this time. Both had a great time and shot up about 300 rounds.

So yes, newbies initially taking an interest really do want to have "immediate gratification". Knowing that something really is happening other than click/bang/hole in paper.

Now, both those grandkids still want to go shooting and don't mind paper targets to practice accuracy. We still bring out the reactive stuff towards the end of "the day" for the fun factor.

Thanks for posting this! With the weather changing, I'm gonna have to make some of these.

:)
Yea I guess your could call those "reactive targets".. I hear you.

We use to freeze colored water in margarine/yogurt/? containers and store them in a freezer. When we went shooting we'd fill the cooler with the colored ice and soda. These targets go splat nicely and you don't have to clean up after them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top