JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who's gone about the feat of making a DIY Magnetic Strip For Pistol Mags?
Not buy magnetic strips made for automotive wrenches and whatnot.

Pistol mags have always been a toss for me.
Then one day I bought a good stack of quarter-size Earth Magnets that attach by a screw.
I made a board, drew a line, laid my mags down the line for spacing, marked/screwed them one.
One problem I had, loaded mags take two magnets side-by-side. It worked for the time.
Then come more mags.

I've been re-thinking, and want to come up with something better and use the magnets I have.
I was planning to use a couple pieces of 1/8" x 1" length of metal, then put the earth magnets between. I'm not sure it will work yet, because I have to take apart what I have and modify things.

I mentioned being invested into the magnets and the metal strips.

One of my magnets will hold a full size loaded 1911. If it was flat on top.

Last Edited:
OP, I know you are invested in the magnets you own. I am trying to figure out if it cost effective and a proper use of time for me :rolleyes:
Ahh, Your response could go either way!! :)

The strip of metal was Home Depot.
The magnets in bulk from Aliexpress (dot)com
Look for magnets above N45 in strength

The Pistol Mag Rack is finished.
I decided to put the magnets in-line for best utilization.
*The Force Was Against Me* :D
This is on the interior over-head.
Note:
Previously I had the magnets in pairs, back-to-back. That was a waste of strength by a long ways. This way works for now.
The hanger for the EP, is Stainless TIG rod, I formed with wire benders.
The same rod was used to make a hanger for the rifle slings. Among other things.

Pistol-Mag-Rack.jpg

Last Edited:
I have a similar setup in my safe but I used different magnets.
These work well for pistols or mags; rubber coated as well so no finish wear issues.

Your solution looks great - holds a lot of items.

I have a similar setup in my safe but I used different magnets.
These work well for pistols or mags; rubber coated as well so no finish wear issues.

Your solution looks great - holds a lot of items.

Thanks.

I looked in-to, and those magnets are nice. My issue was cost -vs- area -vs- actual need -vs- I already had my magnets. LOL.
My method to get there is effective, and my total investment about $40.
The carpenter in me wanted to dado a channel into the plywood the width of the magnet, the depth being the thickness of the magnet.
Then to clean it all up, a layer of felt, glued to cover it all. That's if I was ambitious. LOL!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top