JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How exactly is it a "terrible piece of writing"? You need to be a little more specific with your own writing when criticizing another's. Are you saying his writing skills are poor, or that you dissagree with his message or assessment, and why? Right now you just sound like a chastized child that says "nuh-uh, you're stupid" when he can't come up with a better counter-argument.

well if you think that person is making a good point, i dont see how what i say would matter to you. its hate speech and will only breed more hate.

A little fast and loose with the term "hate speach" I think. Maybe it is just painfull to hear uncomfortable truths. Yes, it is exagerate hyperboli, but the points he makes are valid. Try refuting specific points or making counter arguments instead of dismissing the author and intent.

Discussion is the purpose of the board, not just a whole bunch of people high-fiving and agreeing with eachother, right?

actually asking people to leave your society because they want to expand the role of society has no valid directive. exclusion breeds hatred and leads people to do terrible things to each other. i disagree with much of the way our culture is going but the letter in the OP shouldnt be seen as anything more than a joke in poor taste. if it wasnt meant as a joke, the author and those who look at it as a positive message should really try to do some critical thinking about their outlook on civilization. to improve the quality of life for everyone, we all have to work together and being lucky enough to land in a good place in life shouldnt be a prerequisite for respect.

Discussion is the purpose of the board, not just a whole bunch of people high-fiving and agreeing with eachother, right?

the original cynic Diogenes would say thats exactly right and i would agree but i will spare the chicken.

later edit: as another thought, maybe many of the people here should look up the info on him. its a good way to point out the great benefits of cynicism and why you shouldnt listen to people you look to for information without being critical of the viewpoints and underlying messages. not to be taken as a personal attack but i think it would do many people here a lot of good and may teach some of the old dogs here new tricks.

actually asking people to leave your society because they want to expand the role of society has no valid directive. exclusion breeds hatred and leads people to do terrible things to each other. i disagree with much of the way our culture is going but the letter in the OP shouldnt be seen as anything more than a joke in poor taste. if it wasnt meant as a joke, the author and those who look at it as a positive message should really try to do some critical thinking about their outlook on civilization. to improve the quality of life for everyone, we all have to work together and being lucky enough to land in a good place in life shouldnt be a prerequisite for respect.

No, we do NOT have to work together for evil.. period. there are some things worth fighting for

I would be on board with that proposal in no time. Any bets on how quick the "left nation" would collapse? What would the entitlement crowd do without the welfare checks all the hardworking Americans provide for them?

That is what We were saying also.
Who would pay for their obama phones?
Since most criminals would be going with them they could have their gun control also. We'll keep our Constitution.

well if you think that person is making a good point, i dont see how what i say would matter to you. its hate speech and will only breed more hate.
Hate speech....LMFAO!

Why do butchy girls and effeminate males always throw that term out. May I suggest using some mild soap to rinse the sand out of that mangina?

There is nothing wrong with hating something...like bad behavior, or bad policy. Hating a person for who they are is wrong, but it is not wrong for hating what they do. But then again, most libtards cannot commit to the concept of right or wrong, only how they feel about the situation...at that particular moment in time of course.

Hate speech....LMFAO!

Why do butchy girls and effeminate males always throw that term out. May I suggest using some mild soap to rinse the sand out of that mangina?

There is nothing wrong with hating something...like bad behavior, or bad policy. Hating a person for who they are is wrong, but it is not wrong for hating what they do. But then again, most libtards cannot commit to the concept of right or wrong, only how they feel about the situation...at that particular moment in time of course.

that pretty much solidifies my point. thank you.

well this isnt going anywhere anytime soon. when you want to have a conversation about the topic i'll be here. making personal attacks really doesnt help your argument.

well this isnt going anywhere anytime soon. when you want to have a conversation about the topic i'll be here. making personal attacks really doesnt help your argument.

Yeah, that "conversation" didn't really progress the way I had intended when I prompted you. There are those on both sides who would rather just agree with people who believe the same thing as they do, rather than discuss different opinions. I agree that we should always be skeptical of any information or ideas, especially when they come from the internet.

I do believe the original story was at least partially tongue in cheek, but to me it is usefull in initiating discussion over what causes the divides in society and what leads to the misunderstandings and strangely ungrounded yet vehemently help positions.

actually i dont think that it addresses causes for the major divides in our society, instead just points out some of the topics its involved in. one thing you do touch on is pretty important though, contrast is inflamed by personal beliefs rather than breaking the subjects into objects. i find the biggest issue would be that both sides say that they dont want to be bound by the beliefs of the other side but are demanding the other side conform to theirs. its something that will likely take centuries to come to terms with but could last for the rest of civilization. at this point free thinking at its truest form is still frowned upon by both sides, by the view of "if you arent with us, youre against us" mentality. the only real way any of us can understand anyones view on a subject is to humor the idea and investigate from that point of view also. most of the time we will find truth somewhere in the middle but other times we can get a black and white answer. the letter in the OP shows views to one extreme that denies validity in any other views. its really what makes it a fallacy in its entirety. even though it could hold some merit, it destroys itself by denying the possibility of inaccuracies.

actually i dont think that it addresses causes for the major divides in our society, instead just points out some of the topics its involved in. one thing you do touch on is pretty important though, contrast is inflamed by personal beliefs rather than breaking the subjects into objects. i find the biggest issue would be that both sides say that they dont want to be bound by the beliefs of the other side but are demanding the other side conform to theirs. its something that will likely take centuries to come to terms with but could last for the rest of civilization. at this point free thinking at its truest form is still frowned upon by both sides, by the view of "if you arent with us, youre against us" mentality. the only real way any of us can understand anyones view on a subject is to humor the idea and investigate from that point of view also. most of the time we will find truth somewhere in the middle but other times we can get a black and white answer. the letter in the OP shows views to one extreme that denies validity in any other views. its really what makes it a fallacy in its entirety. even though it could hold some merit, it destroys itself by denying the possibility of inaccuracies.

Interesting supposition, so what is your solution to the conundrum of the political/ideological/moral "divide"?

how about live and let live? its a view i see in this forum all the time but isnt exactly followed by that many people though. we dont really need to have our way all the time but all it takes is to make sure we retain our right to make our own decisions.

easier said than done unfortunately.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top