JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a commercial sewing machine just after the first of the year. So far I had mostly been just playing with it and practicing different stitches and how to attach things together. I found lots of things you cant do and ways things dont work and how not to do things.

I did so a fairly straight forward and easy repair job to some gear last week and it went well.

The first project I wanted to do is a radio bra for Ski Patrol built the way I want. I was up half the night working on this and think I got it all done (keep finding ways to make it better already).

With the PALS I wont need to build radio pouches now. The only problem I see is that the radios are semi hard to take off the PALS because of the hooks on the radios. This is good though so it wont fall out. When I am no Patrol and the family is up I carry the FRS otherwise I dont.

Of course we carry some first aid gear on us all the time we have our radios on. One of the things I dont like about pouches in the middle of things like this is everything falls to the bottom so I ran a seam down the middle so there is a top and bottom. While I normally carry a Sam splint in my pack some guys like to carry them on them. I had not planned on one fitting, but it does well and give a nice shape/structure to. In the top I have a some triangular bandages and a trauma dressing. If you get things pushed way back in the top far end they can be kinda hard to reach so I might sew in a piece of 3" webbing that loops to the back. That way when you pull it all your stuff will moved to the zippered opening.

I still need to build a tool pouch and a glove pouch. Overall I am very happy.

DSC_0008.jpg

Hey, that looks pretty good, nicely done! It's a great practical skill to have and will only get better over time.

Keep us posted on your projects. I'd love to see what you come up with next and how you perfect current projects.

Good point about cost. I bet I have about $10, $15 tops in material there.

On the other hand I have about $1200 in equipment (machine, cutters, rulers, clips, bins, ect). So it will take a lot of projects before I offset that cost but getting gear made exactly how you want is priceless.

I will be posting as they come along. Dont have any major projects planned, just lots of little simple things. Those are what build the skills for the big ones.

I have made some of my own leather holsters and about 5000 other things. With me I try to see if I can make something first then think about buying.

Next thing up along your lines of projects is I am outfitting my M1 Carbine and one of the things I am going to make are a few specially fitted bandoliers that will hold 8) 15rd Mags along the lines of the WWII era Stripper Clip Bandoliers. But I am going to make mine from a heavier fabric and radius the bandolier so the mags lay much closer to my side when I throw the strap over my neck. Looking at various Camo and OD Green fabrics. I'll just use the wifes sewing machine to do the seams.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top