JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in lane county and we don't have a lot of areas to shoot whatsoever, and a lot of areas I use to be able to shoot at 6 months ago are now closed because people can't clean their trash up. I have in the past brought garbage bags to clean up a bunch of garbage, but I lived at home then where I can throw away garbage whenever I needed to, for everyone who does go around to well known local shooting areas and clean up, where do you dump the trash at? Do you pay for dump runs or do you just throw it in your garbage and call it good? Looking to keep my areas open due to the scarce spots here in my local.

I'll fill a bag or two, whatever I can fit in the cr-v, and put it in the apartment dumpster. Can't get it all, but it's better than nothing I guess.

When I clean up the pits I go to it depends on how much garbage I have.
I always pick up shotgun hulls and steel rifle & pistol cases. I have a magnet from Harbor Freight for picking these up. I got free three gallon buckets from the Safeway bakery to put them in. I keep them separated, I pour the shotgun hulls into the Safeway grocery bags and throw them in the trash when I stop to get gas.
The steel rifle & pistol cases get dumped into the metal recycle bin at the local transfer station.
When I have three or four big black trash bags of garbage I throw them in a friend's small dumpster.
More then that I take it over to the transfer station to dump, it's right around $20 average in this area.
Last June wedding a major pit clean up. Actually two pits, we collected donation for the clean up, the dump fee for that clean up was a little over $1,200.
Bill from Trash NO Lands (Cogs) was a big help on logistics. He has some good contacts and was very helpful to us.
We will be doing a few pit clean ups this spring and summer. I put the clean ups out on the semi local gun forums and we had a notice on the local town chat on face book.
We had a great turn out, close to thirty people.
The help is out there if you post the clean up early and get right back to the guys that want to help out.
---------------------
The magnet from Harbor Freight is leaning against the white bucket with the yellow handle.
You pull the metal lever in the handle and the shotgun hulls & steel rifle & pistol cases fall right off in to the buckets.
20210529_095402.jpg

I live in lane county and we don't have a lot of areas to shoot whatsoever, and a lot of areas I use to be able to shoot at 6 months ago are now closed because people can't clean their trash up. I have in the past brought garbage bags to clean up a bunch of garbage, but I lived at home then where I can throw away garbage whenever I needed to, for everyone who does go around to well known local shooting areas and clean up, where do you dump the trash at? Do you pay for dump runs or do you just throw it in your garbage and call it good? Looking to keep my areas open due to the scarce spots here in my local.
You could donate it to the homeless camps, it will fit right in with the rest of their possessions.

I bring home a bag or two after shooting at the local area.
( I'll toss 'em in with my home garbage )
Maybe not the best method...but the area does look better and I feel good about it.

I have gathered more than a bag or two....usually its a dump run after this.
Andy

When I clean up the pits I go to it depends on how much garbage I have.
I always pick up shotgun hulls and steel rifle & pistol cases. I have a magnet from Harbor Freight for picking these up. I got free three gallon buckets from the Safeway bakery to put them in. I keep them separated, I pour the shotgun hulls into the Safeway grocery bags and throw them in the trash when I stop to get gas.
The steel rifle & pistol cases get dumped into the metal recycle bin at the local transfer station.
When I have three or four big black trash bags of garbage I throw them in a friend's small dumpster.
More then that I take it over to the transfer station to dump, it's right around $20 average in this area.
Last June wedding a major pit clean up. Actually two pits, we collected donation for the clean up, the dump fee for that clean up was a little over $1,200.
Bill from Trash NO Lands (Cogs) was a big help on logistics. He has some good contacts and was very helpful to us.
We will be doing a few pit clean ups this spring and summer. I put the clean ups out on the semi local gun forums and we had a notice on the local town chat on face book.
We had a great turn out, close to thirty people.
The help is out there if you post the clean up early and get right back to the guys that want to help out.
---------------------
The magnet from Harbor Freight is leaning against the white bucket with the yellow handle.
You pull the metal lever in the handle and the shotgun hulls & steel rifle & pistol cases fall right off in to the buckets.
View attachment 1116671
the magnet picks up shotgun hulls? thought they were brass?

Let's chat about that. Send me a PM and we'll see how I can help.

Good question! Thanks for expressing your concern.
Bill

If I bag 3-4 bags, it goes in the trash at home. Sometimes I'll only put 1 or 2 in per week, depending on how full the bin is each week.

For 5 or more, I'll typically haul it to the local landfill. My local outfit charges by the pound and the cost isn't much. Last Saturday I took 14 bags in and it cost $26. That was from 4 of us at 1 shooting site for 3 hours in the morning. Not a big deal but was nice to get at least 1 spot cleaned up.

If you want to get 3 or more people together, and bag 10+ or more, the Trash No Land organization will help reimburse for the disposal cost.

Let me know if you're up for that and I'll help you find volunteers. Heck, I probably will come join you!
Bill

the magnet picks up shotgun hulls? thought they were brass?
Most shotgun hulls are brass coated steel. After a couple of months on the ground they will start to rust.
I pick up two to five - 5 gallon buckets of them every weekend from spring to fall.

I'm going start saving the good ones to resell to shotgun reloaders.

The brass I pick up I separate by caliber, wet tumble it and sell it.

Find a homeless camp and throw it next to a tent.

Last weekend I threw it in Cogs truck. :s0112: But usually I toss it in my own trash can at home. If I haul something big and nasty it goes in the dumpster at church [I'm a trustee so I have the lock combo ;) ]

pit trash.jpg

Thanks everyone for their responses! I figured I'd ask and see what the general answer was, the area in question is pretty small and people don't respect it enough to clean up after themselves. I'm glad so many people on here care about keeping public lands open by doing their part!

Most shotgun hulls are brass coated steel. After a couple of months on the ground they will start to rust.
I pick up two to five - 5 gallon buckets of them every weekend from spring to fall.

I'd like to figure out a way to do this with the space I have to work with, I use an ultra sonic cleaner for my own brass but I know sometimes people can be picky with brass unless it looks brand new. I have hundreds (or thousands) of casings collecting that I've never cleaned, and would love to get out of my apartment😂

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top