JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does any one do this?

I'm curious if anyone creates their own "nub" that they insert in their JHP.

My understanding is that it is to help keep cloth and or denim from keeping the HP from expanding.

I'm extremely new to reloading so feel free share as if you're sharing with an idiot.

Eagle

I thought about it also. What brought this on of course is Hornady. I called and asked them if they were going to make those fancy new bullets available to the public.

You know the usual answer: Oh were making too much money right now so those are only available in our factory loads.

Which I cant get in my caliber. That plastic has to stick in there and be of a certain durometer to perform its duty.

Does any one do this?
I'm curious if anyone creates their own "nub" that they insert in their JHP.
My understanding is that it is to help keep cloth and or denim from keeping the HP from expanding.
I'm extremely new to reloading so feel free share as if you're sharing with an idiot.
Eagle
Teachable, educatible, not idiot.
Will cloth, denim prevent a HP from expanding?
I doubt it, but I don't know for positive certainty.

A polymer tip.
Aerodynamic, contributes energy to initial expansion.
There's the welding flint inserted in a drilled .22, maybe makes it harder hitter?
There's the primer inserted in a drilled .45, maybe to make an explosive bullet?
Experimenters will experiment.
Marketeers will market
Shotgun high-base shells, vs low-base shells, vs all-plastic no-base shells.

Eagle
I like reloading, been at it for almost 40 years.
In the beginning, a chronograph couldn't be touched below $500 ('70s dollars)
Finally got a Chrony F1 when they first came out, now on sale for $70
I recommend you get a chronograph, and shoot your reloads over it. No more wishing, guessing.
That way you will know what your gun does with that bullet, powder, primer, case combination.
Caldwell is attractive at $131, includes a tripod.

Search youtube for reviews of loads with the standard XTP where they shoot it into a gel block that is covered in denim. ShootingThe Bull410 is a favorite of mine as he typically uses 5 shots instead of just 1 and focuses on the more challenging but popular concealed carry firearms such as the 380 and 3" barreled 9mm. My opinion of all of Hornady's JHP offerings based on videos that I have seen is that I'd rather have HST or Gold Dot, but I wouldn't hesitate to load up XTP for a SHTF/WORL ammo stash if I couldn't locate some Gold Dots.

ShootingThe Bull410 is exactly who prompted this post. I was wondering if there are any Do It Yourself ways to tip a hollow point that is near or as good as an XTP factory round.

Eagle

Keep in mind, there is a ton more science and engineering involved in projectile making than a hole filled with stuff (or not). This is especially true with controlled expansion bullets as in hunting and home defense.
I know just liking to find out if it's even been done.

Creating the mold would be the hard part, but it would be fairly simple using a polyurethane casting resin, like TAP Plastic sells. It is exothermic so it doesn't require a special cure, and should pop out of a mold fairly easily.
You can make the mold out of HDPE or UHMW, and it should last long enough to make it worthwhile.
The casting resin cures to a hardness that is similar to a high durometer rubber, so it's still relatively soft and flexible, as opposed to becoming hard and brittle.
Once the mold is made, you'll need to figure out a way to fill it, to insure that the finished product is free of voids.

I would think you could do this... with RTV or such... but would it stay in place ?

Would the recoil knock it loose in the barrel ? What about the loads in the magazine ?

If you could get it to "stick" into the HP opening ... it might be worth the experiment.... however, if the RTV did come loose and gum up the works ... well then it wouldn't be worth the extra effort.

Not really sure this makes much sense... the bullets you're buying off the shelf have already been designed to penetrate and expand just fine while "plugged" with denim. Usually plugging doesn't become an issue until it's with something like drywall. Frankly, most of hornady's offerings in JHP are several generations older than the current technologies. Barnes, winchester and many others offer some incredible bullets that don't need marketing gimmicks like plastic tips. Personally, I carry ammunition based on the caliber, for .45 ACP and .40S&W I carry the barnes, for 9mm and .380 I carry the PDX-1. Main reason, for 9mm and .380 the low impact velocity wants a softer bullet to expand, the winchester PDX-1 expands impressively, yet because it's bonded doesn't shed it's jacket. The barnes is a monolithic design, so no worries about jacket shedding or fragmentation. In the .40, I wanted a stronger bullet that would penetrate better with higher weight retention.

Keep in mind, there is a ton more science and engineering involved in projectile making than a hole filled with stuff (or not). This is especially true with controlled expansion bullets as in hunting and home defense.
I R an engineer, after the paper, slide rules and suppositions are laid aside , you may be surprised to know just how much unscientific tweaking gets done on the test bench. The engineers working for Edison started with theories and principles but ultimately ended up stuffing and electrifying, nearly everything under the sun in a vacuum tube in efforts to light the world. It reminds me of an old but still applicable quote "Blind luck triumphs over science every time"
I say, (within safety reason) if you want to cram your kids graham crackers in a hollow point to see what happens, Go for it! Just keep records so you can make sense of it all and back up your claims. Maybe you can say you bagged and marinated your next buck with one shot from a smores-06.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top