JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Be sure to post comments over on Examiner, too. You guys have just as much right to talk there as you do here and don't let any of my regular readers discourage your thoughts.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sensenbrenner working on bill to dissolve ATF

:s0010::s0169:
An aide to Wisconsin Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner confirmed to Examiner this morning that the veteran Republican congressman is working on legislation that would dissolve the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, merging the embattled agency into other federal law enforcement entities, as reported yesterday by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

<broken link removed>

Unless the BATFE people and budget are going to be transferred into the FBI and Marshall's office this has the chance of a paper raccoon on the sun of turning out well.

FBI and Marshalls don't have the people or budget to take this on, never mind the hassle of transferring and getting up to speed on the cases.

Let's not write it off too quickly (I say, trying desperately to believe that it can't get much worse).

It's not all that unprecedented. Remember when they moved Customs, INS and Border Patrol under DHS? One fat, bloated bureaucracy at the top, changes to titles, reporting structures, business cards, budgets, etc. Then it was business as usual.

If the goal is to reduce the redundancy, it's a noble goal but typically never actually materializes in the government.

On a positive note, I have observed that many of the IT systems at the FBI and Marshal's service are closer to modern than anything I've ever seen at ATF. Maybe that will help?

The implimentation would be interesting, and I like the goal, but I doubt they will take it for what it is. They will not see this as a reproach of their works and tactics, but as an oportunity to seize more power somehow and do more of the same.

I see it as a way of moving the background check and gun registry process into DHS. Perhaps a bit of tin foil hat thinking here, but I just have a hard time trusting any of them.

The goal of late seems to be to move almost everything under DHS.

Putting everything under one all powerful agency with all the resources, is not a good thing. Not "probably not a good thing" - definitely not a good thing

Put the ATF to work defending the border. It won't kill them to do some honest work for a change.

-----------------------------
Yes on 591, No on 594. Vote !

Last Edited:
Re-assigning the (dysfunctional) "function" of one Federal bureaucracy to another is a bad idea for obvious reasons, especially under this duplicitous regime.

Disbanding the ATF altogether, at least for the purpose of putting legal NFA transfers into a year-long + penalty box (and charging $200 for the insult) would be a huge step in the right direction. Players intent upon doing bad things with NFA gadgetry don't play by those rules anyway.

As it stands, the only enthusiasts who pay (in dollars, time and intrusive big-brother record keeping) are us law abiding schmucks.

HOTL-PPL1001.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top